Is this normal? 20% of rotors not wearing

I just put on HPS pads and resurfaced rotors. After about 150 miles and a bed in, my front rotors don't look like all the surface area is being used. Any thoughts?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368445279.856166.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368445290.121867.jpg

If I am interpreting the pictures correctly, all is well. The pads do not run all the way to the hub so they will only show wear in the band where they are actually making contact. You may also discover, with a lot of wear on the rotor, that you have an unworn band at the outer edge.

If I am interpreting the pictures correctly, all is well. The pads do not run all the way to the hub so they will only show wear in the band where they are actually making contact. You may also discover, with a lot of wear on the rotor, that you have an unworn band at the outer edge.

Agreed. Only reason to be worried is if the pad would normally touch that area - easy to check if you take the wheel off real quick.

1 piece, oem rotors that i had slotted and the pad is not touching the bottom half inch near the hub. Just seams like a lot of wasted stopping power.

This is the way it's supposed to be??

Last edited:
are those pads nsx specific?

Got them from SOS
Maybe ill call tomorrow and make sure they're correct.

Those are my old brakes. Something is wrong. That line shouldn't be like that. I can tell you 100% my brakes were in perfe t working order when I sold them to the guy that you then bought them from. But at this point it's hard for me to tell because you've slotted the rotors, refinished the calipers, are using a bracket, etc. it seems to me the pad is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Caliper may also not be on correctly. Is this on an NA1?

Yup, its an 03 and im using all your stuff. OEM rotors we sent out and slotted, calipers were coated but all brackets are your old parts. Only thing different is that the pads are Hawks HPS from SOS. Joe installed all this and he feels its right and that maybe is that the pads are tapered and have not seated fully yet. He did take a pic at his shop before I picked up the car and the line was in the middle of the rotor, now its down to a third. I hope he is right, I was thinking maybe a slide pin is stuck or something but on both sides? it has to be the pads wearing, I hope. Im going to go abuse the brakes later and see what happens.

So with a little help from Joe it seems the outcome is that the calipers are warped from track use and pretty much junked. Between the brakes and powder coating, almost 2k down the crapper and still need brakes. Bummed

I don't think there is anything wrong with those calipers. That's nuts and I am 100% sure that is an incorrect diagnosis. Those calipers were in perfect working order and they stopped my car as good as my current Stoptechs with the worse pads. What does that even mean? "they are junk". Do you know how many OEM calipers see the track day after day after day and never have issues? Ask Ken Sax. Ask Ryneen. Ask RSO34. There are so many guys that track on the OEM calipers. Now mine saw like 10 twenty minute sessions and suddenly they are junk because of track use? On a 2005 car with less than 15K miles on the brakes?

I would never sell junk. Those things stopped my car on a dime. No vibration, no shake, no issues whatsoever. I'm not even the original seller here but I am trying to help you out. I am telling you I know for sure there was nothing wrong with those calipers. If anything has happened, it has happened after the fact with the powder coating process and that wouldn't be with the caliper housing but maybe with rubber seals or something. Those are steel calipers. They don't just bend and warp. They are incredibly strong. They go up in flames and they still won't change shape.

What is the issue anyway? Your pads will probably seat better and you will get that film all over the rotor.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also curious, what happened to your 2003 brakes that you bought my set?

Last edited:
Dave i dont think he is calling you out, however i agree completely with you that it is near impossible to warp the callipers, rotors maybe-is the wearing the same all round do they shudder when braking?
this just doesnt sound right.

No I know he isn't. I just got a little upset because someone just decided to call these perfectly good parts "junk from track use". I don't think they understand the parts or "track use". I also feel bad and want to help him. The thing is we don't even know what the issue is. If it is that picture above, that will most likely go away as the pad wears. If the calipers are "junk", I would like to know what is determining that. Did he take a measurement caliper and take measurements at various points and compare to a stock spec? This "Joe" said they have "spread". I mean how do you "spread" a steel caliper? :confused: That kind of comment alone would make me mistrust the installer. The only thing I had was some slight discoloration on the lower edges of the calipers and that is not unusual. Rotors were straight, pads were good, there was no shudder when I took them off my car to install the stoptechs.

Last edited:
To be clear I'm not calling anyone out. Just upset. Anyway I took of the calipers and can see that the pads are wearing on an angle and the front is not wearing at all. The rotors were just turned so if the caliper isn't true how else could this happen? Everything is installed correctly but 20% of the pad isn't making contact with the rotor. Both sides of the car, both sides of the rotor. I believe it's spread. I have power coated a few sets of calipers and that simply does not damage calipers. Overheating calipers on a track can spread them. Dave, like I said not calling anyone out and to be honest, with out installing new rotors and pads to inspect you would have never known. My problem is that the brakes I've invested a lot of cash and time in are not functioning correctly, what do I do now
ygadedut.jpg

Last edited:
According to his sig, he has an 03. This almost looks like 91-96 rotors on a 97+ bracket

I too think the rotors are too small.
Normally the pads don't wear right to the top of the rotor but leave a small strip on the outside edge.
It looks like the pads in this case are leaving the bottom of the rotor untouched and running right off the top.
Suggests the calliper is mounted to far away from the centreline
Perhaps a 97+ bracket and calliper on a 91 rotor

Last edited:
I too think the rotors are too small.
Normally the pads don't wear right to the top of the rotor but leave a small strip on the outside edge.
It looks like the pads in this case are leaving the bottom of the rotor untouched and running right off the top.
Suggests the calliper is mounted to far away from the centreline
Perhaps a 97+ bracket and calliper on a 91 rotor

I noticed that as well. I never got wear at the outer edge of my rotor. You are wearing at the top. I am with Jim on this one. Something is not installed correctly, something is wrong on a rotor, something else is going on. Please tell me where you get the idea that calipers "spread". Do you know the force calipers are supposed to withstand and the heat levels? I replaced pads on those brakes on a REGULAR basis. I never had uneven wear.

- - - Updated - - -

You still didn't say why you bought 2005 brakes for a 2003. This is rather important information, if we are going to try to figure out what is going on.

What could be wrong? There is not way to mess up the installation, its 2 bolts. Lol And, I do very much understand the force calipers are supposed to hold and the limits of stock calipers. They can handle so track sessions but Bernie at Davis acura will tell you that the track car eat up stock calipers due to heat spread. Im waiting for a call back from Bernie to discuss what happens to the pads, rotors and everything else when the calipers are spread. Look guys, installation was double checked and its not the issue. It can only be one of two things that can cause uneven wear on the pads like this. 1. Rotors are not true, they were just cut when this setup was installed. However, I have one with me and Im getting it checked out today. 2. calipers have spread. Listen, I hope that's not the case because I put a lot into them but what else could it be. I cant be the piston or slides, it would not be doing the same issue on each side of the car in the same places. Again, not trying to say anyone fuc#ed me, just looking to get it resolved. The reason I bought your brakes is because from some reason my car had na1 brakes on it. But, now that that's all be removed and your complete set up was installed that should not even matter. The brackets and everything else is from an 05 as it should be.

Question: Why were the rotors re-surfaced? I was under the impression that rotors should not be resurfaced,
only replaced [ maybe in the old days with a GM car but not with NSX].

Question: Why were the rotors re-surfaced? I was under the impression that rotors should not be resurfaced,
only replaced [ maybe in the old days with a GM car but not with NSX].

He took the rotors to some place that slotted them.

r1 concepts did it. They make NSX rotors also.

so let me understand :confused: these are daves, old 05 oem brakes bought from someone who got them from dave?So there is an intermediate user? The current owner has an 03 which had 91-96 brakes before buying these? Bernie has confirmed that the 05 brackets are being used?The pads are for 97 and up brakes?I'm a little foggy on all this.

so let me understand :confused: these are daves, old 05 oem brakes bought from someone who got them from dave?So there is an intermediate user? The current owner has an 03 which had 91-96 brakes before buying these? Bernie has confirmed that the 05 brackets are being used?The pads are for 97 and up brakes?I'm a little foggy on all this.

Yes, I sold my brakes to someone else, he in turn later sold them to jdmdohcpower. He said without ever installing them. Then jdmdohcpower had the rotors slotted, the calipers powder coated, and removed the 91-96 brakes to install my brakes on his 2003. And now he is getting uneven pad wear, and believes that my calipers were spread because they saw 4-5 HPDE track days.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see some pictures of the brakes on the car without the wheels. I think that would shed some light.

Last edited:
The guy I bought them from didn't even open the box. Still packaged from Dave. Yes, I have na1 brakes for some reason which I discovered when removing the wheel and finding a spacer. The brackets are Daves as are the calipers and rotors. Pads are Hawks from SOS for 03 year. Also lets try to keep the attitude out of the post. I don't know the history of the calipers but they were tracked and this is a possibility. I don't have many pics with me here is one of the back
amu5ure4.jpg

Last edited:
Back