Loading Track Wheels.

Jeff A said:
I searched long and hard for a hitch with a receiver, so it could easily be removed. But the NSX has no standard frame, I could not figure out a way to mount a hitch other than by bolting it to the bumper. And I could find none of those types of hitches with receivers (i.e. where you can remove the tongue and ball easily). Hitches with receivers are really big (so they don't fit) and also really heavy. We don't want 20 to 30 pounds back there.

It would be great if together we can come with something better though. We'll see.
Yep... once we get more details I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions (folks with deeper understanding of our chassis' structural integrity) to see where our mount point options really are. If we can rig up some sort of "partially remove-able" setup, then weight is not as big an issue. The weight of a class-1 (1-1/4" inch square) receiver isn't too bad, so long as you don't need to lug it around the track :)

Offhand it sounds like you've gotten a decent solution, and I look forward to studying it further. Hopefully its not too hard to adapt, even with aftermarket exhaust systems.

Somewhat unrelated and potentially non-applicable, but might trigger some ideas... check out this cool hitch fitment on a 300ZX. Sorry, Mr. Nazi -- this is a repost from awhile back :eek:

###################

BTW the ABS circuit you got -- I know from whence it came :)
Good luck with the NSX-R suspension... I'll try to get a ride in at WGI.

For those who are thinking of carrying tires in the passenger side.
Caution: If another vehicle hits you perpendicular (T-bone) to the passenger side, you can suffer very serious injuries. Please see forum: New and Prospective Owners, under thread: New NSX Just Got Totalled. Imagine where the tires will go after impact.

nsx1164 said:
Yep... once we get more details I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions (folks with deeper understanding of our chassis' structural integrity) to see where our mount point options really are. If we can rig up some sort of "partially remove-able" setup, then weight is not as big an issue. The weight of a class-1 (1-1/4" inch square) receiver isn't too bad, so long as you don't need to lug it around the track :)

Offhand it sounds like you've gotten a decent solution, and I look forward to studying it further. Hopefully its not too hard to adapt, even with aftermarket exhaust systems.

Somewhat unrelated and potentially non-applicable, but might trigger some ideas... check out this cool hitch fitment on a 300ZX. Sorry, Mr. Nazi -- this is a repost from awhile back :eek:

###################

BTW the ABS circuit you got -- I know from whence it came :)
Good luck with the NSX-R suspension... I'll try to get a ride in at WGI.

Great idea... really bad spelling. Ha. :D (see link)

Jeff A said:
I could not figure out a way to mount a hitch other than by bolting it to the bumper. And I could find none of those types of hitches with receivers (i.e. where you can remove the tongue and ball easily).

Jeff

I, too, have a trailer to tow my race wheels. It looks like you have the same Harbor Freight utility model. It was a kit for about a $150 that I built myself. But not being much of a DIY kinda person, I went to a couple of truly remarkable guys at Hitchcrafters in Costa Mesa (they're famous all over So Cal for their work). It took them a day but they found a way to weld a receiver hitch to the car. Very light weight. The tongue and ball easily come off and only a small 1 inch hole shows in my rear valance so literally no one knows I have a hitch until I use it. It's completely invisible unless you're looking for it. And yeah, no problem hauling my 225/17 275/17 Kumhos, race jack, helmet, tools, and a cooler.

It made a world of difference for someone that has to work alone. Driving 100's of miles on R compound tires just to get to an event was a real waste of treadwear. Not to mention illegal. Now I show up with everything I need without the extra wear. It might look strange, but I use timing slips to impress people anyway. (OK, that's just trash talk. I really don't care what people think, I just like driving the darn thing.... on R's)

t

This is just what many, many of us need!

How about some pictures, Tank? We need to analyze the various methods by which those of you on the cutting edge have done this.

zoomnsx said:
Caution: If another vehicle hits you perpendicular (T-bone) to the passenger side, you can suffer very serious injuries. Please see forum: New and Prospective Owners, under thread: New NSX Just Got Totalled. Imagine where the tires will go after impact.
Based on that topic, I highly doubt that that precise crash would cause "very serious injuries" to the driver if there had been tires on the passenger side. Granted, it might have caused very serious injuries to a passenger, if there had been one - but that doesn't mean that we should all stop carrying passengers in our cars, does it?

Tank said:
But not being much of a DIY kinda person, I went to a couple of truly remarkable guys at Hitchcrafters in Costa Mesa (they're famous all over So Cal for their work). It took them a day but they found a way to weld a receiver hitch to the car. Very light weight. The tongue and ball easily come off and only a small 1 inch hole shows in my rear valance so literally no one knows I have a hitch until I use it. It's completely invisible unless you're looking for it. And yeah, no problem hauling my 225/17 275/17 Kumhos, race jack, helmet, tools, and a cooler.
Please post more info on this, including PIX from various angles if possible.

Also, can you provide contact info on the Hitchcrafters folks, ideally the tech that did the work on your car ??

Depending on which rear valance you have, the 1" square hole (or 1-1/4" depending on which class fitment you go with) can be hidden somewhat, particulary if its in the "black colored" areas. BTW, to get to the locking pin that secures the tongue, is this relatively easy to access ??

Thanks -- Manuel

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Jeff, is the hole cut in the red bumper cover, or in the black rear valence below it?
IIRC, the rear license plate extends down to the edge of the (body color) bumper cover, and it looks like the hitch tongue comes out BELOW it.

From some pix I've seen, it looks like the 1" square (?) hole is cut in the portion of the (black) lower valance that has the small "slits" (to dissipate exhaust heat?). If its non-removable, the hole might be a slightly-smaller "slit" (~ 1" wide x 1/2" tall) instead of a square hole.

Some folks have painted parts of the lower valance panel (below the "slit" area) in body color, to give the illusion of a "floating" lower rear diffuser. For these folks, its possible the hole MAY be more visible.

nsx1164 said:
IIRC, the rear license plate extends down to the edge of the (body color) bumper cover, and it looks like the hitch tongue comes out BELOW it.

Yes, it's in that vertical black valence directly below the license "tag" as they say down here in the south. It's 2" x 1/2" for that class 1 tongue. It's exactly the height of that strip just below the plate.

Having taken off the rear bumper assembly and added a hitch, I could imagine a way to do a receiver if you were doing a full custom job with welding. You could weld just a receiver to the steel bumper, directly underneath the bumper (where the tongue comes out on one I did). That would probably work. That would be interesting to try. I didn't have the means to do that.

Jeff

Last edited:
Opening up new thread in the "Track/Race" section to cover hitch/tow setups, specifically for use of track trailers.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40071

NSX Maven said:
How about some pictures, Tank? We need to analyze the various methods by which those of you on the cutting edge have done this.
EDIT: I added some pix of Tank's hitch setup in the above thread.

Suggest we continue these discussions there, to keep this thread on-track with the original post.

Last edited:
This seems to be an old topic but I thankfully came across it searching how to get a set of tires into the car. Nobody had posted pictures of this (as original poster requested) so I took a few shots and a few notes when I was packing up the NSX last night.

1. Ken is right about the FAQ on getting tires in the car being wrong RE putting one in the footwell. I can get the tire into the footwell (standing up) but the door won't close. The (front, stock size) tire has too large of an overall diameter by several inches. There is no way.
  2. I cannot get a rear tire behind the passenger seat, but I'm trying with 245/45/15 size tires and I have a harness bar. If I didn't have the harness bar and/or the tire were stock width it would probably fit, but I think it would stick out and probably make it impossible to close the door.
  3. There are 2 different ways to put the two tires on the front passengner seat: Standing vertical (Ken's instructions) or laid flat (front one on bottom). Flat allows one to see most of the side mirror...but absolutely prevents use of the e-brake. I'm opting for vertical because it's just not safe to block the e-brake (doing so knowingly would probably in crease one's liability in the chance of a related accident).
  4. Visibility is better than I expected (with both tires-in-seat arrangement), but I wouldn't recommend putting something (like a helmet) on the tire behind the passenger seat because that would block some of the view out the rear & side windows. Here is a picture of the visibility (from driver's position) with both arrangements (note the side mirror in the one vs the other).
    SR121748.jpg

SR141761.jpg
  5. If you're standing them vertical I found they have to be packed one of two specific ways in order for the door to close (clearance is very close where the door curves in near dash). This might not be the case with stock widths (my rears are 2cm wider). Essentially the rear tire should be flush up against and parallel to the console (both tires will have their tread parallel to the glove box) or the rear tire should be anged so it's inside the bolster. Either will tuck the front in enough for the door to clear...but anything in-between seems to not.
  6. If your rear tires are larger in diameter than stock I don't think they'll fit in the trunk. If your combined front+rear widts exceed 450 (i.e. 245+205) I don't think you'll be able to get the door closed with them verticle in the front seat.

More pictures at http://latzke.us/photo/nsx-tires-in-car/

(Attaching above two photos in case I ever move/delete the ones hosted off my web site.)
SR121748.jpg SR141761.jpg

latzke said:
I cannot get a rear tire behind the passenger seat, but I'm trying with 245/45/15 size tires and I have a harness bar.
I've never even tried. I put a front tire behind the seat.

latzke said:
Visibility is better than I expected (with both tires-in-seat arrangement), but I wouldn't recommend putting something (like a helmet) on the tire behind the passenger seat because that would block some of the view out the rear & side windows.
No, it doesn't. Looking to the side, it blocks out view of the B-pillar, and doesn't block any outside visibility. In the inside rear-view mirror, it doesn't block anything; it's behind the headrest, which doesn't even appear in the mirror.

latzke said:
If you're standing them vertical I found they have to be packed one of two specific ways in order for the door to close (clearance is very close where the door curves in near dash). This might not be the case with stock widths (my rears are 2cm wider). Essentially the rear tire should be flush up against and parallel to the console (both tires will have their tread parallel to the glove box) or the rear tire should be anged so it's inside the bolster.
My '91-93 stock-size tires go inside the center bolster and the tires are not angled at all. You are correct that the rear tire goes on the inside and the front tire on the outside. It also helps to leave the passenger window open when loading, to hold the tires in and keep them from falling over.

nsxtasy said:
I've never even tried. I put a front tire behind the seat.
I never said you tried to put a rear behind the seat and I think it's pretty clear you do put a front there. Not sure what your point is. I did try because I think it would be nicer to have two front tires in the front seat (and they will fit there with seat fully slid and tilted forward). Alas, I'm pretty sure a rear won't fit beind the seat so it can't be done.
nsxtasy said:
No, it doesn't. Looking to the side, it blocks out view of the B-pillar, and doesn't block any outside visibility. In the inside rear-view mirror, it doesn't block anything; it's behind the headrest, which doesn't even appear in the mirror.
My expereince was different...luckily I was still packed up from yesterday and was able to try again. First/immediate try was unsuccessful as the space between the tire and roof didn't fit the helmet well.
HPIM1790.thumb.jpg

Once I moved things around a bit (moved seat as far tilted/slid forward as I could with tires on seat and shoved down on the tire behind the seat to force it down a bit more) the helmet fit better, resulting in only a very minor impact in visibility.
HPIM1791.thumb.jpg

That it didn't fit in the first place is probably related to my harness bar taking up space behind the seat.

I took some photos when I was packing the car for my recent, ill-fated trip to the track. As you can see, I packed the helmet in the trunk.

wMTMwODUzMjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTMwODUzMzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTMwODUzNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTMwODUzNDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

ChopsJazz said:
Ken, are there two fronts in the passsenger seat?
No. One front is behind the seat. There are two tires on the passenger seat; the tire closer to the driver is a rear, and the tire closer to the door is a front.

ChopsJazz said:
And again, sorry about your engine.
You and me both...

Back