Lotus Esprit vs. NSX?

I have been looking and notice that a 90s Lotus Esprit can be had for roughly the same price as an NSX...as they are roughly the same concept I was wondering what anyone thought on comparative performance, driving feel, etc...one thing about the NSX that I am concerned about is that it just seems so...civilized! Of course, I expect the people here to be a little biased :wink:

My relatively stock Esprit V8 TT will run rings around any relatively stock NSX. How’s that for being “a little biased”. Just look at my call-sign....:wink:

Having owned both cars for the past 6-7 yrs, here is what I have to say. I can easily fall asleep behind the wheels of my NSX, but I can’t help but getting excited every time I drive my Esprit. The NSX was my daily driver, rain or shine. She was extremely reliable, dependable, and user friendly. I can’t think of a better supercar that can serve daily duty. Quick hop to the groceries is mostly a non-issue. Ironically, it is the Esprit that has a bigger trunk to swallow up more stuff. However, what disappoints is the NSX’s lack of character and power. Push her beyond 6k rpm brings only incremental reward. A touch on the conservative side, understeer, the chassis is nicely tight and controlled with no hidden surprises. Yes, she is reasonably quick but way too tame and deceptive at speed.

On the contrary, my 98’ Esprit TT is a breath of fresh air. There was hardly a drive where my heart didn’t race with excitement. Yes the shifter sucks big time, but it forced me to come face to face with the well learn lesson name finesse. Properly driven, the Esprit is explosive yet tractable. Lugging around town is easy with plenty of torque down low. Once the tech hits 4k, power builds exponentially. With the sole addition of Hybinette blue chip, boost come on strong at 3k and she is deep within Viper territory. With the ability to take on a Super-bike or two, the only way for an NSX to keep up is go Supercharge or Turbo.

Unfortunately there was another reason for my excitement. Everytime I drove her, I don’t know when she will leave me stranded somewhere. I dreaded the times when I carelessly missed a shift or when the back-end came around all too suddenly once the turbo comes on. At 12k miles the CAT disintegrated. At 16k miles her clutch began to ride very high. Every refuel, I had to top off the radiator and she was mostly undriverable in Vegas summer. First the air-con blew everywhere but towards me, second she was always on the verge of overheating. At 18k miles, her engine finally bit the dust, but it was at no fault of the Esprit. Rather it was suspiciously a sabot ash in the making. It was a bitter sweet ending when I sold her to a fellow Lotus Club member but at least I’m making room for other toys.

Yes I do know people in my club that use their Esprit as daily driver. I love my Esprit when she was running well, but the constant problems and frequent break-downs finally did me in.

Best Regards
Paul

BTW, one can always build character and excitement into their NSX. I did…….

BTW, one can always build character and excitement into their NSX. I did…….
Very nice writeup Paul. You definately built some character into your NSX. :biggrin: -wonderful car to drive.

Will you be around this weekend? -i'm thinking about coming out for the Saturday LV track day and sunday get together.

There was an article by Car and Drive in 1996; tested F355, NSX, Viper, Covette, Esprit. Esprit finished last.

They got it right.
The Esprit did that well because there weren't more cars in the test.

BTW, I believe Porsche was in that test as well and finished first

Very nice writeup Paul. You definately built some character into your NSX. :biggrin: -wonderful car to drive.

Will you be around this weekend? -i'm thinking about coming out for the Saturday LV track day and sunday get together.

Thanks. Don't think I'll be out for the track but will see you on Sunday get together.

Best Regards
Paul

A friend of mine just picked up a 2001 Esprit V8 a few months ago. His O2 sensors, cats, gauges, and other somewhat minor issues have hampered him already. He's declined to participate in ralley drives and other get togethers for the simple fact that he is afraid of breakdown.
Someone mentioned kit car above. The Esprit certainly looks like one. The gaps in the body panels are awful. The design still dates back to the 70's, and it shows.

Esprit is a nice car. But a NSX is LEGEND!

The two cars aren't even comparable it just won't be fair for the Lotus.

Get the NSX.

And I'll put you in my 5! :smile:

Aviator? "callsign"

Screen Name........

4645Lotus_n_NSX.JPG

Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx! Nsx!

@Esprit

Thanks for the update on the Lotus experience.

As far as image is concerned, I think it depends on where you live. In the US the Lotus seems to be pretty much unknown but in Europe it is better known than the NSX.
I had heard about issues with the Lotus but I never realised it as (or good be) as bad as you describe. Lotus seem to have improved on their quality with the Elise then (although that's a different kind of car of course).

I was considering buying the twin turbo before i bought the nsx. I liked the power it put out and the style was not to bad once u put some wheels on it. I did some research online and joined the yahoo lotus boards to look around on there and ask questions. I was wary cuz everyone i know told me to stay away from the lotus. They just tell me to get the porsche 993 or nsx. I have a friend that had a lotus 1994 esprit s4. It looked wicked with some HRE wheels but it was not driven much because of reliability. I called a local shop and talked to the owner about maintaining the car. I don't remember what he said now, but i dont recall of labor and parts being cheap. They say the 2002 and up are the better ones to buy, but it was out of my price range in 2003.

Til this day, I still dont know any person that owns a lotus esprit. As for the NSX, I knew a few owners and liked the feed back from people who tell me it is a HONDA motor. It will run with no problem as long as you maintain it and the car won't depreciate much anymore. I went to look at a white nsx that had twin turbo on it and it was Spooler's at the time and he took me for a ride in the car around beverly hills and up to westwood and carving around the hills like a knife into a butter. I was sold! I was thinking to myself that this car feels better than my 911 c4 when I had it.
After a few months later, I ended up buying a 1993 nsx which was older than what I wanted but it was due to a friend who was going to turbo charge the car so I ended up with the older NSX because of obd 1. But in any case plans change and things went another route and I ended up getting the comptech supercharger.
For all its worth, i really love the feel of the NSX and the driving is effortless with no worries of it breaking down or leaving me stranded.

Back