Jeff Ling's (racerxjling) '92 Widebody S/C NSX Potentially For Sale

Jeff's wife is considering selling his car and asked me to post here and ask members to help ascertain the fair market value and a realistic asking price.

Mileage 41,166
VIN# JH4NA1150NT000149

The D Sport article has all of the current specs listed.

http://www.fototime.com/B1A5D2FA29B9FBC/orig.jpg
standard.jpg

Album of all pages: http://www.fototime.com/inv/D4E711E0E77A2E7
(You should be able to click through and access the full sized image of any of the pages.)

SCC:

D Sport:

Please post or PM what you think the car is worth, and especially if you have a serious interest in the car.

Mods: I apologize if I am violating any forum guidelines. Please PM me and I will correct any issues.

Last edited:
Synth, you gotta watch your words. Jeff is no longer with us. His wife is letting go of the car. She has no interest parting it out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This was an excellent build and knowing the story behind it, I really hope someone special gets this car if in fact it sells.

Definitely a high quality, "spare no expense" build. In the interest of helping out Jeff's family here's my $0.02 on what I would do.

1. Itemize each part + labor + base value of car to derive some kind of replacement value. For simplicity sake, let's say it all adds up to $100k (this is just an example for I have no idea what it all adds up to).

2. Take 60% of $100k and use that value as a starting bid price. $60k. I think any estimate between 50-75% makes sense.

3. Market the hell out of this thing. The more people hear about it the better the sale price. I'm sure Prime members will be willing to help, including myself.

I think it's likely that such a unique vehicle will sell overseas but buyers have to hear about it. I would also like to think that Lud might make special accommodations to host this in the classified w/o a price in the interim. That way it can begin to proliferate the web.

I agree with this. OP- Send me a PM when the car is ready to be sold. I'll place a premium ad on cars.com/autotrader on behalf of the family at my expense.

Definitely a high quality, "spare no expense" build. In the interest of helping out Jeff's family here's my $0.02 on what I would do.

1. Itemize each part + labor + base value of car to derive some kind of replacement value. For simplicity sake, let's say it all adds up to $100k (this is just an example for I have no idea what it all adds up to).

2. Take 60% of $100k and use that value as a starting bid price. $60k. I think any estimate between 50-75% makes sense.

3. Market the hell out of this thing. The more people hear about it the better the sale price. I'm sure Prime members will be willing to help, including myself.

I think it's likely that such a unique vehicle will sell overseas but buyers have to hear about it. I would also like to think that Lud might make special accommodations to host this in the classified w/o a price in the interim. That way it can begin to proliferate the web.

emotion aside..the general rule of thumb is to price the mods at 50% of cost and add to the car.

emotion aside..the general rule of thumb is to price the mods at 50% of cost and add to the car.

I think thats reasonable. Or at worst case, call the mods a loss and price it at whatever the value would be of a similar non-modded car.

It depends on her situation and if she *needs* to sell. If so, Id say do the latter so it is quick and she can put what must be an emotionally difficult situation behind her as quickly as possible.

If, on the other hand there is no pressing financial need, I'd say it makes sense to just wait until the right buyer comes along.

Personally, Id never part my car out... Too annoying. If I decided I wanted to sell it, Id just wait. If for some reason I needed money, Id just dump it on a wholesaler or dealer (who often give surprisingly close to what low baller buyers want to give you anyhow)

Good example was my 911. After spending months hearing what the car was "worth" from buyers, I just ended trading it in on my truck for within a few grand of what most "serious buyers" wanted to give (mods and all). When you factor in the tax break on the new purchase and how *effortless* it is to trade a car in? Id have been happy even if the difference was double what it came out to.

Last edited:
Its a cool car...

A 92 with lower mileage and alot of mods...just taking a guess but mid-50's to $60k.

SC'er
Conversion
Dymag wheels
already you are looking at way over $15k alone...

It will sell for sure. Must be a tough one for her...:frown:

Last edited:
Aren't those wheels valued at $10,000?

Its priceless. From what I have read this man had a real passion for this car. He will be forever immortalized if this car stays the same. I feel it should never be parted out.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Has anyone sold a similarly modded car recently? If this were a Supra, I would know exactly what to ask for the car, etc. NSX's are obviously a very different niche. Blue Book, replacement cost and what it "should be worth" are usually quite different than market price.

I also know that for the perfect buyer, you might be able to get $X but for the masses you might comfortably ask for and get $Y.

Thank you Jet Pilot for a more concrete range, anyone else feel that is accurate?

Last edited:
It seems to me that when you build a vehicle that is SO CUSTOM
that it REALLY narrows down those who may be a buyer for rear of deailing with the issues that may ensue. It would challenging to find the right person to assist in maintaing the auto particularly in less populated areas.

I would think that an auction house may be a good option with a reserve price
that makes sense. Alternativley, Ebay cars, perhaps the combination of these
two approaches would assist in determining the value and interest in the car.

I feel for the wife and family. Where is the car located?

It seems to me that when you build a vehicle that is SO CUSTOM
that it REALLY narrows down those who may be a buyer for rear of deailing with the issues that may ensue. It would challenging to find the right person to assist in maintaing the auto particularly in less populated areas.

I would think that an auction house may be a good option with a reserve price
that makes sense. Alternativley, Ebay cars, perhaps the combination of these
two approaches would assist in determining the value and interest in the car.

I feel for the wife and family. Where is the car located?

Anaheim Hills

I have spent many hours talking to Jeff about his and all the mods that is on it. My quick spreadsheet of mods are over $80k.

I gave the car street value of $40 with just 1992 with 42k with 2002 conversion. The car has over 40k in mods alone. Never mind the countless hours Jeff has devoted in his own labor.

I too feel the car commands in the the neighborhood of $50-60k.

Danny

With all due respect, I would say this gorgeous NSX would list for about 49k and settle for about 45k in todays market.

Are there any good photos of Jeff's car anywhere?
Thanks
Trev

Let me know if the family needs some in the mean time cash.
I can spot them a grand.
Jeff's good for it.
Trev

Based on the cars history, mods, and condition, I say its worth aprox 50-60k range in the real world. I think Jeff was and still is an awesome human being, but you have to be like Elton John or someone famous to add dollar value to an NSX.. Whoever buys Jeff's NSX will have bought a completed, finished labor of love project. If it were me, I would buy it and not change one damn thing on the car, Jeff had incredible modding taste in my opinion.:smile:

Last edited:
Let me know if the family needs some in the mean time cash.
I can spot them a grand.
Jeff's good for it.
Trev

We built Jeff an NA1 RSTB custom made for his SC set up... I didnt get a chance to deliver it before he passed so I sent it to NSXPO for auction.

Someone paid 500.00 for it... I hope the $ made it to his wife as there is no way for me to follow up on it.

I miss talking to Jeff and his car is an 11/10

Regards

Back