• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Is there a rapid deploy targa top?

IMPORTANT QUESTION - Please either save me some time or support my invention!

Story:
I was in my car driving around enjoying life and a bright sunny day, when I got the urge to get get a drink. So I pulled into a drive thru and while being handed my drink a sun-shower started pouring. My top was down, the sun was out, there was just a few puffy little clouds - never would have expected rain - let alone a downpour.

Luckily I was at a mcdonalds with a huge overhang, not a drop in the car. By the time I got out of the car to get the roof, the rain was over.

Made me think: If I were driving and got caught like this I would have been screwed. I LOVE having the top off, the car looks so much more amazing IMHO with the targa off and the wind noise is intoxicating!!

Then I thought, is there some aftermarket quick deploy targa top? Has anyone heard of one? I decided to look into fabricating one and came up with a design... but didn't want to go through the trouble of making it if there is already one out there.

So, I am asking you my NSX brothers: Is there a lightweight, retractable, quick-donning targa roof out there or should I make one and market it to other owners?

My Idea:
It wouldnt be something that you would want to drive around with deployed, just something you can reach over your head and pull forward into the locking mechanism in a rain emergency like the one I just described. I would design it to withstand no greater than 35-50 mph deployed... The entire idea is to just get a roof up QUICKLY, and then find a place to put the real roof up. It could also be used when parking the car so you don't have to worry about it.

1. Is there something like this out there?
2. Who would like one, if I end up making it?

Thanks

J

Last edited:
http://www.khrantenterprises.com/tops/index.php

Step%205%20-%20Another%20view.jpg

I have a coupe never have to worry about it.

also have a targa, will prob never take the top off again. didnt like it.

but in a real down pour your gonna pull over very quickly and get the top on anyway.

so if your idea was a temp fix till you can pull over. reaching up and pulling the plastic tarp thingy then connecting it to the latches,

driving in the rain with other cars around you while shifting and one hand on the wheel looking up to hook the latches = wreck your car.

not to bash your idea in anyway

I've managed to get my top on while stuck at a red light and been ready to roll before it turned green. :)

I've also just kept driving, especially on the highway. Above about 40 mph, the rain will mostly blow over the top and not intrude much in the cabin.

I've managed to get my top on while stuck at a red light and been ready to roll before it turned green. :)

I've also just kept driving, especially on the highway. Above about 40 mph, the rain will mostly blow over the top and not intrude much in the cabin.

+1

One time it started raining while i was doing 70 mph on a highway and it I only noticed the rear glass being slightly wet.

There is a DIY fix for your problem Jason, you have to drive faster :)

Gotta give credit to Honda engineering. It's so easy to remove/put back the targa top. You'll especially appreciate this if you ever see how a Supra owner removes/returns his top! I almost laughed when I saw some small tool they had to use.

+1

same with corvettes and early ferrari targas...a HUGE hassle to get the top off/on. the nsx top takes literally 5 seconds

+1

same with corvettes and early ferrari targas...a HUGE hassle to get the top off/on. the nsx top takes literally 5 seconds

I will donate $10 to prime if you can do the following in 5 seconds.

Get out of your car, take the T-top off by unlatching both mounting latches, open the engine latch, open the T-top cover compartment and secure it, secure the T-top in the cover compartment (OEM version as the Comptech will take longer), close the engine cover, and get back to your car. You can change the order if you think there is a more efficient process.

Or the same in reverse order in 5 seconds especially when the engine compartment is hot :biggrin:

What he posted :wink:

I have one of these, like it and use it often. The pics don't do it justice, on the bottom of the flaps that hang over the side windows there are suction cups that hold the top to the car windows. It is a well-designed, well-fitting unit. It is not for when the car is in motion but is a great idea for a quick stop on a drive and a need to cover the interior quickly in a temporary fashion. It folds up accordian-style into a small footprint and has a nice vinyl sleeve for storage.

It does not deploy roll-out style as you have mentioned and is not for when the car is in motion but is a simpler alternative to deploying the targa top.

When I bought my car from the PO I bought all of the accessories (like this top) and knick-knacks (die casts, X-Mods, etc) to make it an easier break for the PO. As much as it hurt him to watch his baby drive off I didn't want to leave him with any residuals. This top was something that I am glad that I took with me and now that I see that Khrant is offering it I feel even better about it. Khrant made me 2 sets of awesome floor mats that I am very pleased with so I would recommend this soft top without reservation.

Please support the upstanding cottage industry folks like Khrant that make nice stuff available for our limited-production cars. I would not recommend other aftermarket suppliers that like to screw us (nameless- but really take your pick at this point as there are several) but Khrant ain't one of them.

Last edited:
Please support the upstanding cottage industry folks like Khrant that make nice stuff available for our limited-production cars. I would not recommend other aftermarket suppliers that like to screw us (nameless- but really take your pick at this point as there are several) but Khrant ain't one of them.

+1

And if it also made my car faster on the track I would already have one. :biggrin:

I gotten caught in the rain with my top out and I swear didn't get soaked like I thought, just sprinkles. Maybe it had something to do with the car moving? I can put on or take out,my top at a spotlight in a flash.

I only got caught in rain with the top off once. I always have a towel in the glove compartment to dry everything off. Thats my solution to that problem.

Offering full disclosure: posts 5, 14 and 15 were NOT paid for :eek::tongue:

I appreciate the vote of confidence; and concur that supporting the cottage industry benefits all.

Last edited:
Gotta give credit to Honda engineering. It's so easy to remove/put back the targa top. You'll especially appreciate this if you ever see how a Supra owner removes/returns his top! I almost laughed when I saw some small tool they had to use.

watch TWO people have to install the Murci roadster top

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mn04ItHDqPk" allowfullscreen="" width="425" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

Offering full disclosure: posts 5, 14 and 15 were NOT paid for :eek::tongue:

I appreciate the vote of confidence; and cocnur that supporting the cottage industry benefits all.

There is no pricing on your site, how much are the floor mats in black & how much is the top?

watch TWO people have to install the Murci roadster top

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mn04ItHDqPk" allowfullscreen="" width="425" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

reminds me of dealing with the top to my friends jeep

The S2000 has got to be the quickest on the market. <10sec locked in place.
quicker than an umbrella...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcyDQo1JRvg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcyDQo1JRvg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Last edited:
Back