License Plate Problem

my license plate is currently stuck on the car. one of the bolt spins freely but will not back out and come off. im assuming whatever it is that the bolt screws on and bites is now spinning freely along with the bolt

how the hell can i remove the bolt? :frown:

I would think that you'll probably have to cut it off.

my license plate is currently stuck on the car. one of the bolt spins freely but will not back out and come off. im assuming whatever it is that the bolt screws on and bites is now spinning freely along with the bolt

how the hell can i remove the bolt? :frown:

Well, you might have to cut it off, but that will increase the size of whatever loose bits you end up with bouncing around in the space behind the plate. I don't know whether that is a closed space.

Before you cut, let me suggest trying this first. Slide a pry bar under the bolt to lift it away from the plate as much as possible. With that pressure maintained, try again to back out the bolt. That doesn't always work -- maybe fifty fifty, but it's worth trying. The withdrawing pressure pulls the captive nut against the back plate and the friction may be enough to hold it while you back out the bolt. Put WD-40 on the bolt first and give it time for capillary action to draw the oil into the threads.

But consider this, before you continue: If you don't go to an NSX mechanic to fix this, what are you going to use to replace that bolt once you get it out? Using a large sheet metal screw on an NSX would be a painful solution. If you're going to pay for a proper fix anyway, you might as well let the mechanic do the removal as well. Just pick a good one. It's easy to scar up a car solving a problem like this.

hmm will drilling the middle of the bolt help at all? as in progressively going bigger in drill bit size until its as big as the old bolt?

is it a seperate bracket behind the aluminum bar that holds the bolt?:mad:

i know for sure its not a closed space

Why bother asking us knuckleheads.....just pm the man...Joe L.:cool:

Back