Is the NSX actually a daily driver?

I just replaced my BMW 325is with a 91 NSX as my daily driver. It will also see track time on Summit Point, BeaveRun and VIR, possibly even Mid-Ohio this year.

ffffanman said:
Ryan
Just buy one already!!!
Thats me blasting pass you on your way to work every morning in mine.
I left it in the garage yesterday morn because of the ice pellets that came down, but it was out last nite to go get groceries at the Italian Centre and out to dance lessons. Its here at work with me now. I drive mine everyday that I can, because tomorrow, I might not be here.
So, just do it!
Trev in Edmonton, your town.

Fine. Dammit!

Talon's up for sale March 1. Snow or not, I'm buying an NSX.

Best move you will ever make:wink:

I've been driving mine everyday since I bought it in August of last year. Of course, living in Seattle it just rains a lot in the winter. The traction control is fantastic and keeps the car where it needs to be!

I plan on buying a Subaru this summer/fall to drive next winter....just to keep the miles off my baby.

Hell Yea! I've been driving mine everyday since I bought it last year n put some miles in to my baby 33k and I have supercharger giving over 380rwhp
Yay....

Happy to be one of the NSX owner!

I've been driving my 91 for almost 2 years now as my DD. The car is great, but it does have costs to consider. I spent about 3k last year in maint. costs. Some of that was optional, meaning I didn't "have" to get it. I'd prolly say 1k of it could have been avoided. Expect at least 1k - 2k a year in maint. on an older high mileage car. For me this cost includes tires/oil/ etc.

95EagleAWD said:
I like impractical cars. Saves me from being a chauffeur for my friends. :tongue:

I'm right there with you. All of my cars are two seaters. There was a time when I had 5 two-seater vehicles. :D

95EagleAWD said:
My question is this: Is the NSX actually reliable enough to drive every single day: to work, to a restaurant, out with a friend for the weekend to do some hiking in the mountains and then back for dinner.

I'm not looking for practicality... I already own a small car and have no use for a bigger one. But I'm concerned about the reliability of a 15 year old car that I'm going to be spending around 30K-35K on. In the back of my mind, I'm convinced that it's a Honda, and it'll hold up.

Any thoughts from the people here where the NSX is your only car?!

Yes it is. As you may have seen, I drive my '94 NSX in all types of weather, Blizzards included. The car is just as reliable as any other Honda/Acura car as long as you maintain it. Now....re-read that, because it is important. Lots of people say 'oh yeah...sure...I will maintain it,' then sluff off when they find out it is a bit more expensive to maintain an NSX in terms of valve adjustments and other items of service. I have two NSX's with over 100,000 miles and they are fine. If you have any questions, just let me know and I would be happy to help.

I can be a DD no problem. Dont add a front spoiler if you drive it daily tho. I find myself scraping my WW front quite often. I would drive my car everyday if there is no traffic jam in Los Angeles.. Yeah Right... LOL. Seriously it would be my DD if there is open road everyday.. so I dont feel like I would blow my clutch.

It's been my daily driver for five years now. Things changed to the car have been T-belt, few rubber hoses, new shocks just enough for it to drive on. 91 with 90K plus mile on it. Don't worry about driving it fast once in a while it won't break.:smile:

so, it's established it can serve daily driver duty.

Now I pose the question... because I'll be in his shoes possibly in a couple years...

should he buy a high mileage NSX (90,000miles+) and just keep adding miles and maintaining it... or buy a lower mileage NSX so there's room for miles to be added?

just not sure how to think about it. Cuz you could potentially end up with 150,000 miles quickly.

Low vs. high miles? It depends on how long he keeps cars and how many miles he wants to put on the car before he sells it. I certainly noticed the required maintenance increasing after 150K miles. I hope to sell around 180K. I just don't want to risk loosing a motor. The good news is, that as maintenance costs go up, depreciation goes down so the car doesn't cost that much more to own year over year.

One of the most significant factors to the unprecedented NSX resale as well as controversial original price is its reliability. You get what you pay for. The time and stress that reliable cars relieve you of is very valuable in the "supercar" class of cars.

I have 130k and still climbing

rickysals said:
so, it's established it can serve daily driver duty.

Now I pose the question... because I'll be in his shoes possibly in a couple years...

should he buy a high mileage NSX (90,000miles+) and just keep adding miles and maintaining it... or buy a lower mileage NSX so there's room for miles to be added?

just not sure how to think about it. Cuz you could potentially end up with 150,000 miles quickly.

i would buy the lowest mileage vehicle that i could afford if i were searching for a used NSX. of course you'd also have to consider maintenance records and cosmetic condition and such. also remember to look for orange peel in the paint. the NSX does not have orange peel.

to end up with 150k you would have to drive a lot. mines a DD and i put about 10k a year on it, and i drive a lot.

so if was to start with 90k on the odometer, it'll take me about 6 years to accumulate 150k, and at that point in time, i think i would have saved up enough some extra fun money and be ready for a new car. ferrari or lambo maybe?

mine just barely hit 50k, so i have a lot of years ahead.

GOOD LUCK!

I think if my 91 Legend can hold up under 100 degree weather and some small sort of abuse, I am SURE the NSX can. Does the NSX not have a Cd Changer? the 91-95's I mean, if they dont thats kind of lame-o. Im still a Nsx noob. So did the legend have more technology/gadgets than the NSX in the ninties?

95EagleAWD said:
I like impractical cars. Saves me from being a chauffeur for my friends. :tongue:

LoL, thats why you have a DSM car now isnt it?.....So how many engines ya go through?:biggrin:

jp

Anything from honda co. is reliable

DrVolkl said:
I plan on buying a Subaru this summer/fall to drive next winter....just to keep the miles off my baby.

I'm looking to do the opposite...sell off two of the WRX's and keep one for winter duties...By summer it'd be nice to have an NSX for a new (to me) DD.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying this community, and look forward to learning more as I seek my NSX:)

Back