Lambo-NSX

I'm thinking he probably could have bought a reall Countach for the amount he's got invested in that surprisingly well-executed faux Diablo. Oh well, to each his own...

Before buying my NSX in 2000, I drove a friend's Diablo VT and another friend's 1991 NSX. Of course if I had an unlimited repair/maintenance budget and was into serious racing, the Diablo is an amazing machine. But for everyday use, taking a 200 - 400 mile trip, or some informal play time at the track, the NSX is far more nimble, reliable and user-friendly.

I also drove a Viper and a 550 Maranello. While the Maranello is a very different car, it was the one that for me was the most serious challenge to the NSX. Anyway, I went for the NSX & I've never regretted my decision.

An interesting thing about this converted NSX is it is the rare tangerine color. My friend's Diablo is supposedly the one used in press releases of that color back in the 2000-2001 time-frame. I took this photo when we stopped by to visit him last year in a trip to CA (Sonoma area).
HPIM6456.JPG

Last edited:
No, I meant the Countach, which was the rather garish predecessor of the Diablo. They are relatively cheap right now and likely may have some investment potential. They also embodied every overdone cliche of the 1980's.:biggrin:

Based on what I've heard that's just the start of the expense on Countachs too! Plus you can't see out the back of the car. Old Lambos just looked good and sounded good and were fast but from a real user standpoint I had always heard they were not easy to own and drive on the street.

Totally unlike our wonderful NSXs. So this weekend was finally a nice one here in Atlanta- up in the mid 60s - at last. I took the NSX out with the windows down and now I remember that lovely awesome sound - a totally different car! Wow, what a ride! Sorry for the hi jack -as you were gents.:biggrin:

Based on what I've heard that's just the start of the expense on Countachs too! Plus you can't see out the back of the car. Old Lambos just looked good and sounded good and were fast but from a real user standpoint I had always heard they were not easy to own and drive on the street.

Totally unlike our wonderful NSXs. So this weekend was finally a nice one here in Atlanta- up in the mid 60s - at last. I took the NSX out with the windows down and now I remember that lovely awesome sound - a totally different car! Wow, what a ride! Sorry for the hi jack -as you were gents.:biggrin:

For crying out loud, Tim. You really know how to hurt a guy! "Nexie" has been under wraps for 3 months now, and it'll be another month and a half before I can take her out! SNIFF! I gotta move to where it is warmer!

For crying out loud, Tim. You really know how to hurt a guy! "Nexie" has been under wraps for 3 months now, and it'll be another month and a half before I can take her out! SNIFF! I gotta move to where it is warmer!

Sorry bout that. I know in other parts it's much worse than here. You'll be ready to bust out before you know it. :wink:

I will say what i always say in these situations - Please get the vin and add to salvage list :)

First the NSX interior is FAR better aged than the really aged Diablo

Second: If using a NSX as base for a kit car, why not someone does a McLaren F1 road car KIT CAR?? that would be BAD ASS, specially since those cars are the most beautiful even made + there's almost NONE

Oscar

Look, the thing is hideous because they ruined one awesome car to end up with a fake of another. Plain and simple.

You DO have to respect the amount of time it would take to come up with a design like that, but you also have to question it because the end result just looks silly.

Along the same lines... I HAVE seen a kit Diablo being built that I DID think was pretty cool. Tubular frame, exact dimensions, all real lambo parts, body panels, interior pieces, wheels, brakes... everything. So from the outside, and to me, being a non-Lambo owner... I absolutely can not tell the difference if I saw them parked next to each other. However the kit is powered by a brand new, C7 crate motor. If I was going to roll around in a "fake" car, I think that would be the one I'd pick.

Along the same lines... I HAVE seen a kit Diablo being built that I DID think was pretty cool. Tubular frame, exact dimensions, all real lambo parts, body panels, interior pieces, wheels, brakes... everything. So from the outside, and to me, being a non-Lambo owner... I absolutely can not tell the difference if I saw them parked next to each other. However the kit is powered by a brand new, C7 crate motor. If I was going to roll around in a "fake" car, I think that would be the one I'd pick.

Probably better made and more reliable than the original diablo:wink:

I like it.......Engine cover and a few other items are b.s. He should have left off all emblems......

He did a pretty good job on this. I really thought this was a real Lambo just advertised wrong. I see stuff like that on ebay all the time. Even that he did a great job it should of never happened.

Sorry guys and gals, what a waste of an NSX, salvage or not. So I'm a bit of a purist knob but give me a break. My view is you get a nice look-a-like replica with a car that looks like it has been thrashed. Look at the filth on the engine. I'm betting it was done on the cheap...it certainly looks cheap/cheesy.

Okay now fire back at me....like Tim in another post, I've got my asbestos shield up!!

p.s. ask me how I feel.....

Couldn't have been done that cheap. Paint and body and interior had to cost a bunch. But the interior is the best part of course without that stupic Lambo script. That was the cheesiest part of the car other than that stupid "manifold" on the engine - geez - did Mattel make that? WHY! Weird. No need for asbestos - no flame comin at ya! I escaped big time on my post - no flame - strange.... Maybe everyone secretly agreed with me and you too??? Ya think?

Couldn't have been done that cheap. Paint and body and interior had to cost a bunch. But the interior is the best part of course without that stupic Lambo script. That was the cheesiest part of the car other than that stupid "manifold" on the engine - geez - did Mattel make that? WHY! Weird. No need for asbestos - no flame comin at ya! I escaped big time on my post - no flame - strange.... Maybe everyone secretly agreed with me and you too??? Ya think?

I've seen Buick GN/T-Type guys paint their cars for under $2,000 and looked great from 20ft. Now get up close and you would up-chuck/hug the porcelain. They thought they got such a deal on the paint job.

Lambo script and engine cover takes the cake...god know who would buy that car. As for the asbestos, I've taken it down...but you will be the 1st to know if I had to put it back up. Cheers...

way above average kit car builds. i think people say its horrible just because its a kit on an nsx and no other reason. if that were a saturn base would it really be horrible as saturn's look pretty horrible in the first place. the engine is way tacky though.

Dear God! speechless....:eek:

Well Dr.H, you said you were looking for a race car???? What about this one.....unreal. I know you were speachless cause you knew you couldn't have it -right? :eek:

Wow - that old phrase is never truer - "a fool and his money"...etc. Sometimes you just have to sit back and thank goodness you have a little sense. So Dr, wait on something better.....lol. (you know I'm kidding right). BTW, I mentioned your car to someone that was looking by the way. I'm surprised that it hasn't sold. :smile:

thats kind of awesome in a terrible way

Engine Shot for the win

Older NSX's are affordable for this kind of conversion, and a lot better start than a Fiero or some monkey made tube frame. There is a guy who makes porsches from NSX's too. Most of these conversions are crap, but this Lambo one looks pretty nice except the obvious motor cover and emblems. He should remove all emblems and markings, and keep em all guessing.

P.S. Nobody bitches at Chip Foose when he chops a car up,and this is not too different....except Chip doesnt change the identity. :wink:

Just be glad he didnt use an automatic........:redface:

Back