Just had the front bumper and hood painted; looking for advice on a clear bra

No problem. To get that result you have to detail it really good before you put it on... I was detailing it right before I drove over to the shop and then I wiped it down and put a fresh coat of wax on minutes before having it installed. The ventureshield clear bra is very thin and absolutely clear/transparent so it is virtually invisible. Make sure the bubbles all come out and pay special attention to the edges and areas where it curves, the rest of the install was pretty easy (I watched/chatted as it was done). It has saved my bumper from a lot of rock chips in the past year or two and it still looks good so far.

I did find a local shop that specializes in clear bra installations and will take it to them when it stops raining.

The shop owner told me that they would need to cut the product while it is on the car and there was a small change they could cut the paint.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

I did find a local shop that specializes in clear bra installations and will take it to them when it stops raining.

The shop owner told me that they would need to cut the product while it is on the car and there was a small change they could cut the paint.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

That is kind of a double edged sword. I got the standard kit, which is really just a cad drawing template the laser plotter uses to cut a standard roll of vinyl. They can even modify it, because he deleted the cutout for my hood emblem (did not have it on at the time). It was perfectly cut but it was slightly smaller and left a little area of the bumper exposed, which I was worried might chip due to random occurence of road debri. I would almost rather have it "hand-fitted" so those areas don't occur but I bet the tradeoff would be jagged edges due to imperfect (knife not laser) cuts, and those areas might trap dirt and wax and ruin the installation over time. It is also easier to install an already cut piece because you just have to place it, so the installer's patience is not tested. I think ultimately it will come down to the installer and his skills/patience so I would ask to see a vehicle he has done "by hand" if you are going to go that route.

I visited the shop that I will use for the clear bra installation, they have specialized in clear bra installations for the past ten years. I got a good vibe from the moment I drove up.

There is a template that is laser cut and applied to the front bumper in two pieces. The top part with have a 2" vertical seam below the outside edge of the blinker. He showed me a seam on his car and the ends butted up cleanly.

I'll post a shot of the finished result.

According to 3M, this company is a certified training facility in Oregan:

One Source - Certified Training Facility
Salem, OR
503-931-8860

A friend of mine did my 3M bra. He downloaded the CAD drawing and cut it. The drawing is close, not perfect, but it's a much cheaper route to go than custom.

You can get 95% of the hood if the shop has the 48" wide film. Most places do not have it (usually only have the 36"), but it exists, and a wrap would leave the very top corners of the hood (closest to the windshield/fender) unwrapped. My plan was to have this done, as my kit only came with the 1/4 hood covering (goes up to the back of the headlights), but he moved to Germany before we got a chance to do it.

Here's the link to the 48" film
http://www3.3m.com/catalog/ca/fr002/auto_marine_aero/-/node_JF22GC6H46gs/root_VJ3G0N3T7Ngv/vroot_G75KJBMR4Kge/bgel_57JMDV2H3Vbl/gvel_Q7HBLHHV5Ngl/theme_ca_fr_automarineaero_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Last edited:
I'm looking for a good installer near Vista or San Diego.
Any recommendations?

I found a company called Star Shield Armor in Ontario, CA.
They have different packages ranging from $250 to $1,700.

I would like comments on the benefits of doing the full fenders and hood to eliminate the seam lines on a red car.
How visible would the seams be with partial coverage on the hood and fenders?

Last edited:
the nsx bumper is two pieces, so the clear bra is two pieces. since the seam on the clearbra is where the two halfs (top and bottom) of the bumper comes together you don't see it.

+1 same on my 00' red, front bumper is two pieces, top and bottom. have 3m with half hood coverage, would prefer full hood coverage since AZ roads are prone to stones... it does look semi-dull next to the shine of glossy oem paint near top of hood. Definitely give your paint time to cure... patience

I found this site when I first bought my 91. I hadn't visited the site since early fall of 2010, but I thought that they had kits for all years of NSX's, but I see that they only have them for 2003-2005. They have both 3M and Venture products. In my earlier thread I mentioned that I had this installed on my VW Jetta, but I didn't mention that it the 3M product and on a white car you can see that it does yellow:smile: But it definitely works.

http://www.nextlevelride.com/store/product.php?productid=69569&cat=17393&page=1

91 Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Had the Ventureshield Clearbra installed, very pleased with the result.

P5040639.jpg

Thanks for all the help; I appreciate being part of this community,

Matt

I spoke with Enrique, the President of Modern Image in San Diego yesterday. They do high end clear bra installations. He recommends using Ventrue Shield on the NSX because it wraps the contours of the NSX bumper better than 3M. He said they will custom cut the wrap so that NO seam or edges are visible. He said it takes much more labor but the results are better. Estimated cost for the full hood, headlights, front bumper, full front fenders and mirrors...$1,800.

Back