Jammed OEM CD Changer

My CD changer magazine is stuck inside the changer and it won't come out even if I press the "eject" button. Does anyone know how to remove the CD magazine in this situation? I have a OEM6-disc CD changer. Thanks for your help!

You can carefully insert a thin flat-blade screwdriver (anywhere) between the underside of the magazine and player and then lightly twist the screwdriver. This should release the magazine, as long as CD trays are all contained within the magazine. If a tray is caught up between the magazine and the player head, then the only way I have found how to fix the problem is to disassemble the unit and physically more the tray to the magazine.

DanO

The quick questions is - is it plugged in? It needs power in order for the eject to function.
I removed my changer, as well as the head unit (from where it gets its power) & had to plug everything back together again to get them out!

I had the same problem recently. I am not the most technically inclined person so I didn't attempt to take the changer apart. I instead had the local Acura dealer send it to Alpine and repair it. Come to find out, a CD had become lodged in it and wouldn't fully load or unload. I know this because when they returned it, a missing CD was in the box!

Problem fixed!!! Thanks for all of your input! I ended up manually ejecting the CD magazine by pushing a button located on the underside of the magazine approx. 2 inches in. I then emptied out the magazine and unplugged disconnected the changer. With the magazine out of the changer I reconnected the changer and turned on the CD player. The CD changer will go through a initialization process. Turn off the changer and reload the EMPTY magazine. Turn the changer back on and the stuck CD should unload. Sounds pretty convoluted but it worked. I thought I was going to have to buy a new CD changer or that the dealer would charge me an arm and a leg to fix it.

ryan1926 said:
Problem fixed!!! Thanks for all of your input! I ended up manually ejecting the CD magazine by pushing a button located on the underside of the magazine approx. 2 inches in. I then emptied out the magazine and unplugged disconnected the changer. With the magazine out of the changer I reconnected the changer and turned on the CD player. The CD changer will go through a initialization process. Turn off the changer and reload the EMPTY magazine. Turn the changer back on and the stuck CD should unload. Sounds pretty convoluted but it worked. I thought I was going to have to buy a new CD changer or that the dealer would charge me an arm and a leg to fix it.

JFYI, this is very close to the recomended fix that is printed in all the Alpine 59XX series CD changer in which the NSX changer is based on. I find it funny how Alpine provides the quick inexpensive fix with their changer manuals but Acura rather you pay the big $$ for them to send it to an Alpine repair facility that will do the same thing. Just for reference, I used to help a few friends out when they used to work at a local authorized Alpine repair shop. Most of the time the fix for a jammed CD was a nice good cleaning and lubrication. I think it was $40 or something just because the owner had the shop do it.

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys... my CD player gave me the E 02 message last week and I was really bummed, wondering how many millions it was going to cost to have it repaired... thought sure it was shot... decided to search here under "changer" and found this thread.... happy as hell I just went out to my garage (1120 EST) and with my silly "head mounted" halogen light on, tried what you guys suggested... sure enough, the cartridge came out manually with the screw driver... I could see the jammed cd... put the empty cartridge back in and voila... the cd came back to the cartridge...fixed... I love this site... You guys are the greatest. :)

Sal

No problem!!! Glad to hear that another person was saved from paying the outrageous $$$ that the dealer would charge to fix a simple problem like this. I also love this site 'cause everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable and very willing to help out fellow NSX owners!

My battery completely died and left me with the e-02 and e-01 situation after replacing with a new battery.

So, I found this thread and tried without success to use that button to eject the CD. By the way, its mechanically spring loaded so you don't need power to the unit while sliding in the credit card on the lower edge of the magazine.

You'll see a metallic looking tab about 1/4" in width centered under the bottom edge of the changer. Basically you need to simply push in that credit card (now taped to the changer for future use) no more than 2 inches to disengage the mechanical hold.

But, in my case, it was not releasing so I investigated further with a flashlight and noticed a CD halfway between the magazine and the player. Nothing I tried was going to move that CD in or out.

So I found a 1/16" thick 6" long metal ruler to basically and carefully push the cd back into the changer. This allowed the mechanical credit card trick to release the changer. Once this was done I was still unable to electrically eject the CD so I just pried it out since it was fairly accessible.

Next step, connect power, put the ignition key in, turned on the radio/cd player and put in an empty magazine where it cycled and found nothing to play. Pressed eject and loaded it up and its all up and running again.

Thanks for the tips!

Also found this which helped explain the location of the switch a little too.

http://forums.prod.legend.org/audio/msgs/1661.phtml

What a terrible design on Alpine's part that allows this to happen! Geez!

Back