Latest scoop from Japan about 2008 NSX.....

Acura V10 engine / sports car.

Well, as almost every month / week, “Bestcar” has another look at a possible Acura sports coupe, and some talking about the upcoming Honda V10. Although announced as a “Top Secret” scoop, as always I wouldn’t really put to much emphasis on the accuracy of this information. They also claim though to have had an interview with somebody that has seen a real concept. Here is in short what they say though:

* It will arrive in ’08, together with the introduction of the Acura brand in Japan.

* Honda will give a clear design clue in Detroit in the Acura PR event (that apparently that man has seen).

* V10 powerplant will be a 4.5L, smaller than current BMW’s M5 and the upcoming Lexus V10. They also say that it would have a V angle of 95º, similar to F1 engines, and that for that reason the body will have to be wider. It should reach around 120PS/L with max output of 550Hp. Power is said to come to the wheels through a Semi-AT transmission.

* Platform is said to be a newly developed FR+SH-AWD setup, together with a new suspension design, and inheriting an all aluminium body construction from past-gen NSX.

* Style is said to be more in the line of British GT’s than Italian Ferraris. According to the source, he can’t really find similarities with other cars on the road, although he says that you could say it’s a Honda (Acura), but that you couldn’t think of it as a NSX successor.

* Price would be in line with past-gen NSX (priced around 10 – 12 Million yen), which would be considerably cheaper than Lexus targeted price of 15-20 MYen for their GT-car. Please do not translate those figures into dollars at today’s rates. Car prices in Japan have remained unchanged for really long time despite Yen recent depreciation. For sure overseas market’s prices would be more expensive than just translating the currencies.

If the cars looks remotely like that, current NSX values are going to go up.

Where is the Mid-engine sports car without all the weight of the V10 and SH-AWD.

We'll see what they have in store for us in Detroit.

Well that does look like a Aston Martin competitor.....they better not name it nsx. :cool:

Silver F16 said:
If the cars looks remotely like that, current NSX values are going to go up.

We'll see what they have in store for us in Detroit.

I agree. The back of that rendering looks like an Acura TL. Good for us current owners I guess.

Hmm I guess the 2005 facelift NSX was the last NSX........................ :frown:

I think Acura is planning to release one version of a GT competitor being that above and the HSC will also be another release with the mid-engine.....crossing fingers. :smile:

ediddynsx said:
I think Acura is planning to release one version of a GT competitor being that above and the HSC will also be another release with the mid-engine.....crossing fingers. :smile:

My fingers are crossed as well for the HSC to be a sub NSX type car in the Acura line-up. You guys may flame me , but I do like the front end. Kinda looks like a more mature S2000 and to me that's not a bad thing:biggrin:

I'm not holding my fingers crossed..
Honda lost a whole lot of money on the NSX by allowing their engineers to do what they wanted with the car..
If they were to redo it, they would have to make sure to create a way to make money.

If it looks like that, then I love it. I hope they don't call it "NSX" though.

Honda moves on to it's next project, and it isn't an evolution of the "old" car.

I would not be surprised, or disappointed. I have felt Honda was going this way for quite some time.

I still love the NSX, and wasn't looking for alternatives, so I guess that might be the reason I wouldn't be bummed if this is the car that makes production.

Bear in mind: This new car isn't an NSX, this is a different type of halo car entirely. The NSX is the car that it is, and the new car emerges with a different set of goals, and qualities.

While I doubt an HSC based car will make production, I wouldn't be unhappy if it did.

The world keeps turning...

Philip

liftcontrol said:
I will take a lighter and more nimble mid engined HSC, albeit less powerful, over that 550 hp front engine GT, any day.

Can't say I blame you there... Probably why we like the NSX in the first place eh? :wink:

Philip

Think were looking at a TL and/or GT concept, why would Honda change the NSX/HSC to front mounted engine? you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? :cool: there not going to wasted there time/money on a front mounted engine. Trust me on this one, it would put to much weight on the nose of the car, hence a unbalanced car :wink:

Last edited:
Black 94 #400 said:
Think were looking at a TL and/or GT concept, why would Honda change the NSX/HSC to front mounted engine? you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? :cool: there not going to wasted there money front mounted engine. Trust me on this one, it would put to much weight on the nose of the car, hence a unbalanced car :wink:

S2000 has engine in the front and it handles great. "If" this is for real we just have to let Honda work their magic and what and see how it turns out.

A scaled down version of this with a slightly more aggressive design would make for a nice S2000 evolution.

Although I have no doubt Honda would make this model a true enthusiasts car -if produced. I'm somewhat partial to the idea of it not being the mid-eng.setup.
I did like most of the design cues from the HSC.
... then again, sometimes change is good...there is SH AWD.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage is 3586 lbs
BMW M6 with V10 3909 lbs
Ferrari 599 GTB with V12 at 3482 lbs (European version with Manual Trans)

All of these cars use some form of Aluminum either in their structure or body panels. All of these do not have AWD. SH-AWD typically adds 200 lbs.

With that said, care to guess how heavy this Acura V10 sports car will be??

Not a bad looking car, but They either need to make it have the nsx look and feel or retire it and rebadge it with a new name...if its going to the new nsx, must be light, low, long and make it wide! 550bhp would be crazy though!

If this new Acura is a front mid engine design, like the S2000 or the F 599 and if it generates anywhere near 500 hp [or more] and if it is lighter than its competition by a few hundred pounds, and if Honda applies its magic [of which there is no lack] to make it handle well, then it is not too far fetched to think that Honda may do for this section of the market [Aston, F-599, Lambo ] what the rear mid engined NSX did for the segment that it conquered when it arrived in 1990-1991.

Seen in this light, it makes sense for Honda to make the NSX the last of its kind and now focus on a new direction. Only in this way can the wishes of T. Fukui [v10] be fulfilled, the magic and prestige of a v10 be incorporated into the halo Acura, a new market segment be explored, comparisons with the excellent "old NSX" be circumvented, comparisons with the near perfection of the evolved F430/Challenge Stradale be circumvented.

In this new segment, as good as the Lambo and the Aston are, the real king is unquestionably the 599 and that must be the target Honda has to shoot for. It is a very difficult target to acquire. Much more so than the 380 was for the 1991 NSX. Yet, there is no question that Honda has the engineering know how, the impeccable build quality, the history and pride of racing to back it up. A 550 hp V10 engine also can do wonders towards achieving that goal, especially in a light and very stiff chassis-something Honda knows how to do rather well.

The one thing Honda cannot fall short on is the way the new Acura is to look. It cannot look ordinary, like the car in the pics above. It has to look exotic, special, fearsome and yet handsome. Something with a definite WOW factor. After all, it has to look at least as good, if not better than the 599 and the designers have to keep in mind that the car has to have lasting good looks......like say the NewSportscareXperimental of old.

ediddynsx said:
Well that does look like a Aston Martin competitor.....they better not name it nsx. :cool:

Its a good looking car but as the article said its not NSX replacement, maybe they are waiting to unveil something else more in the lines of the NSX, i.e mid engine RWD or AWD but not FR, at least I hope. I have been hoping forever guess time will tell.

clr1024 said:
at least I hope. I have been hoping forever guess time will tell.

You and me both:wink:

Unfortunately, practically every press has indicated FR layout. FR may not be that bad, considering the F599 and SLR Vision, but it just don't have the cool MR look. BUT, it is another good design excercise for Honda. If they can make this car 500 lbs lighter than the M5, it will defintely be a rocket. And it will slot between the F cars and the M/AMG cars nicely.

If it is FR, I would run out and buy one, because I want to continue my NSX ownership, and I like to stay with MR layout. Maybe later on in life when I need a luxury GT cruiser...

Back