knocking sound from a/c damper door

When I turn my air conditioning off or in normal mode, I hear a loud and fast continuous click click click click click in the dash. It will stop if I press defrost button but usually will start again if I run regular air condition mode. Is this a damper problem or a bad a/c control in dash. The noise comes from below the glove box.

Andy, it sounds like the actuator lever located just to the left of the glovebox is having problems. You can see it be sticking your head up under there. Is anything caught on it?

It's also conceivable that something is caught in a mecanical part of the vents. Do you live in an area where there are a lot of pine needles or large stuff that falls from trees?

Don

I dont think it can be something stuck in the system. I did look at the rod and nothing is in its way. Car garaged, no pine needles either. It make noise in off position also and to stop it while driving I put in on defrost and shut off compressor.

Sounds like a stuck lever to me also. Have you tried AC on and set only the lower vents on?

There's a troubleshooting guide for the hvac controls in the service manual that's pretty handy.

Had the same problem. My mechanic found that a wire harness fell into where the doors where trying to open and close to route the air. Once the connector was placed back to it's spot and the doors could open/close freely and sound was gone.

Back