Jumped in with both feet! Just got a '91

• Thread starter Thread starter GraemeD
  • Start date Start date
G

GraemeD

Just thought I would introduce myself here before I start asking questions (should have done that earlier)

i bought a '91 with some suspension mods and minor engine mods. The car has a less than stellar service history paper trail, but it has less than 80k. I enjoy the work, so I assume none of it was done and will bring it back up to scratch slowly. It took my many years to get my E30 M3 into top shape, so it is not too big of a challenge.

I have always liked the NSX since it was released, and decided I need to try one.
I look forward to being part of this group.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Some '91's have a higher redline factory to impress the automotive journalists, but only the black ones.

More everything please :eek:.
Details, photos, story, come on!

I'd be willing to be instead of "trying" the NSX, you'll fall in love with it.
Congrats.

thanks for the warm welcome, I have not yet had a chance to get some photos of the NSX, and I just realized I don't have any current shots of the M3, but here's an old one. One of the NSX and one of the track toy.

M3 M5 wheels 1.jpg
Mostly stock

IMG_2593[1].jpg
I currently have the CCM out to Brian for repair. I got caught in storm while driving and could not get the windshield defogged. had to pull over! (after the rain stopped, the CCM started working again)

IMG_2432[1].jpg
"94 Miata w/ VVT engine (NASA TTD)

Just thought I would introduce myself here before I start asking questions (should have done that earlier)

i bought a '91 with some suspension mods and minor engine mods. The car has a less than stellar service history paper trail, but it has less than 80k. I enjoy the work, so I assume none of it was done and will bring it back up to scratch slowly. It took my many years to get my E30 M3 into top shape, so it is not too big of a challenge.

I have always liked the NSX since it was released, and decided I need to try one.
I look forward to being part of this group.

Congrats and welcome!

Congrats and welcome to the club! You didn't say if you've been hanging around the site for a while or not .. but as a new owner you'll want to check out the NSX Wiki which can be accessed off the red action bar at the top of most pages. It's a great resource but some of the content could use updating so made sure you also get familiar with the site search engine.

congrats on purchase and welcome aboard…always loved the e30…could not find an unmolested low mileage one in my color (white)…instead got a e93 conv…since then even put less than 100 miles on nsx each year…few different reasons…one the nsx never in rain and washed every time used, lucky person to have the ability to walk to my office, don't like parking either car for patients to see (don't like to be that guy), like bringing 2001 pathfinder instead, and i have two kids and can't fit all four in the nsx…love both cars and glad you logged in…great guys…enjoy all cars

Thanks again for the welcome,
I have always liked the NSX since it's release, just never thought about owning one until now.

just a little update since I got it.
Not knowing the status of the timing belt, I wanted to get that done sooner than later.

I got the car up on jack stands to start the servicing. When I was driving it, the check engine light illuminated, turns out it was the rear O2 sensor. The wiring had chaffed on the header and melted.
Timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, change engine & gearbox oil.
something I should have done before I bought the car is a leak down test, but luckily, it is perfect with all cylinders 1% or 2% cold. A PO had installed a bunch of "clamp on" braided hose, so that's all gone and being replaced with OEM stuff.
I Found the driveshaft boots torn, so out comes the rear suspension for new boots. Might as well take the coilovers out because the upper mounts look a little jacked up. Turns out the top mounts are elongated from wear. But after talking with the guys for Ground Control, they will refurbish them for a reasonable fixed cost. So, out came the fronts! Spent lots of time cleaning the suspension, now it looks like it should.

I took the seats out to clean the carpets and condition the seat leather.
The climate control unit was malfunctioning, so I sent it to Brian. It is repaired now and waiting to go back in.
The car had a carbon fiber stick on trim kit. It looked dated, so off it came. The trim underneath had some bubbling of the plating. So I decided to strip the plating by soaking them in bleach. It works, but takes a lot of time & bleach! Now I need t figure out if I should paint it or do a carbon fiber look hydro-graphics treatment.
The passenger window regulator is make popping noise, so that will need to come out and have new sliders installed.

I am am past the tipping point and it is going back together. Can't wait to get it back on the road. So far NSXprime has been nightly reading, thanks for having such a great site.

Last edited:
yikes you can tunr a good wrench nice work.

get your hands dirty and learn how well build the car is

Since you seem proficient, (if you end up with some extra time) write up some DIY's to help out other wrenchers. theyre all on under the DIY section. good luck!

Small update:
I found the extended oil pan has a very small crack near the drain plug. quick epoxy job sealed it up until it comes off at a later date.
There are still have issues with the coil-overs, the tender spring couplers will not allow full compression of the tender spring. So I am going to run them without the tenders to evaluate the spring rate and ride. then make changes as needed.
Stripping the plating off the interior plastic parts takes WAY longer than I thought. so it will be a while before that gets back together.

More later,

Welcome Graeme! I just bought my '91 at the end of August and am in CO as well. Good friend of mine also has a '91.

Small update;
Here is the center console and door plastic panels after the plating is stripped off. This was way too time consuming, but I don't see how it can be done any other way. I used a scotchbrite disc to remove some of the plating. What I found out was, even though I did not go thru the plating, the heat left divots in the plastic. I had to use a filler/primer to correct these. But to make the chemical process go quicker, you sand off the top clear coat from the plating.
Time to paint them today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
GraemeD- may I ask your thought process for buying a 23yr old car in this day and age ? Price mainly ? I'm contemplating a NA1 and am just having a hard time convincing myself due to the age.

I have always thought the NSX was a cool car since it's release. I also have a '88 M3 that I lucked into. I did a bunch of work tinkering to it and now it is worth 5X what I payed for it. I like to tinker and work on things. Combine those, and getting a 23 year old car that has the performance of modern cars. Maybe I will be lucky and the value will go up and when (if) I sell it I will have enjoyed an iconic car.

Back