Let's talk depreciation!

Background: Former multiple new NSX owner (hopefully in the line for a '15 NSX) - purchased a new 2013 Porsche 991S in Jan '13 . Tired of waiting on what Acura was doing.

Then the GT3 was announced w/photos + specs & thought wow, this would be a great car to own & found a local dealer with an open allocation.
Did a configuration on line & presented it to the dealer.

Next - see what my car would be worth. They offered me my original MSRP -25% + TTL against the GT3. Originally I got $ off MSRP on my car.

My car is perfect, low miles etc etc. This is not going to happen.

In WA State we receive tax credit for the amount of trade so you pay tax (9.8%) on the
value difference only - dealer transactions only.

Do not recall ever taking hits like this on any NSX to NSX purchase..ever (or any car for that matter).

The thing is, the 991 is a great car & has been flawless...we'll see.

The more I see of what's coming on the '15 NSX, well you know ha!

Last edited:
here in canada for normally driven (miles wise) cars that are forever in production, 'fair' depreciation is about 50% current market value (brand new or not) every 3 years.... this is what i see for 'normal' cars.

the 911s imo hold up much much better then that (compare with amg coupe of same year, milage, brand new pricing as a 911)

however, based on my frends seeing how much their p-cars are worth the p-car dealer, i've seen 25% deprecation in merely 6 months, 40% deprecation in 18 months etc etc. the p-car dealers offer 15-20% under market value.

the nsx holds it's value incredibly... it's so rare, and they stopped making them almost a decade ago.... if they were still in production i'm sure they would still hold their value much better then average, but by no means at these numbers.

edit - ive said it before but your car is stunning.

Last edited:
Like myw said... If the car is in production forever , the car will depreciate more. I hope the new Nsx will be in $150k and don't produce as many like Vette or P cars, the car will be less depreciation.

Don't feel sad ...... McLaren 12C's magically lose $80k in one year.

:eek: !!!

the other thing is that provided they still produce the car you've own ... it still drops in value regardless of how little its driven... ie a 5000 mile 2005 porsche 911 will be worth less then a 5000 mile 2008 911, even if they are identical in all respects, other then year.

Don't feel sad ...... McLaren 12C's magically lose $80k in one year.

It would depend how the demand is for the new one. Honda's generally hold up because its deemed reliable as used. But hybrids depreciate worse than normal cars.
I think the more it cost the more it will depreciate because the demand for the new one will be less because of the price point. If its in low 100's it will be like the R8 v8 10-15k off per year, if its in 150's like the R8 v10 it will take bigger % depreciation.

The pop up headlights NSX are now insurable under "classic car" insurance which is REALLY fricken nice if you insure under agreed value that is locked in. For example state that the value of ur NSX is $100k, pay something like $55/month, have garage, dun commute in it and no more than 3k miles.

If some schmuck boinks u from behind and totals it they just cut u a check for $100k, no BS.

AAA does this.

U should research this.

To me that is what I determine depreciation since I dun plan on selling the NSX for less than $100k (thanks to the mods I poured into it).

The pop up headlights NSX are now insurable under "classic car" insurance which is REALLY fricken nice if you insure under agreed value that is locked in. For example state that the value of ur NSX is $100k, pay something like $55/month, have garage, dun commute in it and no more than 3k miles.

If some schmuck boinks u from behind and totals it they just cut u a check for $100k, no BS.

AAA does this.

U should research this.

To me that is what I determine depreciation since I dun plan on selling the NSX for less than $100k (thanks to the mods I poured into it).

was there a age requirement for it to be considered classic?

Not trying to derail the thread much, but the reason I didn't go with classic car coverage is because of all the limitations. Car can't be overnight anywhere other than your garage, no getaway hotels for the weekend, etc. with my luck, the one day I take it to a nice hotel for the night with my wife it gets stolen and I get $0.

- - - Updated - - -

To the original poster. I know this really wealthy car guy, he currently owns about 20 cars, Ferrari 599gtb, Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini murcielago, couple miata spec cars, al Unser jr's old race car, M3 track car, etc. I asked him one time, if you could only keep one car which one would it be? He pointed to the front of the house to his white 991 C4s and told me it does everything he needs from a car 90% as good as cars designed to only do that one thing. Big endorsement for the new 911s, they are just spectacular at everything.

Last edited:
was there a age requirement for it to be considered classic?

Not sure about other locales but here in BC Canada you can get Collector plates with much reduced insurance premiums.
There are two criteria; either 25 years old or over 15 years old with limited production volume.
In either case the car must be stock or with very limited modifications, and must be in excellent condition.
I have Collector plates on my 91.

You can also obtain Modified Collector plates for cars 1958 or older and this class allows significant modifications (i.e. "hot rods") but insurance rates are higher.

P-cars always seem to take a big hit for some reason. The window sticker on my 04' Cayenne S was right around $72k.....I bought it as a lease return 39mos later and paid $31k with 29k miles and a clean carfax. Audi tends to follow same trend. Bought my 03' RS6 for $28k with 47k miles and clean carfax in 08' and the sticker on that was $82k.

Hence the reason I will never purchase a new car. I guess that the possible high repair/maintenance costs may play into the sharp decline once warranty is up.

- - - Updated - - -

With the collector insurance here in NJ any car can be considered for "collector" status and it allows you to bypass emissions/safety inspection. You are required to pod a one mile lap proving odo is in working order and can drive no more than 3k per year. Historic plates are a bit different....16 years old and can only be driven to and from shows and events.

As far as "stated" value on these policies goes. They come do an inspection on the car and you agree to a reasonable value. My NSX is insured through Haggertys which is prolly the best/largest Insurer of the "collector/historic" status cars and there was no way they would agree to anything close to $100k on my car. Granted at the time my mod list was only a mild motor build w/super charger along with suspension/stereo to go with it but they aren't stupid.

I currently have my '05 NSX with Hagerty Insurance and they didn't have any issues covering it. Yes, there are minor constraints involved with going with them, but nothing I couldn't live with given the cost.
I may consider the new NSX after it's been out and I can physically see it. Depreciation is one concern, as well as the inevitable minor problems to work out in the first year of production.

Hey thanks but i think that if you don't take it their person next in line would get moved up. If you know otherwisw, please let me know. I am on another list and should find out at the end of Jan. not that easy to get one.
Thanks again

Porsches are way too common...they depreciate like crazy and can lose half their new value in as little as 24 months!

I think all European cars are like that.

The anticipated repair costs and how the customers like the latest and greatest cars/gadgets tend to drive down price.

Case in point.

Back in 2000 my mom retired. As a present my dad bought her a brand new 320CLK. today with only 50k miles (it's a grocery getter for them) her car is only worth $6k.

Back