Is the NSX without equal?

Ok, here's a question that's been brewing in my mind, as I consider another car purchase down the road (I'll keep the NSX, of course:D). What is the next closest car to the NSX? Is it utterly without equal, or is there another car that shares its amazing combination of qualities? I know I'm asking a vague question, so let me try to clarify. The NSX is arguably the best balance between exotic appeal, affordability, reliability, and performance (although straightline power is not its forte). It turns the heads of both kids riding bikes and grown men driving $100k+ cars.

Is there any other car that can match the NSX's ability to do these things? For the life of me, I can't think of a single one, which is why I bought the car in the first place. I'd consider the 996 911 TT which is a phenomenal performer, fairly reliable and reasonably affordable (used), but is relatively common and lacks head turning styling, and may not be as likely to hit 200k miles in stride like NSXs seem to. A Viper? Supra? Perhaps a Lotus Elise, which is rare and exotic looking (in a cute way:tongue: ), but comes up way short in its practicality and reliability.

I want to say a 996 TT is probably about the next best choice, but wanted to see what other other candidates I may be overlooking.

This is a dumb question but WHY would you want to get another car that is as close to the NSX but isn't??? :confused:
For my other vehicles of travel, I chose different types and more doors for various reason.

annointed said:
Ok, here's a question that's been brewing in my mind, as I consider another car purchase down the road (I'll keep the NSX, of course:D). What is the next closest car to the NSX? Is it utterly without equal, or is there another car that shares its amazing combination of qualities? I know I'm asking a vague question, so let me try to clarify. The NSX is arguably the best balance between exotic appeal, affordability, reliability, and performance (although straightline power is not its forte). It turns the heads of both kids riding bikes and grown men driving $100k+ cars.

Is there any other car that can match the NSX's ability to do these things? For the life of me, I can't think of a single one, which is why I bought the car in the first place. I'd consider the 996 911 TT which is a phenomenal performer, fairly reliable and reasonably affordable (used), but is relatively common and lacks head turning styling, and may not be as likely to hit 200k miles in stride like NSXs seem to. A Viper? Supra? Perhaps a Lotus Elise, which is rare and exotic looking (in a cute way:tongue: ), but comes up way short in its practicality and reliability.

I want to say a 996 TT is probably about the next best choice, but wanted to see what other other candidates I may be overlooking.

Using the criteria that you are then No. Most people just look at numbers. I think the Supra might be the closest ,but is it a head turner for anything ,but the "Fast and Furious" crowd?

annointed said:
A Viper? Supra? Perhaps a Lotus Elise

Viper is not cheap to own from what I've seen. I've heard with normal use, the eat $2,000 clutches for breakfast.

Supra is a nice choice. To the majority of people though, it looks like just a normal car. Even to car guys, they dont know if its a turbo or not.

Lotus Elise. With a Toyota motor, you would think it would be reliable. It is far from reliable. I've heard several stories of brand new ones simply not starting, doors not unlocking, bolts poping through the fenders, etc, etc. Also call your local lotus dealer and ask how much an oil change costs.

The NSX is truely without equal IMO.

92NSX said:
This is a dumb question but WHY would you want to get another car that is as close to the NSX but isn't??? :confused:
For my other vehicles of travel, I chose different types and more doors for various reason.

I want something with an amazing combination of strengths and value like the NSX, not something that is in some way inferior or subordinate to it as you seem to imply;). Basically, I want to see what other vehicles offer an interesting addition to my fleet:)

As you can see, I already have a variety of interesting cars with various doors, cargo space and performance characteristics. My sig doesn't show it, but I also have a turbocharged Dodge Ram, a Subaru Outback for lugging stuff I don't want to put in the back of the pick-up, and a Saturn that gets 35 mpg for trips in which I want to conserve fuel. So I've got all the bases covered, just interested in another fun car that packs a lot of value and possibly some exotic flavor at the same time. Or maybe I just have car ADHD, lol.:D

I'm even tempted to replace the Ram with a Lightning or Harley Davidson F series which will probably be a lot of fun, too. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a second RWD vehicle, although I suppose I could justify it if it's a truck. :)

The Supra is an interesting idea, given its rarity and the liklihood that it will not depreciate much, kind of like the NSX...

I've asked myself the same question, looking at cars in the price range of the NSX, and it is really hard to find an answer.

I would say the next step up is the 360. You have the looks, power and handling and the reliability is at new levels for a Ferrari.

I too thought about this question for a long time. Let me summarize it this way: I can't think of a car that is under 100k that I would trade my NSX for:) Obviously, new nsx's dont count:)

Cayman S

annointed said:
I want something with an amazing combination of strengths and value like the NSX, not something that is in some way inferior or subordinate to it as you seem to imply;). Basically, I want to see what other vehicles offer an interesting addition to my fleet:)

As you can see, I already have a variety of interesting cars with various doors, cargo space and performance characteristics. My sig doesn't show it, but I also have a turbocharged Dodge Ram, a Subaru Outback for lugging stuff I don't want to put in the back of the pick-up, and a Saturn that gets 35 mpg for trips in which I want to conserve fuel. So I've got all the bases covered, just interested in another fun car that packs a lot of value and possibly some exotic flavor at the same time. Or maybe I just have car ADHD, lol.:D

I'm even tempted to replace the Ram with a Lightning or Harley Davidson F series which will probably be a lot of fun, too. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a second RWD vehicle, although I suppose I could justify it if it's a truck. :)

The Supra is an interesting idea, given its rarity and the liklihood that it will not depreciate much, kind of like the NSX...

Our Supra TT has gone up in value since buying it used about 4 to 5 years ago. The prices for clean ones are really high nowadays.

I'd have to say that the F355 is the closest. Similar performance figures and price range, although it would be an older F355 vs. a newer 02+ NA2.

I'd say the clean 91-94 are without equal in regards to value and reliability. When getting a used car, reliability issues are a huge factor for me because its an added cost to purchase an extended warranty.

For example I had to shed an extra $4500 for a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty for the Range Rover that adds to the cost of the car, but it was still a good deal for me considering the sticker price of a new one.

For 60K plus I'd jump into the new GT-R before anything else.

For 120K plus, I'd prefer to own multiple cars and the 91-94 NSX will still be in it.

Money not being an object, I'd like the 993 Turbo S in Turquoise Blue please.:biggrin: The Aston DB9 and Vantage are all so very sexy as well, while not overly attracting attention vs. a Lambo Murcie or Ferrari F430.

I don't think I'd ever purchase a Lambo or Ferrari even if I had the funds. I'd prefer a Japanese supercar plus some cash.

I like class and uniqueness. Personalization is a must as I've never had a car that is stock.

A nice car can be had for a reasonable price. I would never purchase a car new........NEVER.

Thats just me though.:smile:

With your criteria which includes exotic looks and reliability, there is nothing else right now. Thats why I bought an 05 NSX because I considered all those criteria. You will have to give up something.

I don't even think we will see another car like the NSX in the future, no car company wants to invest that much and sell 200 a year.

If you want reliable, you will have 3 good but expensive choices coming:

Nissan GT-R, 2008/09 NSX, Lexus LF-A.

annointed said:
Ok, here's a question that's been brewing in my mind, as I consider another car purchase down the road (I'll keep the NSX, of course:D). What is the next closest car to the NSX? Is it utterly without equal, or is there another car that shares its amazing combination of qualities? I know I'm asking a vague question, so let me try to clarify. The NSX is arguably the best balance between exotic appeal, affordability, reliability, and performance...

What you're asking is if there is a better all-around car than the NSX and I truly believe the answer is no.

First, the NSX is far and away the most reliable performance car ever built. That is a huge factor.

In terms of looks it definitely shows up. I suppose the look is becoming a bit dated now but keep in mind that in 1991 the NSX's looks were electrifying and to many, including me, still are. To me, the hallmark of an incredibly beautiful car is when it's 15 years old and the average person still mistakes it for being a brand new model. That happens to me all the time (even before my 02+ conversion).

In terms of performance, at least on the track, the NSX is still very fast and was even faster, relatively speaking, when it was introduced. Straight line was never the NSX's game but I think all that matters is how fast it goes around the track.

Don't forget about intangibles like comfort, visibility and driveability. The NSX has all those and most other exotics did not and many still don't.

And of course, scarcity. Yes, MKIV Supras are rare but aren't as balanced or fast around the track and don't look as good as an NSX. They are great cars though. And the Porsche look is not hard to find. The average person doesn't know the difference between a 959 and a boxter :rolleyes:

Looking at the Viper, 355/360, 911 and Elise (which I also own) the fact is none are as reliable and have the ease of driveability of the NSX. Without exception every person I've ever talked to who drove a Viper would NOT daily drive it. The Elise is fun but it's a fairly uncomfortable luxury go-kart. Very bare-bones and pretty raw. Yes, a 996 TT is fast as heck but the looks don't inspire me and the reliablilty is not in the Honda ballpark. That makes the Cayman S is a worthy competitor but IMO it's not as good looking or reliable.

So, in closing, I'm not afraid to answer your question by saying yes, the NSX is the best all-around performance car ever made.

Psychobiology said:
Our Supra TT has gone up in value since buying it used about 4 to 5 years ago. The prices for clean ones are really high nowadays.

That is so true. I bought a 93 TT with ~70K miles in early 2001 for $21K. Good luck finding that same car for less now. Wow, do those MKIVs hold their value. :cool:

Auraraptor said:
Cayman S for in production
355 for ex production

LoL neither of those meet all the criteria:wink:

Over here in Holland, Europe we have the bad fortune that both the cars themselves and the maintenance and parts are much more expensive than in the US.
So getting a high performance car is even a bigger desicion than with you guys...

The other cars I considered when looking at the NSX were The Porsche GT3 and the Noble M12
The Porsche imo is just plain too expensive 2nd hand (a good My 1999 goes for U$ 90.000 here)
The Noble M12 is almost impossible to find LHD, is UK handbuilt so I expect it to have reliability problems and is a more hardcore track minded car.
Ferrari for me just doesn't come into consideration, yes some look great and sound awesome, but the thought of all the italian parts that can and probably will break down....:tongue:
Not much else comes to mind equal to a NSX

Vancehu said:

This is the car that comes to mind when I think of new cars. Mid engined, decent power, reliable.

If I were to purchase additional sports cars, I would definitely go for some more early 90's japanese cars. I like the RX-7 R, 300Z TT, Supra TT.

Nothing else equals the NSX. End of story. The competition are those italian brands but those cars break down a lot more often and they have nothing on NSX reliability or the maintaining cost deadly people can live with, so there is no equal.

We need more proper built lowmaintance supersportscars with mid-engine...

Porsche 911 is great in terms of reliability and buildquality but you see a Porsche almost every second day in a big city, too common - and they all look the same. You don't get that snob-feeling in a NSX too (but you loose some of that with 911 GT3 and GT2). Noone turns their head against a 911, only the enthusiasts do. Lamborghini, TVR, Aston Martin, Ferrari etc turn heads, but...

Last edited:
Back