Lens for my Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Hi all,

This question is for the shutter bugs here.

So I have a 6.3 megapixel Canon EOS Digital Rebel which came with an EF 55-200mm and an EF-S 18-55mm lens. I'm pretty new to SLRs in general, but I've read that the lenses provided are borderline at best.

Anyway, I'm looking to get more lenses and more immediately, one that would be good for wide-angle shots. I know that lenses can get very expensive, and being that I'm quite new to this, I don't think that I want to get anything too costly.

Any suggestions on what I should get? I typically like to take scenic shots. Any help would be great. Thanks!

There are a number of online photo review sites that can answer your question. I have the same setup, and have also been considering a new lens or two.

I'm currently looking at the Canon 30d with the EF16-35 mm f2.8l lense. This combo has been recommened by several Prime members that are excellent photographers. Unfortunatly the lense costs almost twice what the camera costs :eek:

High performance glass is the way to go if you can afford it but the question is do you really need it ?

You really need to evalutate what your shooting needs are then decide if you need a lens with a 2.8 f stop.

If you are shooting where you do not need the high shutter speeds to stop the action and there is sufficent light any lens will do.

A nice lens that won't hurt your wallet is the Tamaron AF 19-35mm f3.5-4.5. It's not an "L" lens, but it gets the job done very well. Even though I agree that the you should get the best lens possible, if you can't spend the big bucks, don't let getting another brand stop you. Either way, you still have to post process every digital picture that you take.

i have the camera with a stack of sigma (mainly telephoto) lenses. when i asked prime member rsoxx (64? don't recall, but a very highly regarded photog here - great work!) suggested immediately moving from the sigma lenses to canon lenses for a variety of reasons. he has also suggested moving to image stabilization, so i'll do that as i begin transitioning to the canon lenses.

having said that, back when i transitioned from canon rebel film to canon digital, sigma re-chipped (and paid for shipping) all of my lenses for digital use at no charge... easily the best customer service i've seen in a bazillion years.

good luck - fun camera.

Since you're not on a very high-res camera, you don't necessarily have to go for the L glass - but it definitely wouldn't hurt if you've got the cheese for it. I personally prefer Sigma glass if I'm not going to go Canon, but that's me.

You're going to have a problem finding a wider lens than that EF-S 18-55 for your Rebel, due to the crop factor provided by the smaller sensor. Is there something you don't like about the lenses? Are you unhappy with their performance? Otherwise, if you're just READING that they're not very good, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

My favorite "walk-about" lens is the Canon 28-135mm IS. Image stabilized, pretty wide range, tand under $450. Can't beat it for value versus performance.

nchopp said:
...My favorite "walk-about" lens is the Canon 28-135mm IS. Image stabilized, pretty wide range, tand under $450. Can't beat it for value versus performance.

That's the same lens that I have on my camera's 90% of the time. It is a great all purpose lens, and the "IS" really helps when you're not using a tri/mono-pod.

CDX_NSX said:
...but I've read that the lenses provided are borderline at best.

I've been shooting as a hobby for about 14 years (mostly film and now digital - learing how to use Photoshop too), so I have some advice. I'm no pro, but I'm ok.

My first question is: How do you know these lenses are borderline at best for what you want to shoot?

I know I'm making an assumption here, but I'm guessing you that you are considering upgrading b/c you are not happy with your pictures.

Are you not happy with the quality of your photos and are the lenses to blame? Are the pictures soft because of the lenses or your hand shaking? Are the pictures exposed improperly b/c of the lenses or the wrong setting? Are the photos unexciting b/c of the lenses...or ?

My guess is that since you are new to SLR photography, its not the lenses. After you get more experience with composition and exposure, you will know its not the lenses. Some of the best photography I've seen was done with an old manual camera and some was even done with a basic pinhole camera, which is why I say it's not your lenses.

My point is this: Don't go paying more for new lenses unless those lenses are for a specific purpose (like the huge white $3K L series lenses for sports photgraphers or the 1.4 L series 50mm lens for professionals, etc).

Don't upgrade the lens just to upgrade and b/c others say you should.

I think the lenses you have now are great for the type of hobby / scenic photography you plan to do. Generally with scenic photography you will have lots of available light, so you don't need those high speed (like 1.4 for 2.8) lenses. You can also clean up most digital issues with Photoshop Elements (less than $100). Use your current lenses for a while and if your photography starts to bring you income, then invest in some expensive lenses.

I also like the Canon 28-135mm IS, but remember that on a Digital Rebel camera it will be a 44-216mm lens, so that won't help you with the wide angle.

Finally, you don't need the wide angle lens yet..just step back a few feet and your field of view will be wider with your existing lens.

Last edited:
Gonna have to say you're wrong about the 50mm 1.4 - GREAT lens for beginners and pros alike. Primes are good because they force you to stop and think more about composition and positioning - zooms will let you get lazy. That, and they don't make f1.4 zooms. :) Oh, and it's cheap.

Wow. Thanks, guys. Great info! :)

Actually, I'm not really unhappy with the lenses that I do have; although, reading about their being somewhat borderline level lenses does get me wondering if I'm missing something. This is, however, not a huge concern at this point.

Primarily, I was thinking of getting something that would allow me to get more scene into each frame. For some reason, I get a little frustrated with how much picture I can get. That said, I agree that it's probably just my novice showing. :)

I've got a lot of reading and experimenting to do. I've had this camera for quite some time now, but never got around to seriously using it until recently. :D

Thanks for all the info, fellas. I knew you'd come through. :D

PS. I'm open to further input. :D

CDX_NSX said:
...PS. I'm open to further input. :D

There's one thing to always remember about photography. The camera never takes a bad picture, it's the idiot holding the camera. :biggrin:

DocL said:
There's one thing to always remember about photography. The camera never takes a bad picture, it's the idiot holding the camera. :biggrin:

Damned tripods! :mad: :biggrin:

queenlives said:
i have the camera with a stack of sigma (mainly telephoto) lenses. when i asked prime member rsoxx (64? don't recall, but a very highly regarded photog here - great work!) suggested immediately moving from the sigma lenses to canon lenses for a variety of reasons. he has also suggested moving to image stabilization, so i'll do that as i begin transitioning to the canon lenses.

Thanks for the ego boost!

CDX: The glass makes the most difference with the photos being taken by the latest generation of digital slrs. You mentioned you are new to slrs in general so I would suggest that you get used to shooting with your current set up before investing in better glass. Until you learn composition and lighting you probably will not be able to appreciate the difference in results being gained by switching to L series glass. Shoot as often as you can and practice with changing your composition and exposure settings with the same subject so you can get a better understanding about what to expect. If money is no object then I would say take the plunge and go with the L series but you would be better served by sticking with what you have and learning the basics before upgrading.

I also like the Canon 28-135 IS with the caveat that your 1.6x factor will result in a "loss" on the wide end but the IS is a great feature. If you are new to slrs then the IS will result in a larger number of "keepers" due to the reduction in "lost" photos resulting from camera shake.

When you master the basics and have some (aka "a lot") of spare change then try a Canon 28-300L. I use that lens as an "everyday" lens despite its weight and find its versatility is incredible in almost every type of conditions. Be prepared for sticker shock because it goes for a little over $2000.

Enjoy the camera and shoot it often to hone your skills.

nchopp said:
Gonna have to say you're wrong about the 50mm 1.4 - GREAT lens for beginners and pros alike. Primes are good because they force you to stop and think more about composition and positioning - zooms will let you get lazy. That, and they don't make f1.4 zooms. :) Oh, and it's cheap.

I agree 100% with your comment on the prime lenses. I use my 50mm more than any other lens for the exact reason you mention. It requires me to pay attention to composition and positioning rather than trying to figure out which zoom setting to use. In addition, it lets a lot of light in, so low light exposure becomes easier to manage.

CDX_NSX,
If you do add a new lens, get a basic ("standard") 28mm, 35mm or 50mm lens to round out your lenses (get USM if you can). These lenses only have one focal length, let lots of light in and cause you to think about the subject rather than the equipment. Remember to apply a factor of 1.6x to the focal length of a film (non EF-S) lens to get the film equivalent. So a 28mm would be a 44m, a 35mm would be a 56mm and a a 50mm would be a 80mm (great for portraits). See if you can get a 35mm or a 50mm lens.

You will find lots of good choices on www.bhphoto.com.

I'm loving all this great info (except that from Shumdit - I don't think that I'll ever be able to look at my tripod the same way again). :D Thanks guys!

I will indeed be taking many more pictures in trying to hone my understanding of the camera and the lenses.

I will look into the 28-135mm IS as well as the 35mm and 50mm Prime(?) lenses. I'll also make a note on the 28-300L as I progress. :)

When I do shoot, as a beginner in learning, does it make a difference if I shoot in RAW or JPEG format?

CDX_NSX said:
When I do shoot, as a beginner in learning, does it make a difference if I shoot in RAW or JPEG format?

Unless you understand Photoshop, you are better off shooting in the best JPEG setting on your camera. Save the RAW for after getting through some of the learning curve and then reading up on Photoshop.

RSO 34 said:
Unless you understand Photoshop, you are better off shooting in the best JPEG setting on your camera. Save the RAW for after getting through some of the learning curve and then reading up on Photoshop.
Thanks lots. :)

Learning is going to be fun little adventure. :D

folks,

when i check online for the price on this lense - Canon 28-135 IS - i find a range of $365 - $499... anybody here recommend a good, online shop to buy from at a good price?

thx,
hal

queenlives said:
folks,

when i check online for the price on this lense - Canon 28-135 IS - i find a range of $365 - $499... anybody here recommend a good, online shop to buy from at a good price?

thx,
hal

I only use B&H Photo. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ After spending close to $40,000 over the years, I can safely say I have never had a complaint with them.

Back