Looking for help with valuation of my 1991 NSX

Hey all,
I have a 1991 Black NSX with very low mileage and in mint condition. I have not seen any other models from this year with this low of mileage. Only 4,882 miles. Wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it might be worth. I have seen other 1991's with at least 50,000 miles and they are going for 35K. So I have nothing to compare to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many photos attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0656_edit.jpg
    IMG_0656_edit.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0657_edit.jpg
    IMG_0657_edit.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0658_edit.jpg
    IMG_0658_edit.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0659_edit.jpg
    IMG_0659_edit.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0660_edit.jpg
    IMG_0660_edit.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0661_edit.jpg
    IMG_0661_edit.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0662_edit.jpg
    IMG_0662_edit.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0663_edit.jpg
    IMG_0663_edit.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0664_edit.jpg
    IMG_0664_edit.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0665_edit.jpg
    IMG_0665_edit.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0667_edit.jpg
    IMG_0667_edit.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0669_edit.jpg
    IMG_0669_edit.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0670_edit.jpg
    IMG_0670_edit.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0671_2_edit.jpg
    IMG_0671_2_edit.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0672_edit.jpg
    IMG_0672_edit.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0673_edit.jpg
    IMG_0673_edit.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0675_edit.jpg
    IMG_0675_edit.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0676_edit.jpg
    IMG_0676_edit.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0677_edit.jpg
    IMG_0677_edit.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0678_edit.jpg
    IMG_0678_edit.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0679_edit.jpg
    IMG_0679_edit.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0681_edit.jpg
    IMG_0681_edit.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0687_edit.jpg
    IMG_0687_edit.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0688_edit.jpg
    IMG_0688_edit.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0691_edit.jpg
    IMG_0691_edit.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 61
How many owners? Service records? Snap ring range? Storage conditions? There are a lot of factors that could influence your price.

For example, I paid 40k for a '91 with 16k miles on it. I was only willing to go that high because there were service records, only 2 owners (I'm the 3rd) and I was able to drive out in person to see the car, meet the owner, and take a look at how it was being kept.

First of all I'm sure that those that have viewed this post are wondering about several things:
1. How long have you owned the car
2. What kind of service records do you have for the car?
3. Why the heck aren't you driving the car?

Even with low mileage like this service has to be performed! Many feel that cars with no service history to speak of that hardly ever get driven present a dicotomy. On one hand it's nice to see such a low miler; on the other hand cars do better being driven on somewhat of a regular basis or stuff starts atrophying. In other words many would rather have higher miles and more service so that they know the car is fully operational and there will be no surprises or a long list of things that need attention just from lack of use.

With that said you surely have a rare one - that's a color combo some find extremely desireable. It is not like buying a new car however and that is something that makes it difficult to price. It could be worth over 40k to the right guy - problem is finiding him. Most would say 40k is the max cause you have to remember - no matter how you look at it if you get up around 50k then who wouldn't want the 6 speed and 3.2 motor? I know I would! Good luck with the sale. Hope it works out for you. Many on Prime have an idea what they'd pay for a car like this.

Thanks for Response

Thanks for the responses. I want to give you some info I have for the car. The car is still owned by original owner, we have all service records for the car. It has been stored in a temp. controlled warehouse since it was bought, so taken care of very meticulously. I have to find the transmission number in order to give a Snap Ring Range. Is there an easy way to go about that? The car was bought in 1991 brand new and the owner barely drove it because it was more of an investment. But the car does drive fine, it was just taken out recently to make sure it was fine and sounds like a brand new vehicle.

Welcome to NSX Prime! That's a very rare NSX, and due to its rarity I wouldn't hazard a guess. However, as an investment vehicle I'd wager that it probably hasn't fared very well in comparison to other forms of investments. What's the purpose of obtaining a valuation for the car? To sell, for determining insurance coverage, or just to know out of pure curiosity? There are vehicle appraisers that can give you a professional opinion if you need a precise number.

You can find the transmission number by following the instructions here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Transmission_and_Engine_Numbers

Meticulous care is about more than storage conditions, there are parts that deteriorate over time that need to be inspected, lubricated, replaced, etc. Those items factor into a vehicle's value.

Also, if it were my NSX, I'd remove the front license plate bracket.

Thanks for sharing the info on this beauty.

Last edited:
You might check the Haggerty website and use their vehicle valuation tool. They're a respected and much quoted source for collector car values, it also breaks values down into categories from a concourse show car to a well used daily driver. Doesn't mean you'll get that much but its a valid place to start.

I'm not sure how you'd call it an investment. In 91' I'm sure the price was close to 100k fir the car, correct? You would not get near as much for it now. I just see an investment in being if you paid less new and sell for more later on. Beautiful and rare find for sure.

Yeah that investment is now worth 1/3 what it originally cost. They might as well be using it.

Hello, it seems like you have a very nice early NSX. For the reasons described below, I would say your car is worth anywhere between $30,000 and $35,000.

1. Mileage - while 4k is low mileage, it is too high for the car to be considered a pristine collector item. We have seen several 91's here on Prime with less than 100 miles on the clock. These are the kind of cars collectors go for- essentially museum pieces that are run periodically to preserve life.

2. Maintenance - Compared to a Ferrari, the NSX needs fairly little maintenance, but it still needs it. Sitting in a climate controlled storage helps keep the paint and suspension looking clean, but does nothing for the mechanicals. Assuming the car has had no maintenance done and has just been sitting there, you will probably need about $5,000 to get it into a drive-away condition. Assume the rubber seals in the clutch and brake master cylinders are rotted/seized. The car needs a timing belt. The CV boots might be rotted and leaking. Same goes for all the rubber seals on the engine. If the car is not driving regularly, the fuel system is probably gummed up, meaning a tank clean, new lines and injector service. Similarly, the ABS system probably needs a flush and clean.

3. Parts - On the plus side, it looks like this NSX includes all of the original 1991 parts like the 15/16 wheels and OEM Yokohama AO22 tires. The interior looks very clean and there is only a little wear/creasing on the driver seat. Overall, this is a very clean car in need of basic maintenance.

If this car was fully up to date on all required work done by a dealer or NSX expert, you might be able to get $40,000 from the right buyer.

I imagine a buyer would need new tires as well.

try to get on the velocity channels' "whats my car worth"

Thanks for all of the help. The car has recently been maintained, we put around 5k into it. The owner just wanted to get an idea of what the car is worth and if it is worth selling or keeping for another 15 or so years, when it might be considered a classic. Maybe it might be worth close to what it was originally paid for.

Back