Let's talk about the AMG Mercedes engines...

Sig

Experienced Member
I love seeing big numbers put down by cars, but for some reason it irks me the way in which Mercedes gets to their numbers. You have a marque brand, charging top dollar for their vahicles, but using unimpressive technology in their engines.

The pushrod ZO6 engine impresses me more than MB large displacement supercharged V8's used to get 550 hp. That said, the AMGs are certainly performers.... I guess I just want to be wowed by more than just the numbers.

They might use some old tech and FI to get high numbers, but their cars perform! Who cares how it is made.

It doesn't bother me if they use FI or not, just as I wouldn't care if the next NSX used FI. On the other hand, I do think it is sad that even with FI they still are not able to pull out over 100hp per liter. There are plenty of other high dollar cars doing this with or without FI.

That is true, but you cannot knock a trap speed of 117+MPH on a E55! IMO, no 75K 4-door sedan should be able to leave a 90K exotic in the dust.

Of course, it also leaves a Z06, 355, 360, Lotus V8 and many others in the dust :)

No I sure can't! They certainly are screamers.

What will be interesting is how all these MB supercharged engines are holding up in 3 or 4 more years. Even though the past few years have produced some of the most beautiful Mercs ever (imo), their build quality has gone down the tubes on all of their models.

Everyone I know with a new/newish MB has a handful of problems all the time with their cars. They frequent the dealership about as often as I buy groceries.

Well, you know all new AMG models are now ditching FI. Mercedes has said that they will be able to achieve the same amount of HP without the use of forced induction.

I am really looking forward to those cars!
The first is the new SLK AMG.

Sig said:
That said, the AMGs are certainly performers.... I guess I just want to be wowed by more than just the numbers.

In that case go drive any of the AMG cars. I have and I will be the first to say, WOW! IMO Benz has a perfect blend of performance and luxury. Two weeks ago I test drove almost every model Mercedes produces. I was not only impressed with the cars but the salesman was unbelievably sharp about everything Mercedes.

I would love to be sitting at a stop light in a 55 next to some young punk in a Vette. When the light turns green, blow his doors off. The entire time having my A$$ massaged by the ultra luxury seats Benz offers.

Even the C class is a great car for the money. A little small for my taste, but damn for 32k one could buy a decent AWD car.

I think I may buy a E55 sometime over the next couple of years. I just didn't want to drop that much loot on a vehicle which my G/F will put 48k miles per year on. She just ran up 80k on my BMW in just around 16 months.

Re: Re: Let's talk about the AMG Mercedes engines...

steveny said:
In that case go drive any of the AMG cars. I have and I will be the first to say, WOW! IMO Benz has a perfect blend of performance and luxury. Two weeks ago I test drove almost every model Mercedes produces. I was not only impressed with the cars but the salesman was unbelievably sharp about everything Mercedes.

I would love to be sitting at a stop light in a 55 next to some young punk in a Vette. When the light turns green, blow his doors off. The entire time having my A$$ massaged by the ultra luxury seats Benz offers.

Even the C class is a great car for the money. A little small for my taste, but damn for 32k one could buy a decent AWD car.

I think I may buy a E55 sometime over the next couple of years. I just didn't want to drop that much loot on a vehicle which my G/F will put 48k miles per year on. She just ran up 80k on my BMW in just around 16 months.

I love Mercedes new AMG line...some of the sharpest looking cars on the road. Only thing I dont like is the fact that they offer some of their stylings that should be AMG specific on other cars (AMG rims, front bumper covers, rear bumper covers, etc). I think they need to make the AMGs stand out just a little more.

Blowing the doors off a vette AND getting massaged would be classic!!!

Re: Re: Let's talk about the AMG Mercedes engines...

steveny said:
In that case go drive any of the AMG cars. I have and I will be the first to say, WOW!

I have driven 3 and the performance is just like you said.. wow. Unmatched in any other sedan, for now at least... I guess the new M5 should be on par. The idea of the thread was to take the raw performance numbers out of the equation, i.e. hp, 0-60, 1/4mile, etc.

When I say I would like to be wowed, I was referring to an admiration for innovative motor engineering. In my mind, this equates to more than 100hp per liter.

I think the AMG engines are great, but I don't like the fact that Mercedes just simply throw in that supercharge V8 into any of their cars and call it the top of line.

I recently purchased a 2003 S55 and I must say that you might not think the engine is hi-tech enough, but it has loads of torque and gets great mileage for such a big car. I have been getting over 20mpg when I drive the car somewhat mellow. It does drop to around 15mpg when I drive it hard though.

They have a clutch on the supercharger so it doesn't hurt the mileage too much unless you use it. It idles great and redlines at 6.5K, not too bad for a big V8. The straight line performance is better than a stock NSX and I have beat a C5 corvette from a stoplight while gettting a massage from my seat!

I owned a 2000 M5 before and I must say that I like the engine in the S55 MUCH better. The transmission takes a little getting used to, but in manual mode it works pretty well.

Sig said:

Everyone I know with a new/newish MB has a handful of problems all the time with their cars. They frequent the dealership about as often as I buy groceries.

Not sure how many people you know, but I sure haven't found this to be the case at all, or maybe you just don't buy groceries very often ;)

Back