Just how 'icky' is it to drive an auto?

Abu Dhabi, Gorgeous green Capital of the UAE
Normally I would never even consider this, but would an auto nsx be a realistic daily commuter? Would it be powerful/nippy enough?

I already have a Porsche 996 GT3 which is manual and have had two Honda S2000's previously.

I've just got an auto everything Honda jazz/fit which works great if not a tad too well, know what i mean?

Appreciate any comments.

I think that unless you absolutely have to, i.e physical impairment etc, I would not get an auto NSX. You would be missing out on the true experience that is the NSX. The NSX has a very nice manual transmission too.

How bad is traffic where you live? Is that why you are considering the auto? Auto's have less hp than the manuals too. To me I would rather suck up the days of bad traffic with a manual so that I could love it on the days where I could really just go out and drive.

Sure, the manual has better performance, but I think this is entirely a matter of personal preference. Most people (91 percent of NSX owners) prefer a manual, but some others prefer automatics, for a variety of reasons. Get an NSX with whichever transmission you prefer.

"Powerful/nippy enough"? Again, that is a personal question; some people would claim that even the manual transmission NSX isn't powerful enough, while others would say that the automatic is more than powerful enough. If your automatic Fit (Jazz) is powerful enough for you, I don't think you would be disappointed in driving an automatic NSX.

Handling and sound should be the same (except that it won't make the same engine sounds between 7500 RPM and 8000 RPM that the manual does, due to its lower redline).

Yup, no such thing as a Automatic S2000 :smile:

Mine is an auto and I think it would make an ideal car for what your looking for. I think sticks are fun but when you get into traffic you'll be happier with the auto.

Of course this is my opinion.

if you drive stick and you're considering an auto, you obviously know the differences. if you want it, get it.... it shouldn't be a hard decision for you

ChopsJazz said:
It's not "icky" at all. Lots of girls drive autos. :wink:

Oh... You mean all the girls in F1 racing?

A little something on the future of transmissions:

Ferrari's Chief Engineer, Amedeo Felisa, told Jim Kenzie (Sympatico/MSN Autos) that it is now impossible for even an expert to drive a manually-shifted F430 as quickly as he could with a F1-equipped car. Not only can one not upshift as fast as the automatic box—in as little as 150 milliseconds—but very few can downshift as quickly or as smoothly.

And the degree of electronic integration of the transmission into the other electronically-managed systems of the car means that if you insist on the manual gearbox, you'll be heading down a road that leads to Morgan—you'll deliberately be buying a car that is old-fashioned and slow, not what you'd expect from a Ferrari.

Increasingly, the initially circumspect customers are coming around. Ferrari expects 80 percent of F430 buyers to go the F1 route.​

My cars are all MTs; It's what I like to drive. But the writing has been on the wall for years. Virtually every car will at least have computer assisted transmissions someday.

Now is always a good time to stop echoing stereotypes. :smile:

Skylark

nsxtasy said:
Handling and sound should be the same (except that it won't make the same engine sounds between 7500 RPM and 8000 RPM that the manual does, due to its lower redline).

I believe the intake is shaped differently on automatic NSXs. That might cause a slight difference in sound as well.

NsXMas said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but S2000 only come with manual transmissions, right?

correct, s2k only available in manual tranny. I go nuts when i get stuck in traffic but manual is just the way to go enough said! You miss out on so much if you get an auto.

This might simplify things a little too much, but, here goes:

- Manual - Trackworthy, gorgeous exotic (formerly) supercar with not a lot of creature comforts compared to today's offerings

- Auto - Gorgeous exotic (formerly supercar) with not a lot of creature comforts compared to today's offerings

This seems kinda silly, but is illustrative. An auto, IMO, is a bit like the compromise where nobody benefits in the end. You get a "highly peppy" 252 hp engine, very comfortable seats, maybe a Targa top if newer, and of course a sexy design and great handling. But, you don't get anywhere near what is offered in current sport sedans in terms of luxuries, hp, (even handling in some cases) for similar prices. If the car is a commute-in-traffic car primarily, I would prefer, for the same dough, navigation/radio/etc. The only exception would be if you are thinking of a daily driver auto '91-'93 for less than $25-30k. That would be a fun exception to newer commuter vehicles. Spending much more than that for a traffic-ridden commuter would be a waste given what else is out there for $35k+

Just my $.02.

Mine is an auto and I have no complain at all. If I want to go fast I just put my foot down all the way. May not be as fast as the manual but still a lot faster than other car on my road. Funny thing though I still put my hand on the auto stick while driving. :biggrin:

It's all up to your preference!!! Most of the owners here will prefer stick anyday. At the end of the day it doesnt matter if you drive stick or auto, as long as you've the car the you want.

While 90% of the NSXs in HK are Autos including my Father's '91 and brother's '95, both my M3 & NSX are Sticks.

Traffic jams are surely a pain but not enough of a reason for me to consider Auto.

Funny thing is that I never knew the NSX got Tiptronic Transmission (appeared on the '95 but not the '91, don't know about other years) and its response time is quite alright for the technology then.

Choose which ever you want but for me, Manual is just so much better for the NSXperience.

I too have an auto.
Do get ribbed about it from time to time.
But I searched out for an auto.
Daily driver, city traffic, etc.
No compromise, tis a very nice car!

And so far, I can't really see that many times when I was only putting 252hp to the wheels and thought, man! wish I had that 20 extra hp to get to the next light.

Add the word "track" to any of the above and the the dynamics change.
:-)

Skylark said:
Oh... You mean all the girls in F1 racing?

A little something on the future of transmissions:

Ferrari's Chief Engineer, Amedeo Felisa, told Jim Kenzie (Sympatico/MSN Autos) that it is now impossible for even an expert to drive a manually-shifted F430 as quickly as he could with a F1-equipped car. Not only can one not upshift as fast as the automatic box—in as little as 150 milliseconds—but very few can downshift as quickly or as smoothly.

And the degree of electronic integration of the transmission into the other electronically-managed systems of the car means that if you insist on the manual gearbox, you'll be heading down a road that leads to Morgan—you'll deliberately be buying a car that is old-fashioned and slow, not what you'd expect from a Ferrari.

Increasingly, the initially circumspect customers are coming around. Ferrari expects 80 percent of F430 buyers to go the F1 route.​

My cars are all MTs; It's what I like to drive. But the writing has been on the wall for years. Virtually every car will at least have computer assisted transmissions someday.

Now is always a good time to stop echoing stereotypes. :smile:

Skylark

no offense, but an F1 gearbox is NOT the same thing as an automatic transmission. do a little more research. and it sure as hell isn't the same thing as a HONDA automatic transmission.

as far as the tech available in an nsx, you're getting a better experience in the manual. the only reason i could see to get an auto is traffic or disability purposes. the auto even has less hp.

Jin1976 said:
Mine is an auto and I have no complain at all. If I want to go fast I just put my foot down all the way. May not be as fast as the manual but still a lot faster than other car on my road. Funny thing though I still put my hand on the auto stick while driving. :biggrin:

your car is still the shit :cool:

Synthesis said:
your car is still the shit :cool:

"WAS" would be more specific. I liked it better with the Sorcery widebody kit and the white Volk TE-37's.

Re: Auto's are fine for a few

Get the auto for commuting if you have any heavy traffic to deal with. If your age or commute is anything like mine, (a big if) you'll rarely need the 252 HP you've got. We had a 95 or 96 auto in our club that was damn quick in auto-cross and pretty respectable at the track too. But then that says a lot about the driver.

I commute in heavy traffic and an auto-Prelude was the answer for that. After buying a race car, I discovered the bonus of an auto is praciticing left foot braking every day.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the auto NSX for commuting. Your need for speed is or can be met easily in other ways.

The Kid said:
"WAS" would be more specific. I liked it better with the Sorcery widebody kit and the white Volk TE-37's.

yea, i saw pics of it before..... thing was sick. why'd you end up changing it back jin?

either way, still very clean.... and the details are very nicely done. seeing his car makes me wanna paint mine blue.

Jin1976 said:
If I want to go fast I just put my foot down all the way.

This was good, I'll save that quote LOL. I prefer the manuals, but I would rather drive an auto NSX than many other cars outhere.

Cheers

AR

Back