• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just test drove my first NSX...

Hello, long time viewer, first time poster.

Anyway, I have always loved the NSX, but always owned Porsches.

Today I drove past a Acura dealer and they had a used Black NSX, I stopped in and drove it.

1.) It is a 1991, manual transmission and 55,000 miles. Carfax turns up clean but with 3 owners. It had 1997 wheels with new Bridgestone Potenzas and a "RS+R" stainless muffler? is this info good or bad?

2.) Drove the car and was impressed with the acceleration and handling but was overwhelmed at how noisy the car was? I got the car up to 60-90 mph and then put the car in neutral and there was a loud singing from the driver's side rear, like a bad tire or wheel bearing...is this normal? Do wheel bearing go out pretty common on these cars? CV's?

Thanks for any and all info,

--Brian
1986 911 Carrera
possible future NSX owner

bek1973 said:

Today I drove past a Acura dealer and they had a used Black NSX, I stopped in and drove it.

1.) It is a 1991, manual transmission and 55,000 miles. Carfax turns up clean but with 3 owners. It had 1997 wheels with new Bridgestone Potenzas and a "RS+R" stainless muffler? is this info good or bad?

2.) Drove the car and was impressed with the acceleration and handling but was overwhelmed at how noisy the car was? I got the car up to 60-90 mph and then put the car in neutral and there was a loud singing from the driver's side rear, like a bad tire or wheel bearing...is this normal? Do wheel bearing go out pretty common on these cars? CV's?

--Brian
1986 911 Carrera
I have never had that prob. I have a '91 with 55k.
How much were they asking ?

-j-

If you want to buy that car, just have the dealer fix it. As long as the Engine and Tranny is good, other issues should be minor.

Talk to Jon Martin Service Manager before you purchase the car.....he knows most of all the nsx's out there....310-539-3636 Southbay Acura...Torrance,Ca

He also is a former Porsche Mechanic for Vaslek Polak

bek1973 said:

--Brian
1986 911 Carrera

Can't say I've noticed any "singing" except for the engine "Purring" at 8000rpm! :biggrin: There is a fair amount of wind noise though. Is it in the snap ring range?

They are asking $29,500.

Also, can I get the dealer to search the VIN number to see if its in Snap Ring Range?

Thanks guys,
--Brian

The singing noise could be the brake pad wear sensors. My right side rear wheel is squeeking like crazy and when I put it in reverse the right rear wheel makes a horrible whining noise. The sounds start only after driving atround 15 kilometers.

post the VIN. I'll check it against my NSX-2-avoid database and maybe someone will even carfax it for ya.

good luck !

Sorry dont have the VIN right now but I will get it tomorrow.

What about the RS-R muffler...has anyone heard of that? is it a good upgrade or a cheesy aftermarket?

Thanks,

--Brian

The RS-R is a pretty well known exhaust. The sound it makes is up to your personal liking. I prefer the Taitec JGTC Parallel Exit exhaust myself.

As far as the noise, it could just be the tires. I have a set of Yokohama A520's on the front of my NSX right now and they are so freaking loud it is ridiculous. Switching out the tires removes the noise from the car. Have this NSX checked out and then go from there.

As far as the bearings going, both my NSX's have high mileage and they have been fine with bearings at near 100,000 miles and above. Just my take on that.

Have the car lifted up and turn the wheels by hand.
By this way you may find out/determine whether the noise is coming from the breaks or wheel bearings. If it's caused by the bearings you should hear some sort of clicking/grinding sound, at least when the damage has been developed far enough to generate a noticable sound when driving the car.
Shortly after I bought my '92 both rear wheel bearings and wheel hubs were found shot and I had to replace them.. quite costly. Seems the previous owner didn't notice the initial noise and drove the car until the heat generated from the failing bearings damaged the wheel hubs too. I noticed the noise only when driving on the highway (autobahn) at high speeds, some kind of humming/droning noise that didn't sound 'right' but was just not loud enough to be heard at lower to medium speeds. I suspected it coming from the either the tires or rear wheel bearings. Doing as above made everything clear within a few minutes.

andy l.

Last edited:
Back