looking to buy an nsx 2005 or 1996 Supercharged

I currently found a 2005 nsx in black from Brooklyn, NY for $55,000 OBO w/ 2k miles. It looks stock except for the ugly chrome wheels. I waiting to get the vin# to check if it is salvage or not. Also, is it possible for them to forge the documents on the title to come up clean even if it was damaged?
The other NSX i was looking at is an 1996 nsx-t in midnight (purple) from St. Paul, MN (not to sure if i like the color although rare). it has a supercharger and volk te 37 wheels with a carbon lip for 35-40k and has about 30k miles on it. is their anything particular i should look for in these two vehicals. also, which one is a better buy a newer one with less modification or an older one with more?

Last edited:
rasir_x said:
I currently found a 2005 nsx in black from Brooklyn, NY for $55,000 OBO w/ 2k miles. It looks stock except for the ugly chrome wheels. I waiting to get the vin# to check if it is salvage or not. Also, is it possible for them to forge the documents on the title to come up clean even if it was damaged?
The other NSX i was looking at is an 1996 nsx-t in midnight (purple) from St. Paul, MN (not to sure if i like the color although rare). it has a supercharger and volk te 37 wheels with a carbon lip for 35-40k and has about 30k miles on it. is their anything particular i should look for in these two vehicals. also, which one is a better buy a newer one with less modification or an older one with more?

Unless there are major problems with the car like a salvage title or flood title, the 2005 you speak of is a scam.

Its possible but not likely that the owner was able to forge documents in order to have a clean title issued to a vehicle with a scarred history.

I would stay away from the 2005. It's very questionable, especially since its in Brooklyn, NY. The 96 seems like a better deal. But where are you coming up with the price? A 5K spread is huge. I can't see a seller advertising a car with a selling price of "35-40K"

Sounds like you have a lot of homework to do. Good luck.

The prices you are quoting on both cars don't make sense to me. There's got to be something wrong with the '05 for that price and I agree with SilverStone05 that a typical seller for the midnight pearl car wouldn't quote a $5 K spread. In fact, I think I remember the midnight pearl you are referring to but I can't seem to find it in the market section now and if I remember correctly, it was well over $40K due to the supercharger. If you can find a clean midnight pearl with 30K miles and a CTSC for $35K, let me know and I'll take it today. The CTSC should add another $5K or so +/- to the base car so I think a car like that would be more like mid $40s. A 95 midnight pearl with 24K just sold for $43.5K as perspective. Her's the post
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51298

the one with the midnight pearl is a friend of mine. thats why the price is low.

rasir_x said:
the one with the midnight pearl is a friend of mine. thats why the price is low.

If that's the case, does he need another friend? I would jump all over it for a $35K price and a supercharger, assuming it is a A/B quality car (i.e., maintenance records, timing belt /water pump done. service up to date, etc.) If he is really interested in selling it for $35K, have him PM me as I might be interested.

I would have to agree with everyone here. 55k for an 05 is a scam. I do not own an NSX but, have been looking at 02's and 03's in the mid 60's or so. If your interested in a 02 Black I found this. I don't know anything about this car and the price seems low on this one too. Maybe it is a really good deal?

http://www.nsxtraderonline.com/nsx-for-sale/listings/l0021.html

The Midnight Purple sounds like a really good deal. It would also be one of the rarest NSX's out there. Good luck.

Last edited:
It's more than likely this NSX...

01a4man said:
If your interested in a 02 Black I found this. I don't know anything about this car and the price seems low on this one too. Maybe it is a really good deal?

http://www.nsxtraderonline.com/nsx-for-sale/listings/l0021.html

I believe the aforementioned NSX is rebuilt/wrecked/salvaged/etc... or along the lines of that, as the seller operates a wrecking/parting business called ERZ who part-out high-end luxury & sportscars...

http://www.alltypeauto.com/acura3.html

For the price, if the work done is high quality & w/o compromise and within specs' by an Acura Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) w/ their all their diagnostic/laser/etc. machines & equipment... make an offer! I personally don't prefer 02+ in Berlina black, if it was another color (ie. Grand Prix White... ala' NSX-R :tongue: ) I'd seriously consider it.

Check: Car-fax (formality), Auction Databases, Florida DMV, Insurance Databases, Acura Dealer Computer Records, Parts Invoices, 3-4 Expert Bodyshop Opinions & In-person Inspection (a few actually on 'Prime!), Acura Dealer Service Shop Inspection/Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) by a shop that sees alot of NSX's and has experienced NSX Master Tech.

Being Brooklyn, I assume the 2005 in question is the same as the 2002 mentioned above.

ERZ/Peter & Joe Toth seem to run a smooth, reputable operation. I've bought parts for my NSX from them on many occasions, as well as other NSX'ers on 'Prime.

Regarding the Mignight Pearl, PM sent to rasir_x... :cool:

It's not a 'scam'. Call Joe and ask him. He's not too keen on e-mail..so callingis best.

I've seen that car in person when I was in Brooklyn at Joe's place. It's a 2002..as advertised on his website. It's rebuilt, and I don't think he would try to sell it as a clear title, just call him if you want more info, he will tell you exactly what happened to it. He is a very trustworthy guy and held a car for me for months before I picked it up.

Re: It's more than likely this NSX...

Osiris_x11 said:
I believe the aforementioned NSX is rebuilt/wrecked/salvaged/etc... or along the lines of that, as the seller operates a wrecking/parting business called ERZ who part-out high-end luxury & sportscars...

http://www.alltypeauto.com/acura3.html

For the price, if the work done is high quality & w/o compromise and within specs' by an Acura Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) w/ their all their diagnostic/laser/etc. machines & equipment... make an offer! I personally don't prefer 02+ in Berlina black, if it was another color (ie. Grand Prix White... ala' NSX-R :tongue: ) I'd seriously consider it.

Check: Car-fax (formality), Auction Databases, Florida DMV, Insurance Databases, Acura Dealer Computer Records, Parts Invoices, 3-4 Expert Bodyshop Opinions & In-person Inspection (a few actually on 'Prime!), Acura Dealer Service Shop Inspection/Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) by a shop that sees alot of NSX's and has experienced NSX Master Tech.

Being Brooklyn, I assume the 2005 in question is the same as the 2002 mentioned above.

ERZ/Peter & Joe Toth seem to run a smooth, reputable operation. I've bought parts for my NSX from them on many occasions, as well as other NSX'ers on 'Prime.

Regarding the Mignight Pearl, PM sent to rasir_x... :cool:

Sorry man I was trying to help out thats all.

they said it has a "CLEAN" title but still looking in to it.

rasir_x said:
they said it has a "CLEAN" title but still looking in to it.

All a clean title means is that there is nothing reported to the police/insurance/dmv. If someone wrecks their car and doesn't file a police report and covers the expenses out of pocket....it still has a clean title. You would never know the car was wrecked unless you did a close inspection.

My friend backed into my G35 and I had to replace the front bumper. They paid out of pocket, so I didn't report it. Hence, it doesn't show up on the carfax.

SilverStone05 said:
All a clean title means is that there is nothing reported to the police/insurance/dmv. If someone wrecks their car and doesn't file a police report and covers the expenses out of pocket....it still has a clean title. You would never know the car was wrecked unless you did a close inspection.

My friend backed into my G35 and I had to replace the front bumper. They paid out of pocket, so I didn't report it. Hence, it doesn't show up on the carfax.

Exactly, I bought an 03 Yellow last October. It had only 2,800 miles and came up clean on Carfax and "looked perfect".

Come to find out it was a piece of CRAP. The entire passenger side of the vehicle was repainted. They did a great job repainting and it was impossible to tell without a paint meter. But whole side was repainted nonetheless.

The tow hooks on the front of the car had been ripped off the frame by someone not towing it properly. The car always shook really rough when starting cold.

Besides doing a Carfax, I had an Acura Dealership in NY inspect it before I bought and they said it was good. Didn't find out how crappy it really was until I took it to my local dealership for it's first oil change and they started showing me all the problems. Luckily I only paid $65k for it and was able to trade it in at a dealership in Tampa for exactly what I had paid.

Lesson Learned: Be VERY, VERY careful when buying a used car , do NOT trust what you get from Carfax, and go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Yeah, i guess you shouldn't rely on carfaxes. I carfaxed my JDM type-r that i am currently selling and the car shows mileage fraud. to bad the customs and D.M.V. do not know the difference of kpm and mph when doing the paperwork. the customs wrote down 45,xxx km as 45,000 miles and the D.M.V. converted 45,xxx km as 27,000 miles.

tbck2793 said:
Exactly, I bought an 03 Yellow last October. It had only 2,800 miles and came up clean on Carfax and "looked perfect".

Come to find out it was a piece of CRAP. The entire passenger side of the vehicle was repainted. They did a great job repainting and it was impossible to tell without a paint meter. But whole side was repainted nonetheless.

Can you post the VIN of this car so others do not make the same mistake?

Im going to look at the 96 nsx-t midnight pearl this comming friday. It has a comptech supercharger, aem fuel rail, brembo grand-turismo brakes, probally exhaust, 18-19" bronze or black volk- te 37's, and if i recall a carbon fiber lip spoiler, painted rocker panels and rear carbon spoiler. Other than the usual cosmetics and tow hook check. what areas should i really look for with a F/I nsx. i have driven the sellers friends (my cousins) black 92 supercharged nsx a few months ago so i know how it should feel, but do not know exactly what i need to look for. like, wear and tear on a supercharger and motor. also, how is the matainance on a comptech supercharged car. is it more difficult or similar to a N/A tunned NSX, unlike the turbo's which i don't think i want to deal with. the vehical i recall has maybe 30k miles and he is asking maybe 40k. I will post pics next week when i go test drive it.

YOUR 2 CENTS HELPS,
THANKS.

Last edited:
I just went through a month long episode with scammers when I was trying to buy an 03 Hummer. The sellers of 3 different Hummers each claimed to be in London on business and had the vehicles in storage in New York, another in Denver, and a third in L.A. They were all ripoff attempts and the scam was that they asked for a $2k deposit to arrange a test drive. Of course you were supposed to get the money back later, but that will never happen.
I turned the whole mess over to the FBI Internet Fraud Division here in Houston, and if you run into such a thing I suggest you do the same. The FBI won't tell you anything after you do that, so don't expect to find out diddly later. Just be a good citizen of mother earth and turn the bastages in!

Zap

Back