Looking for advice

I am looking to buy my first nsx. At first I was thinking about 1995 because of the targa top, but now I am leaning towards 1993 because of the price and I hear that it is a good buy for the pre-97 power increase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for aiding me in my search for the perfect car.

Welcome to Prime! Yes, the targa top is a nice option to have but only if it falls within your budget. I know I ended up spending about 10k more than my original budget.

First thing you should familiarize yourself with is the FAQ section. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm There's a wealth of info there, particularly this one: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/buy_sell.htm

If your budget allows, my 97' is for sale. ;)

Best of luck

Good advice from hlweyl. :smile:
Be patient. Your goal should be right place, right time, right price.
Deals are out there.

I fell within my budget, but then quickly added 6k more
Good Luck!

Hey where are you in WI? We have several owners around Appleton, and a bunch in the Milwaukee area as well. I know of a guy in Wausau too. If you are close to me, I am offering you an invite to meet up with us for a drink. We will give you some pointers as to what to look for in a used NSX. You can check out our cars as well.

PM me or reply here.

Hey thanks a lot for the info. I am actually in the western wisconsin area close to the twin cities but end up traveling all over the state from time to time so if i'm ever in your area i'll let ya know, I'd like to get in touch with some owners in the area so thanks again. you guys rule.

Hi all... well I've got a 93' with 97' brakes and wheels and 6-speed. What can I say, it's great. To each their own but I prefer the fixed tops stiffer handling, and looks top wise. It's obd 1 and no power steering.

Attachments

• nsx.JPG
    nsx.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
IMO... You can't go wrong with any year NSX whatever your budget is period!

They are a fantastic looking, ultra reliable, relatively cheap to maintain, rare and exotic supercar.

Just get the features you want...

If you like convertables... get the NSX-T
If you want a track car... get the coupe (lighter)
If you want a manual with power steering get 93+

etc... etc...

Whatever you choose... You have chosen the right car! :wink:

Take hlweyl's advice and read the FAQ.

Welcome

I gotta say thanks again to all of you. I've only been on prime for about a week and it's great. I know I'll be ready when I buy, now it's just a matter of being patient which will be quite a test. oh well at least there's snow on the ground, that helps to kill the anticipation.

AU_NSX said:
If you like convertables... get the NSX-T
If you want a track car... get the coupe (lighter)
If you want a manual with power steering get 93+

Sorry, but this statement is not true. In 1993, the only physical changes done to the NSX were the gauge cluster was updated, the cheap cup holders were added, dual airbags, and the newer a/c. Power steering was not introduced on the NSX(besides auto's) until 95/97(can't remember, but I think 95).
The benefit of going with a 93 is no snap ring issues/window reg. issues, and the new a/c and dual airbags. Other than those things, it's 99.9% the same as a 91-92. And then in 94, besides color changes, the 16/17 7 spoke wheels were added. ;)
Regards,
- Z

I'd definitely go with a 98-00 if you can afford it. The larger engine is worth it, I think, unless you plan to modify the crap out of it - then I hear the smaller engine is better. Just remember that as time went on the few problems that existed were found and fixed, so it may be better to find one that isn't that old (that's just coming from experience with other cars). Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your search, and as someone said before - no matter what NSX you get, as long as it was taken care of and is in good condition, you really can't go wrong :)

NSX FoYoAss said:
In 1993, the only physical changes done to the NSX were the gauge cluster was updated, the cheap cup holders were added, dual airbags, and the newer a/c. Power steering was not introduced on the NSX(besides auto's) until 95/97(can't remember, but I think 95).
The benefit of going with a 93 is no snap ring issues/window reg. issues, and the new a/c and dual airbags. Other than those things, it's 99.9% the same as a 91-92. And then in 94, besides color changes, the 16/17 7 spoke wheels were added.
Exactly correct. (Power steering was added in '95.)

Given that there are so many more '91-92 cars around (and that 80 percent of the '91 cars were not in the snap ring range to begin with), there is really little reason to look for a '93 instead of a '91-92. All you are doing is narrowing the number of cars you are looking at, so you are less likely to find a car that fits your other criteria.

The big changes were in '95 (when 98+ percent of cars were the NSX-T with its removable roof panel) and in '97 (with the bigger engine and six speed transmission). Because of those changes, there is a price jump in those model years for otherwise-similar cars. If you want the NSX-T and are willing to pay $6-8K more for it, then look for a '95 or later. If you want the 3.2-liter engine on your NSX-T and are willing to pay another $8K or so for it, then look for a '97 or later. Beyond that, though, unless there is a specific color you want or unless you have some other very specific need (e.g. you usually have a passenger so you must have the passenger side airbag), there is no reason to worry about variations within the three categories ('91-94, '95-96, '97-05).

Eric C. said:
I'm curious about the window regulator being updated in 93'? does this mean no need to install fix it thingies??
According to the TSB (number 93-004), the problem can occur in the '93 as well as the '91-92. If I were buying a '93 with an uncertain window regulator status, I would buy a pair of the thingies and have the door panels opened to check them and, if necessary, install the thingies. Of course, that makes it just like a '91-92 in that regard.

Hello, I know of guy with 1992 red/black with.... get this 900 Miles, he want's to sell his NSX.

email for contact info if interested.

Bram

headshot99r6 said:
I am looking to buy my first nsx. At first I was thinking about 1995 because of the targa top, but now I am leaning towards 1993 because of the price and I hear that it is a good buy for the pre-97 power increase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for aiding me in my search for the perfect car.

NSX FoYoAss said:
Sorry, but this statement is not true. In 1993, the only physical changes done to the NSX were the gauge cluster was updated, the cheap cup holders were added, dual airbags, and the newer a/c. Power steering was not introduced on the NSX(besides auto's) until 95/97(can't remember, but I think 95).
The benefit of going with a 93 is no snap ring issues/window reg. issues, and the new a/c and dual airbags. Other than those things, it's 99.9% the same as a 91-92. And then in 94, besides color changes, the 16/17 7 spoke wheels were added. ;)
Regards,
- Z

nsxtasy said:
Exactly correct. (Power steering was added in '95.)

That is interesting....

How do you explain my '93 WITH power steering? :confused: ?

There is no mistake either! It was a factory delivered manual with power steering!

Also, I do not have ANY cup holders?

Everything else seems correct. I don't need the power windows thingy, I have the dual airbags, etc...

Is it possible that the specification differed between the US delivered Acura's and the Australian delivered Honda?

As some support to this, I believe all Australian delivered NSX's came with the factory "fog" lights in the bumper. I see most US delivered Acura's don't have these either?

singer to answer pbassjo.

And where else can I check for nsx's for sale, I check autotrader almost everyday and here too. I've seen a few random things listing them for sale but nothing that has too much to offer. And there seems to be nothing in the St. Paul Mpls area, I've seen 3 for sale in the last 6 months or so. I guess this area isn't real friendly to exotic cars, but I might just be missing something. Thanks again for all of your infinite nsx wisdom. You guys rule.

Last edited:
AU_NSX said:
How do you explain my '93 WITH power steering? :confused: ?

There is no mistake either! It was a factory delivered manual with power steering!
There are several possible explanations. As you note, it's possible that the AU-spec cars had different equipment from the US-spec cars. It's also possible that power steering was installed after it left the factory, or that the car was originally an automatic that was later converted to a manual.

AU_NSX said:
Also, I do not have ANY cup holders?
Again, this could be a difference in standard equipment between markets, or a center console that was replaced after leaving the factory.

AU_NSX said:
I believe all Australian delivered NSX's came with the factory "fog" lights in the bumper. I see most US delivered Acura's don't have these either?
That's correct; there are no factory fog lights in the US-spec cars. However, the Canadian-spec cars have daytime running lights in the front air dam. (They are required by law in Canada.)

nsxtasy said:
It's also possible that power steering was installed after it left the factory, or that the car was originally an automatic that was later converted to a manual..)
I know the full history of the vehicle and it was never an automatic. It was owned by Honda Australia and used as their "show car" down here before going to the owner who I bought it from.

Do you know if power steering was an option at all? As a show car/demonstrator, if there were any options available then it makes sense that they would have put them in their "demonstrator"?

I only have a brochure for the '91 model year and there weren't too many options... The Japanese brochure seems (if I could read Japanese) to have many more options than the Australian brochure

As for the centre console, I don't think any Australian delivered NSX came with cup holders... I tested a '98 auto, and it didn't have cup holders either...

nsxtasy said:
Again, this could be a difference in standard equipment between markets,.)
I think your right here... This appears the most plausible explanation for the differences...

So, at least you have been able to correct my post for the prospective buyer in the US market, and highlight the standard features that they will find on the US market NSX's :wink:

Anyway, I'm sure headshot99r6 or any prospective buyer living in the states would not be interested in an Australian delivered NSX because
1. They are a lot more expensive down here
2. They steering wheel is on the other side... :biggrin:

But I learned something today... Thanks guys!

<B>AU_NSX</B> : Wow, that makes your NSX even more special. :D It also shatters my belief that auto's had power steering.

BTW, don't you know Ken is always right? He's actually a server-side bot that draws answers from the FAQ database. ;) :D

Back