Kids' Day has come to an end :-(

Just learned that Trackmasters will no longer be doing Kids' Day. :frown:

Here is the email from Bill:

"Bob,

We are no longer going to do the Kid’s day at trackmasters. Its gotten to be to large of burden for us to undertake any longer.

Best regards, Bill Schultz"

Too depressed right now to write anything else...........

So disappointed to hear of this. I know that the kids loved, and looked forward to it, as did I. One of the best things you can do in a car (put a smile on a kid's face, and turn their frown upside down!)

Apparently there was some severe flooding and damage in the past couple weeks as it was on the news up here (Canada) and the owner (name escapes me) said they sustained hundreds of thousands in damages and they didn't know what they were going to do for this years camp. Wonder if that had anything to do with the decision? Too bad, had a blast last year taking the kids around the track and was looking forward to attending the camp this year.

This wasn't the Camp's decision - it was Trackmasters (although I don't quite understand why it was such a big undertaking after all these years).

Is anyone up for trying to do a day trip up to see the kids? I just got this email from Wendy Mervis, the camp Director:

"We would still love for you and the NSX Members to come and visit camp if possible. The kids love it and we look forward to it.
If you think this is possible please let me know we would LOVE for you to come to camp!!
Wendy"

This wasn't the Camp's decision - it was Trackmasters (although I don't quite understand why it was such a big undertaking after all these years).

Is anyone up for trying to do a day trip up to see the kids? I just got this email from Wendy Mervis, the camp Director:

"We would still love for you and the NSX Members to come and visit camp if possible. The kids love it and we look forward to it.
If you think this is possible please let me know we would LOVE for you to come to camp!!
Wendy"
I make room for this each year, and always look forward to it. I would love to go up and spend some time with the kids, let's see if we can get a date that most agree with. Let's put some smiles on the kids!!!

The kids come in on mondays and leave by saturday morning at the latest so it would need to be a weekday.

We can make it a one day thing by leaving early and being there for lunchtime and coming back in the evening to save on hotel costs or try to stay overnight locally.

I would be interested in going. Just post up a few days that you have in mind. I should be getting my car back from Larry within the next two weeks, and the week's of the 16 and 30th are my short weeks.

RSO, what about other car clubs that drive at Watkins, like Hudson Valley Porsche?
They are there in late August. Want me to reach out to them?

RSO, what about other car clubs that drive at Watkins, like Hudson Valley Porsche?
They are there in late August. Want me to reach out to them?

Unfortunately the camp programs end I believe in mid-august.

With the severe flooding and damage they sustained I don't know if their schedule has been altered but I will follow up to see what weeks they will be in operation.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now I am looking at Friday July 25th or Saturday July 26th to try to get the best turnout for our group while interfering the least with work schedules since fridays in the summer generally are easier for people to take off. This summer the Doing a World of Good program is actually a 6 day program that would involve the 26th. Waiting to hear back from Wendy as to whether a Saturday would be an option for us.

This is the program with which we have been involved the last few years and deals with children from around the world, as well as the US, who are actively being treated for cancer.

I would prefer to look at this as "Kids Day" has changed. So we can't go to the track, big deal. The kids love it when we do the car show and if that becomes the "NEW" Kids Day event, so be it. We are going, period. I am not giving up my efforts for our corporate sponsorship program, in fact I am meeting with the President of KonicaMinolta next week, after he reviews our article in NSXDriver:). There is no reason to consider this event over, as far as I am concerned.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming:)...

Regards,
LarryB

I'm in for sure...........maybe we could do a small drive around the area just to let them experience the car ride??

I wonder if we could get a new track? Lime Rock maybe. Saying that I am not sure where the camp was out of but it was probably near Watkins. In any case, we could bring the cars to them as others mentioned. I am in for that.

maybe the camp could get the local authorities to close off some roads to have our own little "targa" stage for them.

I have no idea if the camp schedule would work with this idea, but... What if we met the kids at the camp the day before or day after the Buffalo Stampede? It would be a convenient stopover for those coming from the NJ/NJ/CT metropolitan area to the Stampede.

Back