Japanese Supercars!

I was going through my books tonight, and found a book titled "Japanese Supercars" that was published in 1992. It has about 12 pages on the NSX, so I quickly scanned them in. I will forward them to Lud to post here or in the books section.

In case you'd like a copy of your own (since my scans aren't the greatest), I found some on half.com and Amazon. The book is 80 pages, hard cover, and covers the following cars: NSX, Lexus SC400, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, Nissan 300ZX, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mazda RX-7, and "Hot Rods."

Thanks for the tip !!
Just ordered the book at Amazon.com but it will be about 4 weeks before they get it.
However, since I just got a delivery of eightteen German car-magazines with NSX-related articles, I think I have enough to read for the moment.

Is it this book?

5148905.jpg

Seems out of print everywhere...
frown.gif

BiTer,
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I will cancel my order at amazon.com and reorder at amazon.co.uk.

Gheba,
As stated above, the Amazon-site still lists the book as being available.

Hi Gheba, I believe that is the same book (although my cover shows a Mitsubishi 3000GT instead of the Lexus & NSX). You can find them used on half.com, dunno about international shipping though. Lud said he'd try to get the scans up in a week or so.

Originally posted by hk4site:
Supercar, I think none of the car listed are supercars. Car like F40, Enzo, F1, 959 these are supercars.

Thank you for your opinion, however:

1) it's just a book title
2) in my opinion the NSX is a supercar
3) I don't think any of those cars you mentioned can qualify as "Japanese Supercars", do you?

wink.gif

"3) I don't think any of those cars you mentioned can qualify as "Japanese Supercars", do you?"

Neither does that Lexus SC qualify as a japanese super car. I almost laughed when I saw that cover.

Ok, I'm slow today. Please point out to me what I'm supposed to look for, and how it invalidates Terry Jackson's opinion that the Lexus is a Japanese supercar?

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 06 December 2002).]

As an owner of both a Lexus SC400 and an NSX, perhaps I can help explain. No, the SC400 is not a pure sports car. That is what drove me to eventually buy an NSX too.

However, it is a pretty damn fast car. I have been continually amazed by how good it is, even when I occasionally switch to it from using the NSX. It weighs a lot, is front-engined instead of mid-engined, and has soft bushings to keep the ride reasonable, and all these things add up to less sharp and quick transitions from side to side. But that is really the only thing it yields to most sports cars.

Quite aside from the rush of the 250 HP V8 (more if you add a K&N to help it breathe better like I did), I can take it around exit ramps about as fast as the NSX. Despite it being a comfortable car to cruise distances in, it will corner at .89g.

And that was with the factory Eagle GS-D's. It seems like it goes even faster without even peeping the tires now that I put Bridgestone S-03 Pole Postions on it. I would not be surprised if it was now the same .91 as the NSX. As I say, the transition is less snappy than the NSX, but once it starts the corner it grabs and holds to the point of amazement. Don't try that in the LS400 Lexus sedan, though.

The brakes are as good as the accelleration and cornering. The reliability has been impeccible like the NSX. And the styling is simply beautiful. I decided I simply couldn't part with such a good car when I got the NSX, so now have more cars than people at our house, or spots in our garage!

So while it isn't a pure sports car, I wouldn't put it down as completely inappropriate. It finds a perfect balance between enthusiastic driving and comfort. So I guess it all depends how you define SuperCar.

By the way, I have this book. Unfortunately, my cover has a Mitsubishi 3000GT on it. I wish I had the printing with two of the three cars I own shown as the ones on the cover!

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue/Tan NSX-T with Tubi Exhaust, Fiamm Horn
'92 Green/Tan Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 Blue/Tan BMW 325iT Sportwagon

I never though of a Lexus SC as a japanese supercar. From that list, I see only the

NSX, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, Nissan 300ZX, Mazda RX-7 as the "japanese supercars". These models group together nicely.

The Lexus SC is more of a boulevard cruiser which is how Lexus portrays it in their brochures.

Originally posted by wctsao:

The Lexus SC is more of a boulevard cruiser which is how Lexus portrays it in their brochures.

Huh, I have never seen anything like that in the Lexus brochures. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the new SC430, which is a totally different car redesigned to instead compete against the Mercedes SL? That one is a boulevard cruiser, I think.

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue/Tan NSX-T with Tubi Exhaust, Fiamm Horn
'92 Green/Tan Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 Blue/Tan BMW 325iT Sportwagon

I think the definition of supercar that most of us are thinking of are the pure sports cars that push the envelope in style, acceleration, handling, and most of the time, price..
biggrin.gif
Now, taking only Japanese cars that fit the bill, they have to have enough cars to make the list, don't they?

Sunny

Remember people, this book was written 10 years ago! At the time, there were probably few cars approaching the design and build quality of the Lexus. I mean, my 2002 Mustang GT V8 only puts out 260hp, a mere 10 more than the SC400! If nothing else, the car qualifies as a supercar because it set a benchmark for similar cars to follow...

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 06 December 2002).]

Thank you so much for your time and effort!!

Although I have the book at home, it's nice to see the electronic version at work!!

You're very welcome! Just don't get caught reading it at work (unless you are the boss), cause I ain't gonna be responsible if anyone gets disciplined
wink.gif

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
cause I ain't gonna be responsible if anyone gets disciplined
wink.gif

Are you serious?? Do you know how sinful it is to provide such an entertaining and irresitible resource like the one above, and not be responsible?
smile.gif

Sorry... I admit that I have a dry humor
frown.gif

Back