• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lambo says arriverderci to manual transmissions...

Lamborghini Killing Manual Transmissions, But Who Cares?
By Nelson Ireson
Editor
July 8th, 2011

The demise of the manual transmission has been greatly exaggerated for years now, and continues to be, even as carmakers like Porsche tack on a seventh gear and Nissan sells its SynchroRev match system. At Lamborghini, however, the manual transmission appears to be done, with automated manuals, like the new ISR pictured below, the only offerings. But will anyone really care?

The news comes from an interview at Motor Trend with Maurizio Reggiani, head of R&D for Lamborghini, who characterizes the manual transmission as a disconnect in the otherwise electronic chain of command that "harmonizes absolutely everything that happens between the engine combustion chamber and the tire contact patch." Introducing the human error element means the system will never function as well as it could. That makes perfect sense, but what about the enjoyment drivers extract from handling the gears themselves?

That is unlikely to matter to any Lamborghini owners. As Motor Trend senior editor Jonny Lieberman noted on his Facebook page, "I asked a guy at Lambo Beverly Hills once how many manual Murcielagos they'd sold over ever. Answer: 1." That's right--over the whole model run of the Murcielago, the dealership sold just one with a manual transmission.

Given the speed and precision of the modern robotized manuals and dual-clutches out there, it's clear that the manual transmission is no longer the best solution for ultimate performance. All that stands in the way of the stick shift's complete elimination is the "purist" enthusiast who refuses to let go of that element of skill and control, or who simply enjoys the process. But that must be weighed against the overall experience of the car, taken through the lens of the manufacturer, and against real-world performance.

We understand the desire to drive a manual, but we can't say we're sad to see it go at Lamborghini--the bulls will still rage as hard as ever, perhaps even more so, as they continue to push the envelope of materials, performance, and technology as in the new Aventador.

transmission.jpg

Last edited:
Let me just start out by saying I'm a big fan of the manual gearboxes and find pretty much any car more entertaining with a stick. I know the DSG transmissions are better then a manual but I find them a bit boring. I'm just curious as to what you like about the auto gearbox as opposed to the manual?

Well, let's see... no-lift upshifts, lightning fast downshifts too, never having to take my hands off the steering wheel. All the shifts are so much faster than a manual it's fantastic.

[BAll that stands in the way of the stick shift's complete elimination is the "purist" enthusiast who refuses to let go of that element of skill and control, or who simply enjoys the process.

this is not a response to 'timpo', i am just using the quote.

although i do not dispute the benefits of semi-auto tranny, to me driving a performance vehicle is about involvement and skill, not about leveling the playing field so a fat banker can be as fast as an another one. unfortunate, really.

i think the point is that the car makers that were long considered the last bastion of 'sport' driving (ferrari, lambo etc) are now NOT offering a manual tranny so if you are looking for a real sport car you no longer can buy one period.

I think our definitions of real sport car differ. IMO there are differences between performance/exotic cars and sports cars and as a performance/exotic car you want to go the fastest regardless of how that is accomplished.

Having a sports car is more about the enjoyment/involvement of driving. If you want a sports car go buy a Miata, Boxster, Z4, M3, 370Z, or Corvette. They are all still available in manuals.

I didn't think this would happen for a long time...:cool:

Driving is about fun. Straight line performance is 1 aspect of fun.
If all I cared about was 0-60 I would sell my exotic and get an old fox body mustang and a mullet.

Last edited:
I didn't think this would happen for a long time...:cool:

yeah seems the dual clutch transmissions just all came out of the woodwork recently. quite surprising how many people jumped on the bandwagon. Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW... initially it was just VW and the humble GTI. (then Mitsubishi and Nissan)

the GTI isn't perfect, but it certainly works quite well... with proper tweaks it can certainly be amazing. from what i hear, mission accomplished by the big boys.

Surely you are aware that a double clutch gearbox has more advantages than just straight line performance.....

And no, for some people who buy these cars it isn't all about fun. There are cheaper ways to have fun.

I think our definitions of real sport car differ. IMO there are differences between performance/exotic cars and sports cars and as a performance/exotic car you want to go the fastest regardless of how that is accomplished.

Having a sports car is more about the enjoyment/involvement of driving. If you want a sports car go buy a Miata, Boxster, Z4, M3, 370Z, or Corvette. They are all still available in manuals.

opinions are opinions, we all have one.
people seem to buy sport cars for enjoyment regardless of price, this is not racing so such classifications are purely a matter of opinion just as you are free to say that an exotic should go fastest regardless of how enjoyable it is to a purist (which i think is missing a point, but thats my opinion, going 'fastest' on the street is an oxymoron anyway). if a manufacturer wants to prove something f1 is the proper venue. to me it is backwards thinking that a manufacturer would alienate potential buyers by not offering a such an obvious choice. brands like ferrari and lambo now seem to be more concerned that their 'precious stats' can be reproduced and verified by anyone, regardless of skill. i personally will never buy a sports or exotic car with anything but a manual as i like to be involved and do not have to prove anything.

edit:
i would not be opposed to having a tiered- driver's license sytem which would prevent idiots jumping from the back seat of a bentley to behind the wheel of a supercar with no knowledge or skill whatsoever- i will probably be flamed for reasoning that one should be able to prove he/she can actually drive. just like it is done with motorcycles in europe and japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not that bad to me, as long as the clutch engagement is good... i just find myself reaching for the shift knob, still. hard the break habits.

these transmissions are great when they are working perfectly, but then there is a hiccup and you just wish you had a manual. my experience with the latest and greatest Ferrari F1 gearbox was positive, but that is gone now for the dual clutch.

my 300ZX TT has a built automatic and it is great... but sometimes i wish it were a manual. my NSX is great as well with a manual... but sometimes i wish i didn't have to work a clutch. the Ferrari F1 is like the perfect marriage of both to me at least in function, but i still want a knob there to shift. (pull for upshift, push to downshift)

dual clutch boxes feel like they don't need you to intervene and they would rather be left in auto mode... the single clutch automated manuals shift like a noob on its own and tear up clutches, so you are still needed to select the gears.

If all I cared about was 0-60 I would sell my exotic and get an old fox body mustang and a mullet.

I loled so hard when I read this I nearly fell out of my chair.

Back