Looking to buy home, but it has a gravel driveway. Is this a deal breaker?

There is a gravel you can have put down that over time will pack down in to a blacktop-ish surface. I couldn't tell you what it's called though.

I'm no expert but I was told (when I added gravel to the previous owner's gravel drive) that the original gravel was too big/course to really pack and the replacement stuff I got (finer) seems to become packed very well (especialy where the tires regularly run and where my wife's sport ute sits).

Parents have a similar length gravel driveway. If I had just washed the car I would usually just drive on the grass next to it. But even when driving on the gravel dust wasn't bad when going slow.

In other words, I would not hesitate to buy a house I really liked because of it.

Not sure why my post was ignored or skipped - but seriously, you should put an offer on the house with a contingency on the seller providing you $xxxx amount towards paving the driveway. (Let's say $5k or whatever). This removes the cost issue and removes the gravel issue.

If the seller wants the house gone, they'll most likely accept or meet you in the middle somehow.

We built our house in a dirt road subdivision, about a quarter mile from the paved main road.
We've tried twice to get the other houses together to pave it, to no avail.
The dust was epic, so we decided to at least deal with our cul-de-sac by putting 3 inches of Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP) down.
It's blacktop that is reground and applied cold, then compacted.
After more than a year, it's still fantastic.
NO dust once we hit our cul-de-sac, I'm hoping that the other residents see what we did and want to emulate in in the rest of the sub (not holding my breath though).
It's held up to UPS and garbage trucks, and even Winter snow plowing.....and costs a lot less than pavement.

Brian

How about making it glow in the dark...

doesn't solve your problem but at least it looks interesting

http://www.coregravel.co.uk/products/coreglow-glow-pebbles

glow2.jpg

Back