Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned - Pics of my truck added

This is way off topic but I thought it was worthy of posting so that someone, even one person might be able to benefit from my mistake.

On this past Saturday April 10th, I went to Las Vegas to visit my brother. We decided that the weather was so nice that we would indulge in one of our favorite activities which is to explore some of the many off road trails in and around the Vegas area.

This particular time, we choose a 38 mile dirt trail called Cain Springs Road which goes to an out of the way town called Elgin.

Everything was good for the first 20 miles or so and I decided that since it was beginning to become dark that I would speed up a little to make it to Elgin before dusk. Big mistake!
At mile marker 36, I came across a turn that was tighter than expected and lost control of my truck. I careened into a ditch and flipped 3 times before coming to rest upside down. My brother and I were able to free ourselves from the crushed cab and luckily were able to get help from passing motorists. From the time of the incident till we arrived at the hospital was over an hour. If we had been critically injured, there is no doubt in my mind that either one or both of us would be dead.

Fortunately, I escaped with some cuts, bruises, and about 10 stitches while my brother was relatively unscathed. We counted our blessings and have a completely new outlook on life.

What were the lessons learned?

1) Accidents can happen anywhere anytime to anyone. Live your life without regrets and be the best person that you can every single day.

2) Never ever assume that good luck and experience is a guarantee of your safety. I have been off-roading for years and up until this event, I thought that I was Ivan the "Ironman" Stewart. If you ask me now, I am Jeff the truckless dumbass that almost killed himself and his brother with a fat ticket to prove it.

3) Be involved with people and be a good samaritan. Over 20 people including the paramedics, nurses and strangers that stopped to help us were the kindest people I have ever met. They didn't know us but their concern and assistance is something that I will remember and appreciate till the day I die. I know that I will probably never be able to return their kindness to them but I can help someone else who needs assistance like I did when the opportunity presents itself.

4) Slow down! I can't emphasize this more. Streets and highways are dangerous and off roading is even more so. The risk of serious injury and death is not worth the miniscule amount of time that you think that you gained through being careless. If one or both of us had died that night, anything and everything that I thought was important to me wouldn't be worth crap right now.

I know that most of you already know this but sometimes enlightenment is something that must be shared and I have by all definitions been enlightened by my experience.

Wishing you all a safe trip no matter where you go.

-jeff-

Just got the pics from the insurance company.. Thought I would add them for those that are interested. Links are courtesy of my good friend Brent.

http://www.brentblain.com/images/toyota1.JPG

http://www.brentblain.com/images/toyota2.JPG

http://www.brentblain.com/images/toyota3.JPG

Last edited:
reality-check...

hmmm, Jeff... it's great to know you and your brother are doing fine- relatively speaking (god-willing). Thanks for the reiteration of the experience.

There is time when we all need to check ourselves (b4 we wreck ourselves- sorry, no pun intended: jus' a song). . .

Take some care man...
:)

When I'm in a hurry trying to save some time, I try to
remember a line that someone told me:

Better to lose a second in a life
than
lose a life in a second.

Jeff, sorry to hear about your accident, and I'm glad you and your brother came out of it okay. Those are some good life lessons you learned, too bad you had to wreck your truck first though. I was hospitalized a few years ago from a brain aneurysm and found out I'm lucky to be here still. I now tend to treat life a little more special too.

But I have to say, this quote:
Originally posted by blknsxnoc I thought that I was Ivan the "Ironman" Stewart. If you ask me now, I am Jeff the truckless dumbass that almost killed himself and his brother with a fat ticket to prove it. -jeff-
made me laugh right out loud.

Be good!

Oh man!! glad you and your brother are ok.....On the bright side, I guess your "forced" to use your NSX as a temporary daily driver right?

Hope everything works out and I'll see you at a meeting soon!:cool:

-Mel

I know what you mean. Back in December I was driving home at about 3am out in the country in my other Supra...RIP :p

All the snow had melted that day and it had been nice, however overnight the runoff had frozen back up and I did not notice all the black ice on the edge of the roads. While exiting an S curve at about 55-60mph the I lost the back end, did about 4 slides trying to recover and eventually ran out of road. I missed a telephone pole by about 3 feet based on my skid marks down into the ditch.

I entered a muddy field at about 40mph and the front driver's wheel skipped over a driveway to the field and then planted itself into the mud and flipped the car 3 times. Thankfully I held onto the steering wheel hard and planted my feet dead to the floor. On the exit of the first roll everything that wasn't bolted down in my car exited out the passenger window, including the hat on my head! I would have gone out too but I was wearing my seat belt so instead I got my shoulder and face smashed against the b-pillar a few times.

The car ended up on it's side and I took a minute to figure out what was going on. I was absolutely fine. I seemed to have re-broken my thumb (old hockey injury). I crawled out of the top of the car and surveyed the situation and laughed my ass off. It was more of a nervous laugh but I was feeling pretty lucky to be alive. Haha I bought another 88 Supra just because the solid heavy boat of a frame probably saved me a lot of pain.

Let's just say I don't drive the same way anymore, I have a little more restraint. And I never drive aggressive with anyone else in the car. Cheating death by 3 feet is a great story, but not one I care to repeat. Glad you're okay.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the support everyone.

Osiris - I wrecked myself before I checked myself.. :)

CKS Papa - You're line fits the bill perfectly here.

Chopsjazz - I knew these things before, just never had as much meaning to me till now and I still feel like a dumbass. :confused:

Spinner - No such luck here.. driving an econobox till I replace the truck but I will be at the meets in the X.

Satan - Sounds like you and me might've chewed some of the same dirt.

O-Ace and PHOEN$X - Thanks for your kind words.

Drive safely everyone.

Finally got pictures

Pics have been added.

For those interested, see links on first post.

Back