limited edition PS2 really that limited?

I remember when Sony announced these for the Japanese market (towards the end of 2001), but I don't recall hearing the announcment for the U.S. In fact, I'm not sure they did bring them to the States.

The Sony Metreon (in San Francisco) has the only PlayStation-exclusive store in the U.S., so I wouldn't be surprised if they would sell them there.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Don't know anything about a Limited Edition Playstation but I have a Playstation question/complaint.

I am not a big game person but I needed an additional DVD player last Jan so I decided why not spend the extra $150 to get a Playstation so I could get some games too. (I purchased about 32 days before the price dropped from $299 to $199 so I missed out on the 30 day price guarantee)

I have probably used the Playstation less than 10 times to play games and less than 10 times to watch movies. Very limited use.

Now it will no longer turn on/power up. I have checked the obvious things: power outlet, on/off switch on the back. Any ideas?

I didn't worry too much b/c it's still under warranty, right? WRONG. Playstations only have 90 days warranties. What's up with that? Everything else by Sony has at least a 1 year warranty, which is what I assumed I have.

Any ideas on how to fix or what to do with it? I bought the extra control, 8-10 games, the remote control etc. Anyone know how to fix Playstations that would want to buy the whole set, fix and selll (or keep)?

I have probably used the Playstation less than 10 times to play games and less than 10 times to watch movies.

Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your PS2. I'm really abusing mine. I sometimes drag it along when I travel too.

I am a fairly big gamer and have been using my PS2 at least twice a week for gaming sessions (I also use a PS2 at work nearly every day to play games during my lunch hour) and have found myself moving it into the bedroom for DVD playback far more than I ever expected to (I far prefer watching movies on my stand-alone DVD player and THX home theater system, but sometimes my wife and I just like watching movies and especially the extra features from the comfort of our bed).

Now it will no longer turn on/power up.

I bought mine for $299 during launch week and have had absolutely no problems. Can't say I've ever heard of problems with a PS2 not powering up...perhaps it's just the cable. If you have other Sony products (like a Handycam or a Cybershot camera), you could try using one of their power cords (a lot of Sony devices use the same cord between the transformer and the wall).

That said, I certainly had interesting problems with my original first generation PlayStation. Like many early adopters, I had problems with it overheating (turning it upside down helped, but after awhile it would hang when playing video, hitch during streaming audio, and eventually fail to boot games). That said, on occasion I can still "jump start" games by opening the lid, pressing the button, and spinning the disc. I got a second PlayStation when the price dropped which has had none of the problems my first had. Of course, I have little reason to use the PSX nowadays since the PS2 plays PSX games.

Playstations only have 90 days warranties. What's up with that?

I could be wrong, but I think most video game consoles only offer 90 day warranties.

I purchased my PS2 about a year and a half ago at Circuit City. I think it was for an extra $15-20, I can purchase an extended warranty. I think it was for a year or two, not exactly sure. I didn't buy the extended warranty.

Anyways, no problems so far on my PS2.

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 05 December 2002).]

i think they only offer a 90 day warrenty because most people that buy a console unit play it 18hrs a day for the first 12 weeks...
wink.gif

Back