Is the NSX without equal?

Don't like the R8 it's just ugly and not very special.
Is not pratical like a NSX
Does not have a special top speed only 320KM

I think the Corvette Z06 would be the more like a NSX

According to many articles it's very special and it does not have to have an over 320km top speed to be special. The NSX doesn't.:rolleyes: You may want to read it if you haven't done so. http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/27/audi-r8-2007-2008/. As far as looks, each it's own taste and I respect that. However, the ZO6 it's NOT like an NSX. It has to be mid-engine before even condsidered any similarity. Eventhough it is a powerful perfomance car, but it lacks finesse and exotism.

Lotus Exige S or a SCed/Turbo Elise?

Looking for other options for a nice track day/Fun car.

Anyone with any real experience or ownership?

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/a5174a56-6040-4a7d-8d80-2d24f9cec9ee.htm

These are great track cars but they are what many would consider kit cars. Definitely get the FI Elise over the Exige S. You'll get more options and more power if you go with the reliable ForceFed S/C. The Exige will also be more expensive.

They are fun but they're simply don't have the amenities and driveability of an NSX. So far mine's been very reliable. No complaints. I love my Elise but quite honestly I want more. I think I'm going to get an Ariel Atom and ditch the Elise. :biggrin:

As far as back to topic most people either read and did not understand ( although he spoke plainly ) or have changed the posters original question in their own mind and then replied. Here it is again so maybe we can start fresh.

"Ok, here's a question that's been brewing in my mind, as I consider another car purchase down the road (I'll keep the NSX, of course). What is the next closest car to the NSX? Is it utterly without equal, or is there another car that shares its amazing combination of qualities? I know I'm asking a vague question, so let me try to clarify. The NSX is arguably the best balance between exotic appeal, affordability, reliability, and performance (although straightline power is not its forte). It turns the heads of both kids riding bikes and grown men driving $100k+ cars."

The R8 isn't out yet and is an unknown. The RS4 isn't exotic neither are the M6 or M3 , 911 ( most you mentioned would only turn the heads of enthusiats that know these are rare jewels they are ). The Ferrari 360 maybe more reliable than the 355 ,but still does not match the NSX in terms of reliabilty which is what the man was asking in the first place ( also note for the record he did not use dealer service as a qualifier ). So with these qualifications now hopefully understood what are the NSX's equals?

Although I expected the discussion to follow its own course to some extent, as members chimed in with responses that varied in how strictly they adhered to the letter vs. spirit of my question, I appreciate your call to focus the discussion on the criteria I chose to underscore.:)

My synopsis of the discussion:

1)Taking my criteria literally: The NSX is without equal

2)Allowing for elimination/reduction in significance of one or more criteria (which is fine for discussion's sake, but not for my purchase decision;)): Opens the door to many other cars such as 996 TT, R8, Z06, Supra, Viper, Elise, Ariel Atom, each of which fall short in some noteworthy fashion

It still sounds as if a used 996 TT comes closest to fulfiling my criteria, although the R8 is a very interesting possibility as well (ironic that they're both German makes). I do all work on my own cars, short of tranny rebuilds, so warrentee coverage and dealership support is a very low priority. On the other hand, lack of warentee coverage and doing all my own work are also why I don't want a "reliability-challenged" exotic that causes me headaches that I have to shell out mucho $$$ for. I'd rather just stick with my reliable NSX and turbo Subarus than buy another high end "fun" car that risks being finniky and problem-plagued.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of interesting suggestions in this thread, particularly the Ariel Atom. I really wanted one after watching that Top Speed video, lol.

Although I expected the discussion to follow its own course to some extent, as members chimed in with responses that varied in how strictly they adhered to the letter vs. spirit of my question, I appreciate your call to focus the discussion on the criteria I chose to underscore.:)

My synopsis of the discussion:

1)Taking my criteria literally: The NSX is without equal

2)Allowing for elimination/reduction in significance of one or more criteria (which is fine for discussion's sake, but not for my purchase decision;)): Opens the door to many other cars such as 996 TT, R8, Z06, Supra, Viper, Elise, Ariel Atom, each of which fall short in some noteworthy fashion

It still sounds as if a used 996 TT comes closest to fulfiling my criteria, although the R8 is a very interesting possibility as well (ironic that they're both German makes). I do all work on my own cars, short of tranny rebuilds, so warrentee coverage and dealership support is a very low priority. On the other hand, lack of warentee coverage and doing all my own work are also why I don't want a "reliability-challenged" exotic that causes me headaches that I have to shell out mucho $$$ for. I'd rather just stick with my reliable NSX and turbo Subarus than buy another high end "fun" car that risks being finniky and problem-plagued.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of interesting suggestions in this thread, particularly the Ariel Atom. I really wanted one after watching that Top Speed video, lol.

The 996 TT is a great car but, as you mentioned, you'll be giving up quite a bit in some areas. I personally don't think the 996, and any Porsche for that matter (CGT excluded), looks better and as exotic as some of the other cars mentioned. I think the R8 looks much more "exotic."

Also, reliability is probably no better that most of the other options. I would imagine with the technology of the 996 and most of the newer performance cars it's increasingly more difficult to do work yourself as special knowledge and tools are increasingly more necessary.

However, on the upside, the 996 is extremely comfortable, driveable and has lots of amenities. And, of course, it's very fast and trackable.

It's a great choice but personally if I were going the Porsche route I would wait a couple of years and find a 997 TT, but that's just me.

After driving my NSX, I still thoroughly enjoy getting into my true 4door sports car, the RX-8. There are three in my family and we all don't fit in the NSX together. It is by no means as good looking or as fast as the NSX stock, but the handling is as good, if not better. There are some supercharger kits coming out for the RX-8 (Pettit Racing) that give it the acceleration of the NSX. I do love shifting at 9300rpm.
The other car I looked at and was a close second to the NSX in looks with performance was the Cayman S. I do like the longitudinal engine layout of the Cayman S better than the Lateral NSX.

John

RS6. Not an exotic or supercar. But definitely a rare bird with handling, horses, and fits the bill as a sleeper.

Very rare. Just over 1000 sold in North America. But it's a sedan equivalent to the E39 M5 or the E55 AMG. Not a pure sports car. I think the last year of the RS6 was 2004--first year was 2002. Still a hell of a car.

The new RS6 is rumored to be using a turbo version of the S6's 5.2L V-10 making about 520-550 HP--should be a E60 M5 killer.

Bringing this back from the dead ... Nissan Skyline GTR R34 (i KNOW YOU cant drive it here but damn, open your garage and having an NSX and R34, now that is rare ! Just keep it for the track!!!!

For the feelings of control and the performances, I think that the car nearest to the NSX, it is F355, but, on the reliability and the maintenance costs (without counting the very high taxes in Europe), the NSX is quite higher, it does not have there other cars to make the comparison!:smile:

What you REALLY need is.....................another NSX. :rolleyes:

RS6. Not an exotic or supercar. But definitely a rare bird with handling, horses, and fits the bill as a sleeper.

IMHO the best daily drier on the planet. I miss mine.

I love the NSX with all my heart but:

R8 = saw one flying and WOW, that is what the nsx should look like

Viper = Not super expensive and DANG that car is HOT (interior can be redone)

Z06 = No need to explain why

Cayman S = also, so beautiful and has enough power

GTR = ? maybe? i know isn't an exotic but I'm yet to see one live

I still would take an 02+ nsx over the others but this just shows that you must be a really NSX fanatic to think there's no other like .. =)

Oscar

Let me first ask you, what are you prepared to spend for this new car????

The only car that can compare to the NSX ImO is the new Audi R8. It has all the "wow" factor of the NSX and certainly the performance and engine sound to match. My friend has a white one and we parked next to each other at a restaurant. Both cars got equal stares but be prepared to spend well over $130k plus for this new car.

I don't get why you would want another car that compares to the NSX but keeping the NSX too. Forget about Porsche, been there and it's not an NSX. Performance wise it will kill the NSX but look wise it where it's lacking.

I still don't understand your question or purpose in asking this but there are few cars on the market that can compare to an NSX in all fairness. I will volunteer my s2000 as a similiar fun toy but certainly not as exclusive or exotic.

**I'll add one more criteria for you to consider, for those of you who love to work on and tune their own cars, the NSX is one of the few you can personally work on. The newer super exotics besides being out of reach of the average American budget, is the fact that they can only be serviced by special technicians. I have not worked on the new Audi R8 but I'm pretty sure the engine is way too high tech for most to tinker with....

rick

R8 comparison .. yuck!

R8 is not precedent setting like NSX nor will it have its durability , reliability etc. Let's not forget on debut NSX was called Ferrari killer and it beat Ferrari in almost every category. R8 doesn't beat F430 at it's game hence no "new NSX".

Nice car but not an NSX replacement. Same goes for whatever Honda replaces it with.

Back