LOTUS Announces Elise for U.S.A.!

Group Lotus PLC: Official Press Release - January 2, 2003

Lotus Announces Elise for USA

Group Lotus PLC and its subsidiary Lotus Cars U.S.A. Inc. will expand Lotus' presence in the U.S. market with the introduction of a U.S.A. specific version of the world-acclaimed Elise and a future product strategy that will include a new family of exciting models over the next few years.

U.S. sales of the 2005 Elise are scheduled to begin in mid 2004. The "Federal" Elise will retain the benchmark performance, handling and dynamics that have proven so popular in the U.K. and Europe but at the same time complying with U.S. regulations

The recipient of numerous industry awards and accolades for design, performance, drivability and handling, the Elise is constructed around a strong, rigid, yet lightweight extruded and bonded aluminum chassis. Consistent with the Lotus design philosophy of achieving performance and efficiency through light weight, this high tech chassis weighing less than 150 lbs allows for a complete vehicle weight of approximately 1700lbs (current European specification).

Demand for the product and high quality standards are key
A careful study of the U.S. market and the success of the Elise in Europe and the other markets have shown Lotus that there is a demand for a small, lightweight and very high performance sportscar in the U.S. While remaining a hand-built car, a new state of the art manufacturing facility at its Headquarters in Hethel, England has enabled Lotus to build cars at a higher volume and introduce unprecedented quality standards vital for today's demanding customer.

Arnie Johnson, Lotus Cars USA's President/CEO explains why Lotus recognizes the USA as a key market for the Elise and future models. "Our market analysis studies and surveys have overwhelmingly confirmed demand for the car. Based on customer and dealer reaction, we are very confident that the Elise will enjoy the same success here in the U.S.A. as in other markets.

The introduction of the Elise marks the beginning of a new era of growth for Lotus Cars USA as well as for our dealer network. Over the next few years we anticipate further expansion and growth with new models to follow for the U.S. market."

Lotus Cars USA will implement a plan to provide the highest quality sales and service support throughout the dealer network and add new dealers in key market areas, thereby making the brand more accessible to its expanded customer base.

Complete specifications and price for the USA Elise will be published closer to the time of launch in mid 2004. A copy of the current European Elise 111s specifications is attached for information.

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 08 January 2003).]

I think the rumor last year was that US Elise will use Toyota's Celica GTS motor. There is a guy here in the US who is about to install a S2000 motor into them and offer them for sale as trackday cars I believe.

The Elise may very well be my next car... Hopefully the drivetrain engineering will be refined slightly more before the US release.

It is about time that gem came here officially. Sun International does a US legal Honda conversion for the Elise now. I would love to see Lotus go that route. Proton (owner of Lotus) has used Mitsubishi to do their engineering in the past so that is a possibility. Lotus used to be part owned by Toyota before GM bought them. Observe the Supra tail lights on the Esprit. Not to mention that the MK 1 MR2 was designed by Lotus for Toyota. The engine was done by Yamaha. The Toyota powerplant was deemed too wimpy. The car world is mighty incestuous. I am going with Toyota or Honda, though. I understand that the reason that Honda changed their engine rotation on the new motors is so that they could source them to other manufacturers. Toyota and Honda have US spec drivetrains that fit the Elise's engine bay. I just might have to have one of these. I would be in so much trouble.
Now if we can just get Lotus back into F1.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

As most of you recalled in the May 13, 2002 edition of Autoweek, I believe.....the US spec for the Lotus Elise is as follows

-120hp, forgot the torque
-new front bumper to meet US safety crash tests
-1700lbs (additions of emission ready equipment and standard ac, leather, etc...)
-0-60 in about 5.7 sec
-priced at about US $38,500
-softer suspension than euro specs

not the track ready model in europe, but nonetheless a new breed of street sports....just so happened to have reviewed this issue last night during a re-run episode of married with children.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 10 January 2003).]

Originally posted by AznSXgirl:
I saw one at the last IDRC car show here. Lotus with a B18. The owner said he paid over $70k for it.
eek.gif

Sun's site calls out for $55k the last time I looked when I saw the one at the Autozotica meet last year.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
the tail lights look Ferrari... do they have any affliation with Ferrari?

That's what I said at first. Then I read over the post again and he was referring to the Lotus Esprit, not the Elise pictured above.

Confusing, I know.

A friend of mine is trying to buy one.

I believe he was told $45,000. $3,000 down payment now to reserve it.

Also, they'll be available 1st quarter 2004.

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T
http://tmeekins.com

Updated info from a friend working at Lotus. The Elise could be loaded with a 190-200hp engine capable of doing 0-60 in the low 4 sec. Deposits have started since last year's autoshow debut. A substantial $5-10k markup will be part of each deal. Both hardtop and softtop may be available with a base price of high 30s + premium.

Hmm...if we consider a fully loaded Elise at $45k + $10k premium = $55k + tax and license.
That's more expensive than Sun's Type R Elise.....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

That Elise is one hell of a car. Our Head tuner had the pleasure of working with Sun in doing the Honda conversion. It will be an excellent track car. We cannot wait till they come state side
smile.gif

Speed Safely,

Factor X Engineering www.factorxengineering.com

Stupid question, but which existing Honda R motor did they used for the Sun conversion? I assume it's ITR's and NOT NSX-R's?

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 12 January 2003).]

What I have heard:

-It will be a new model, the S3 otherwise known as their “world car” i.e. legal in all countries, including the U.S. Have not seen any pictures of it yet – the pics above are of the current Euro-model S2, and the pics in the sportcompactcar website are of the older S1 model.

-Still hush-hush on the motor, although the final decision has been made. Early rumor was that it would be a GM motor out of one of the Saturn cars, more recent persistent rumors what that it will be the Toyota unit, both of which are in the 200 HP ballpark.

-Weight may be a bit above the 1700 lbs target because of all the regulatory requirements. I did hear that they were looking at a different clamshell hood design for crash protection.

-Price is supposed to be $38.5k, but the dealers, in typical fashon will certainly mark that up substantially the first couple of years.

-A/C and a bunch of other stuff will be standard in the U.S. at least at first. The “Tracksport” model will not be available until sometime later. Makes sense, IMH, because id be willing to bet that most of the first batch of buyers will never take the car to a track anyway. The track model will probably be much too harsh and spartan for these people.

-Available early 2004 as a 2005 model. I’d bet the unveiling will be at next year’s LA Autoshow.

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

Back