Keith Martin of "Sports Car Market" thoughts on NSX 2-19-08

I think the NSX is a blue-blooded performance car, but not a very highly collectible one.
It has no real racing history, it doesn't have a super-exotic powerplant, and its styling is not striking to most.

Wow. This guy is obviously one of those biased European chauvinists. Same type that claim the F348 is more of an exotic than the NSX just because it's a Ferrari. I'm not sure how a 4.3L V-8 is an especially "super-exotic poweplant" :rolleyes:

No racing heritage? Honda has several F1 championships not to mention the JGTC and Super GT series. Yes, it was a long time ago but I guess he forgot how badly Ferrari performed in the 80s when Honda was dominating them. And Ferrari has been in F1 a lot longer than Honda.

And the statement regarding the stying is ludicrous. Drive the NSX around town for a day and you will find that most people find the NSX quite striking and think it's a brand new car. It certainly looks better than the F348 but again, he'd claim the opposite.

This is a guy who obviously doesn't know a whole lot about the NSX but knows enough about cars to talk out of his ass about a particular car he's not strong on and most people who don't know better won't question it.

It is not unusual for multiple camera phones to come out while driving + finding people circling my car in parking lots when I'm walking back to my NSX.... this is the way it's been ever since I bought my 1st NSX in 1994. Reactions to the NSX speak for themselves.

The NSX being a collectable with retained or higher future value is more of a question of economics.
Buy classic collectables when the economy is poor, sell when there is money around.
The next 3 - 5 years will create low NSX prices. Once the economy turns around, demand will be high and the car will be 20+ years old. Really, perfect timing. The cars that will generate the most value are the un-touched, non-modified cars, Zanardis, 1991s and 2005s specifically.
cash is king. If you have cash, buy when others don't have it.
I see a great buying oportunitity in the next 3 -5 years for more than just NSXs.

Yes, I have driven the 997 many times, and I have driven both the 2007 C4S and the 2008 CS. As I had stated before, they are still nice and powerful car, however, it just doesn't feel like one. The ML350 denotation was referring to the way the steering feels, the suspension, cabin engine sound and the stick/pedal feelings. I can no longer feel in control of the car and I can't feel precisely road conditions. I had excluded the GT2 and the GT3 in this discussion as I had previously posted. If you had driven a CS or C4S, I am sure you should agree with me that when making a turn, you can turning with your little pinky and you might oversteer already. That is what I mean about what's "Lost" in the new 911. Again, IMHO, 911 is a great car. It just drive too much like a sedan nowadays..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ok I guess we can sorta agree to disagree - I do disagree but I see where you're coming from. I've driven the 997 and while it is certainly no GT3 RS or earlier 911 (I used to own a 73 911S, a very different and visceral experience), I personally think it is a very communicative car. If you poke around town with one finger on the wheel, sure... it drives like a Bimmer (how much communication can you get through one finger anyway? :tongue:) - but when I've had the 997S at 7/10's or greater on a track, it comes alive. Regardless, apologies for the tangent in this thread :biggrin:

Back