Is this a reasonable price.

96t/Manual, Red/tan w/20181k miles @ Lexus of Knoxville. VIN#JH4NA1185TT000011. Car checks out on Carfax, they purchased @ Manheim in FLA. They will sell the car for 46,500 and I saw it on e-bay this morning with a restriction @ 45,500. They say they want to move on the car ASAP and while i'm not in a terrible hurry I don't want to pass it up if its sounds like a good price. It has new tires and they have replaced a computor chip ? (engine monitor system). All done a Acura shop. Havn't seen it in person. What do you think, or should I hold out on a 97 with more HP as the weight is greater in the 96t in comparison to the earlyer models that weight lighter.

------------------

IMO that's quite a good price, assuming it's in excellent condition, clean title, etc. It's about average for a '96 but most of the '96's have a lot more mileage on them than this one.

However, the '97 has a lot of advantages over the '96; the biggest are the bigger engine, the six-speed, and additional rigidity.

Whether it's worth it to you to pay the extra $8-12K that you'll probably have to pay for a '97 over a similar '96 is something that only you can decide.

I think if your gonna spend that much money, you might as well wait for a 97 that is lighter, has a 6 speed, and more HP! In my opinion, it would be worth the extra money. But hey, thats just my opinion!
Z

That is quite a good price for that car. If you think a 97+ is worth it to you, I would hold out for it, but Ken is right, it will cost you 8-12k more for a similar car.

If interested, there is a black 97 NSX T listed on cars.com. 37k miles, listed at $48,995. Smithtown Acura 631-366-6000. Assuming it's in good condition, I think this is a good deal. Plus, it's an Acura dealer so I would think they would be more truthful about the condition etc. Good luck.

I looked on acura.com to see if the black 97-T I just mentioned was certified and for some reason, it is not. I guess you may want to ask why not or if they can certify it?

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
It appears that the opinion is.... Hold out for a 97t. But know way will I see a low milage model of less than 30k for below $50K.

listed on autotrader.com:
1997 ACURCA NSX, excel condition, 6/spd, Monte Carlo blue exterior/Black lea interior, 26, 300 miles, Targa-top, 6/CD changer, no accidents, asking $50, 000

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Be VERY careful about checking out any car that sounds like it's too good to be true.

Lud can tell you how many Monte Carlo Blue cars he checked out before he found one that was in good shape.

Originally posted by ck:
That is quite a good price for that car. If you think a 97+ is worth it to you, I would hold out for it, but Ken is right, it will cost you 8-12k more for a similar car.

But I got my 97 for under $50k and this is a good price. And yes I would have to say a you'll be happier with a 97 as I am with mine.

You'll still have to pay $8-12K more for a similar '97 than a '96 unless you get very, very lucky. Yes, you can get a '97 for JUST under $50K, just like you can probably find a '96 for $42K... but they probably won't be low-mileage perfect cream puff cars. For equivalent cars, you can expect to pay at least $8K more for the '97.

Thanks for the input. I may hold out for a 97, hopefully a blk or red, but I believe there are less 40 of these cars produced in each color with tan interiors and I havn't seen to many for less than 55k with low miles. I may consider finding a 93 to 95 model and pay less and wait a couple of years for a 97 or 98. Don't know as of yet. Gonna call Lexus of Knoxville in the morning and see if the 96 is still available. For some reason, after a couple of months of looking and with summer coming I think my chances of finding a 97 in the prefered colors are going as likley as me not paying additional taxes tomorrow.

------------------

Back