Jgtc Nsx

The second JGTC car as T car arrived last weekend.

Actually the NSX will get a complete new suspension,
(the team changes everything) a new Toda engine and a new rebuilt gearbox.
2 Motec ECU's optimized for low quality gasoline also arrived.
During the next weekends 24h event, the NSX will have his last test at thursday 8.30 -11.30 am (Castrol Haugg Cup)

Weird: The JGTC NSX starts in the same class as the modified NSX-R (and the big Bimmers, Opels and P-cars). I'm pretty sure these two Hondas have no chance for the class victory against the HP monsters - although I bet that the less powered Honda will have a better result than the JGTC, they just have a year more experience (and modifying) with the NSX-R.

Race starts this saturday afternoon (CET).

NSX-Racer,
Weird indeed.
Do you have any info on how the class a car will compete in is determined. Is it just the engine-size, or a combination of several factors like car-weight, HP-numbers, engine-size etc.

There are 20 classes - some with specials rules like the "24h specials" where 2/3 of the competitors and the NSXs start, some are just the usual FIA and DMSB classes like group N with a big rulebook. The 24h specials have 2 divisions where the organizers try to compensate different car potentials with tire width, empty weight, gas tank size and air restrictors.

To write down all the rules would take days and weeks - you may look at http://www.24h-rennen.de for details.

News from the ring!

Qualification training for the race: "sport auto" JGTC NSX is 14th with a best lap time of 8:54,549 (1st is a heavily modified Porsche 996 turbo with 8:19,288), "sport auto" NSX-R is 46th with 9:39,068, which is in the region of some BMW M3 GTR, Porsche GT 3 R and GT 3 RS - not bad!

Track is Nurburgring Nordschleife plus GP short course, you may watch the live coverage here

Last edited:
Both NSXs started the race with some rain drops and wrong tires for the JGTC NSX - now it has already occured what I guessed before: The "little" NSX-R is on 23th, the JGTC NSX only on 47th! (from about 210 cars)

I've been to the start... it was a mess. It changed every 20 minutes from dry to wet conditions, and with wet we really mean wet (almost flooded) . Let's hope that the night will work out good. Keep me informed Detlef!
I must say there was a huge differencr between the first cars and "the others". I'll hope that the NSX'es are better "endurance" cars.

Sorry Baart, it seems they are not: The JGTC NSX was out after about 7 hours or 38 laps, the NSX-R is out after nearly 20 hours or 104 laps (was between excellent 12th and 14th place). Best Honda is a S 2000 on 14th now.

Race report

24h race report

weather conditions: rain and cold in the middle of june.

1th practice: (Friday 10-12 am)
JGTC NSX do 8 laps and finished at 1th position in class A6 and 14th overall position with 8.54 min.
No problems with the car.
The fans called that car: White Saur
NSX-R do 8 laps and finished at 9 th position and 46th overall position with 9.39 min
Also no problems.

2th practice: (night practice)
JGTC NSX stopped at the end of the pits before doing his first lap.
BBS delivered some incorrect wheels for the rear axle. The center race wheels are fixed as standard with 6 pins at the inside.
These wheels only have had 3 pins and the wheels sheard off the hubs. No transmission. Bummer.
After that repair (2.5 hours) the car do another 5 laps without problems. No time upgrade.
I meet an engineer from Hewland (gearbox) after that practice and he told me, that Hewland have no records of durability for more than 6 hours of racing. That’s the maximum time, that gearbox ever did.
After night practice the GS team worked until 3.50 am at both cars, before we all go to bed for 2 hours to have enough sleep for the 24h race.

NSX-R do only 1 lap. No problems, but also no time upgrade.
Lot of crashes at the track with yellow flags dont allowed a time upgrade.

Race: (Saturday)
That day started with a tragedy. Mr Toda from Toda racing helped to push the cars from the tent into the pits. During that, another car with a lady at the steering wheel tried to drive backwards and overruned Mr. Todas legs.
The helicopter transported Mr Toda to the hospital. Result: 2 broken legs.

The JGTC NSX started with slick tires, a wrong decision, because during the formation lap it started to rain.
The car came in after 1 lap and changed to rain tires. After 2 more laps, the track began to get try again and needed another change for slicks. After 1 more lap it starts to rain again.......and so on....
The car finished the race after 7h 20 min with a broken gearbox differential. (A new record for Hewland)
The team will need 2 days for that repair, a revision will cost 45.000 gbp/ 81.000 USD at Hewland.
Actual position before the give up was 10th place overall.
One of the drivers (Robert Lechner) told me that it was awesome to drive that car. In the rain, he could overtook 2 DTM cars during braking and he could stay in front of them. (The NSX dont have ABS !)
After the race I could speak with the german Honda R&D manager.
It seems that we will see 2 JGTC NSX’s into next year.(and a better gearbox)

NSX-R raced without problems during 19 hours and was placed at 14 th overall position before the accident.
The NSX-R tried to overtook a slower car (Audi A3) at Wippermann/Eschbach, both cars touched and the NSX-R crashed into the crash barriers.
Back into the pits the team tried to repair. But all suspension parts were crooked, the left door completly damaged and the front side was pushed in and from the front fender there was only some small fragments.
The team decided not to repair the car.
I dont believe that this car will start again next year.

My advice
Next year, Honda dont should take box No 13.
All cars, 2 x Porsche, 1x BMW, 4 Hondas = 2x NSX, 1x S2000 and 1x Civic dont finished that race.
The japanese guys departing germany with their lesson that the Nürburgring isnt Suzuka.
More news soon.

Detlef,

Thank you for telling us what happened.
Am very sorry to hear about the bad luck with the NSX because some of this I would call just bad luck.
Hope they will do a lot better next year.

Hm, the only bad luck the GT500 car had was at the beginning of the race when they chose the wrong tyres a couple of times in a row - because the weather kept changing. But this happened to a number of other teams as well. Other than that, it was a good solid performance from a car many thought wouldn't last very long. I must say I was impressed with the way they hald their own in 10th against some strong opponents, with a car that, as the drivers said, wasn't handling very well. It is early days for this project. The potential is definitely there, and they are already tentatively thinking about 2005. IF they decide to come back next year, and IF they take the time to sort the car out, then it will be a definite challenger for overall victory.

I have heard a couple of nicknames for the car - "White Dinosaur", White Samurai", and "White Giant" by those who still remember the Porsche 917 debuting on the 'Ring in 1969 (it was all-white then). The latter doesn't really fit as the NSX is really not a big car at all. :)

The NSX-R accident was definitely bad luck. They were going very well. Our photographer was lucky, too; he dove had to jump for cover when the NSX-R hit the barrier just where he was standing. No images of this incident, undoftunately, he was too busy saving his neck. :cool:

nsx.jpg

nsx-2.jpg

and one from the pits, apologies for the bad quality (this is one of mine :rolleyes: ):
nsxpit.jpg

some more images (mixed):
http://www.motorline.cc/article.php?article=122769

Last edited:
The story is over.

Honda cancelt next years 24h project for both cars.
The budget isnt that high to develop the gearbox and some other parts for a next years success.

It would cost ~1.000.000 Euros to built new parts, sort them out with tests and doing some other races for practice.
Bummer.

Both JGTC cars (Race and T-car) will go back to japan.
A short story at last.

Back