Latest from Edmunds.com

Just came across this, don't know if it's been posted yet: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Photos/styleId=100707399#

How can a car company with the foresight to produce such an automobile that was so ahead of it's time in 1991 and REMAINS ahead of it's time after 16 years, appear to be developing an automobile that seems to be something no more than what we're used to seeing all over the streets today? What happened to the vision and innovation? I'm SURE it will be an awesome vehicle, but if it IS front engine and lacks the expectations as a true NSX exotic successor, then I'll appreciate mine more rather than feel I have the "old" model.

I've seen the sketches before, most have.

I don't understand why they would go FrontEngine... unless it's just not an NSX replacement.

If it's FE, the NSX is truly dead. I'm sure it'll be a nice vehicle, but I'd be an Audi R8 customer (if I had the money :p)... and say goodbye Acura.

rickysals said:
I've seen the sketches before, most have.

I don't understand why they would go FrontEngine... unless it's just not an NSX replacement.

If it's FE, the NSX is truly dead. I'm sure it'll be a nice vehicle, but I'd be an Audi R8 customer (if I had the money :p)... and say goodbye Acura.
I have already said goodbuy to Honda. My current and third NSX is just a daily beater now. What made the NSX so special is the mid engine layout and its exotic look. It it were a front engine car, it would have died instantly with the $60k price tag in 1991. Who needs another front engine sports car when we have a galore of affordable $40k 400hp Mustang all the way to the $80k Viper? A front engined Acura flagship will just be another "CHOICE", not some breakthrough like the NSX was regardless how many horses it might have. After years and years of Honda disappointing its loyal fans, even with a tease like the HSC, I am just tired of Honda f@#king around and stalling. This new kid in the block thing is just old history when everybody else has gone on to NBA. And this kid, now a local average grown up Joe, is still bragging about him beating all the NBA players 15 years ago. Sure, I will still drive the NSX but it is not the dream car as it was. The world does turn in case Honda does not notice. If Honda wants to play with the big boys like Ferrari or Porsche, it needs to pay its dues or NOT play at all.
Steve

I feel the same way Steve:mad: If there is never another mid engine car from honda, well they figure they have only lost the 7-8000 US buyers of the previous nsx,I guess thier marketing gurus think there is a larger market for this front/mid engine layout,,,,,yikes:frown: :rolleyes:

I agree 100%. Already looking elsewhere. However, with Porsche considering a 928 style front engined car, and the Ferrari 599, along with the Aston Martins, it seems that front engined supercars are becoming quite fashionable. The 599 smoked the time at Nurburgring of the F-40 and has the engine of the Enzo. Nothing wrong with that type of performance. I just like the mid engine design and I prefer it for the next NSX. It's not an NSX if not mid-engined IMO.

Is the prime website homepage ever going to get an update? Just curious.

whiteNSXs said:
I have already said goodbuy to Honda. My current and third NSX is just a daily beater now. What made the NSX so special is the mid engine layout and its exotic look. It it were a front engine car, it would have died instantly with the $60k price tag in 1991. Who needs another front engine sports car when we have a galore of affordable $40k 400hp Mustang all the way to the $80k Viper?

Steve, well put. I personally can't understand all of the soul searching that Honda has been doing WRT a new NSX over the past many years - what engine, what layout, what price range, what level of sportiness, etc. The current configuration is unique - V6, MR layout. Front-rear V10; there's the Viper, M5 and M6. Mid-rear V10; Gallardo, upcoming Audi R8 and the Porsche CGT. Mid-rear V8; the F430, Ford GT. Front-rear V8; Z06, Gt500 Mustang, regular C6, SL 55, upcoming M3.

Why not make a better NSX - a mid-rear NA V6 with 425 hp and sell it for about the same cost as the 05, some $90k? Offer targa and coupe models and provide more selection on the options to allow buyers to go heavy on luxury (DVD audio, navigation, etc.) or heavy on track performance (composite brakes, F1 tranny, performance suspension, etc.).

As Dr. John points out, there are some 9,000 of us in the US and other 9,000 around the world who would probably buy a next gen NSX at some point, assuming that it is an NSX as we know it.

This isn't rocket science - it seems that Honda is over thinking the problem. As for a V10, whether it is front or rear mounted, I just don't see it. I just saw a Honda commercial on TV today saying that it is the most fuel efficient car company in the world. A V10 that gets 13 MPG and is rated by the EPA as a gas guzzler is just so counter-image for Honda.

neurobound said:
ROC CHGONSX said:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Photos/styleId=100707399#
QUOTE]

Lies - absolute lies. HSC is the only real taste of what is to come. Mark my words, the NSX will return - as a midengine exotic.

They have us right where they want us.

.jeremy
3 things.
1. the first super car out of japan was front engine, the toyota 2000 GT. see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT

2. there have been mid engine cars out of japan that did not become supercars. (MR2) and germany (914)

3. once performance hybrid powertains become completely developed along with 4WD computer assisted traction devices the location of the engine may become far less relevant to handling.

to put it another way, you guys are living in what will soon be the past. Honda has to look beyond to a future that they have far more access to than us.

cheers.:cool:

willabeest said:
neurobound said:
3 things.
1. the first super car out of japan was front engine, the toyota 2000 GT. see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT

2. there have been mid engine cars out of japan that did not become supercars. (MR2) and germany (914)

3. once performance hybrid powertains become completely developed along with 4WD computer assisted traction devices the location of the engine may become far less relevant to handling.

to put it another way, you guys are living in what will soon be the past. Honda has to look beyond to a future that they have far more access to than us.

cheers.:cool:

1.) Toyota... :X
2.) True enough, but we're not talking about MR2s or 914s, this is an NSX. It's like putting a watercooled engine in a VW bug. Oh wait...
3.) Perhaps - but again, not everything is about performance. Even if it was agreed upon that front-engines would result in better performance - I assure you that Ferrarri and lamborghini would still find an excuse to go with a midengine design for the aesthetics alone in a lot of their cars.

Back