Looking to get into Racing.

Any suggestions on the type of racing I should be looking to get into. Im looking to keep the cost down so I could race more often. Maybe kart racing, or Motorcycle racing. I have ben riding since I was 16 and can out ride most people in my area. I have seen some Kart races and they are so fast it looks fake. They just look like a blast to drive.

Anyone have experience with ether of these?

Im open for suggestions. I have seen a few spec Miatas going cheep maybe something like that.

I got into karting because it's much cheaper and a crazy adrenaline rush (2 stroke 125CC) but tires are expensive and need to be changed very frequently, ie if you're competitive, you'll want fresh tires every race.. then use them as practice tires after race. Truth is that you can easily end up blowing a lot of money in karting too. The 125CC 2 strokes will scare the crap out of you the first time you go full throttle into a corner!!

BTW get a smartycam mounted on your kart for full telemetry and video ... its awesome!

Here's a video of me when I first got my kart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRLNPAj8ss

Last edited:
I got into karting because it's much cheaper and a crazy adrenaline rush (2 stroke 125CC) but tires are expensive and need to be changed very frequently, ie if you're competitive, you'll want fresh tires every race.. then use them as practice tires after race. Truth is that you can easily end up blowing a lot of money in karting too. The 125CC 2 strokes will scare the crap out of you the first time you go full throttle into a corner!!

BTW get a smartycam mounted on your kart for full telemetry and video ... its awesome!

Here's a video of me when I first got my kart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRLNPAj8ss

Very cool video

Armando

Kart racing is really a blast. I finally sold mine because I never got to the track often enough. But they are a real rush and the G loading is intense.

A spec Miata is also a great place to start racing.

That looks like a blast! What kind of start up cost would I be looking at to get a good quality Kart with good quality gear? Is there a specific brand that are better then others?

PM sent.

What's with the PM relating to costs to get into carting. I wanted to see what you had to say too!!

I am now subscribed to 1560 threads. Scary! :)

This is actually old video from when I first got the kart. I'll put up something more recent which shows me hitting closer to 14k RPM's and over 100km/h down the straight. For me personally the adrenaline rush from this is 10x that of taking the NSX on a track (mind you I've only taken my NSX on track a few times. Still a beginner there). The sense of speed that low off the ground, and the insane G's through the corners make for some serious puckering up as you test the limits of the kart and the size of your balls!

Costs will vary but if you want to buy your own equipment, figure around $7500 for 2 stroke Rotax motor + chassis + tires. Add extra for extra mag wheels.. you'll also spend several hundred on race suit, race boots, gloves, rib protector, SA2005 full covered helmet. Add about $500 for race computer and if you want smartycam add another $1000 or so. All told figure about $10k unless you already have some of that racing gear. If you go 4 stroke instead (MUCH slower), kart will be about $5k. Set of tires is about $200-$250.

You may also need to add a trailer plus compressor plus tools which can add another few thousand depending on how cheap or exorbitant you want to go. Personally I just rent space at the track and leave my kart there.

These are canadian dollars but USD should be similar. If you get into an accident, MUCH cheaper than repairing your NSX -- just pull out the mallet and hammer it straight :) Everything is obviously cheaper except the tires which do not last very long.

How did you get the heads up display on the video?

Smartycam overlays automatically. Lots of different configurations you can choose from, to show throttle + brake response, tach, speed, water temp, G-force and direction, laptimes, etc. All encoded to nice 720x400 h.264 movies. Highly recommended!

Some people were asking so more info on smartycam:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/car/section_car_smartycam.htm

I have mine connected to my Mychron4 race computer on the kart but they also sell harnesses to connect to ECU on various cars (don't think NSX is available) but since it has GPS and accelerometer built in, you can still get standalone info without wiring anything else up. I haven't tried mounting it in the NSX but will attempt it in the spring.

...you'll also spend several hundred on race suit, race boots, gloves, rib protector, SA2005 full covered helmet. Add about $500 for race computer and if you want smartycam add another $1000 or so.

Be sure you buy a Karting suit and not a regular driving suit. Driving suits are fireproof whereas Karting suits don't need to be fire retardant. Karting suits are also known as "abrasion" suits for obvious reasons. :eek:

Be sure you buy a Karting suit and not a regular driving suit. Driving suits are fireproof whereas Karting suits don't need to be fire retardant. Karting suits are also known as "abrasion" suits for obvious reasons. :eek:

Have you ever seen the result of a kart flipping over and gas coming out of the tank between the legs. I assure you you also want some Nomex to protect you.

Gran Turismo 5 should have online racing (if it ever comes out). I imagine that to cost WAY LESS than any other option given here. :biggrin:

Back