Is the NSX a cop magnet?

I got to thinking about this today while driving to work, but are NSX's cop magnets?

I know they get a lot of attention from the public at large, but has any found they get pulled over more/more attention from the police because of how the car looks? Obviously any fast car will have the cops on alert but is the NSX any more so than other cars?

Thanks!

It has everything to do with how you choose to drive where and when. I get more tickets driving large numbers of people in slow cars (because I'm conversing with my passengers rather than watching like a hawk for cops) than I do in my NSX.

Loud exhaust does not help. I just have a CT Gen 1 but I have had a cop pull me over and accuse me of speeding just because I did a double clutch downshift to redline/VTEC to impress a passenger (all while staying under the posted speed limit). No ticket though since he did not get me on radar.

If I were a cop it's the subversive bastards in the fast German sedans I would look out for the most. Most owners of super-exotics (Ferrari/McLaren/etc) that I have met are a lot smarter about where and when they choose to drive aggressively, but those BMW guys just have the "need for speed" mentality and drive like assholes everywhere.

Cop Magnet? What would u do if ur a LEO and looked over ur shoulder to see.....

171581_1648548411930_1627815_o.jpg

I have got my nsx july 17 i think of this year ... One ticket for not having a liscense plate while i explained to him i ordered it and its coming proved with email and prooof of purchase still give me a ticket went to court won didnt pay second encounter was ... How can an immigrant afford such luxurious car ... And then third was saying car is to low lol i didnt do a thing to it so in canada def cop magnet unless you in vancouver or TO

image.jpg

Here is my encounter. Followed me for about 3kms finally pulled me over and the first words out of his mouth were "beautiful NSX" followed by "take off your tinted plate cover" followed by I don't have time to talk to you about your missing front plate". Have a great day!

It all depends on where you are. In So Cal it is not in my experience. Cops don't even bat an eye at it as they seem more interested in low end cars with coffee can mufflers.

3 years so far and have had no issues here in YYC, even with a louder exhaust

I have got my nsx july 17 i think of this year ... One ticket for not having a liscense plate while i explained to him i ordered it and its coming proved with email and prooof of purchase still give me a ticket went to court won didnt pay second encounter was ... How can an immigrant afford such luxurious car ... And then third was saying car is to low lol i didnt do a thing to it so in canada def cop magnet unless you in vancouver or TO

They were doing random stop checks for registration/insurance papers and I knew they were gonna stop me. After checking my docs, the officer asked me how fast is my car? I said not that fast...it's a 20 year old car. He smiled and said "I bet it's still pretty fast" and sent me on my way. Now if I were driving my CRV, I'd say there'd be less of a chance I would've been stopped.

Having an Imola with dark tints I think it's safe to say cops like the car in NYC area. Was never even stopped ;) So far the car has nothing but given good relations with cops , just look at the pictures above from dan at "NSXPO after dark"lol. They let us have fun .

Personally, I think it has more to do with the color than the car. Drove ticket free for 25 years .. then bought a bright red car and within 3 years, I had racked up 3 speeding tickets. Bought the NSX (black) and haven't had a ticket in it .. although I've been stopped twice by guys who just wanted to have a closer look at the car. So .. same city .. same trip patterns .. same driving style .. can you spot the difference .. I can and I'll never buy another red car.

Having an Imola with dark tints I think it's safe to say cops like the car in NYC area. Was never even stopped ;) So far the car has nothing but given good relations with cops , just look at the pictures above from dan at "NSXPO after dark"lol. They let us have fun .

They have biker gangs to contend too.... and undercover cops that are festive..

I drove across country with only a vanity dealer plate on it, never got stopped once. I was a little surprised with that one though.

It's a magnet to the civic, prelude, and integra guys.

It all depends on where you are. In So Cal it is not in my experience. Cops don't even bat an eye at it as they seem more interested in low end cars with coffee can mufflers.

Yep, and to the other none car enthusiasts, a quick glance and they all assume it's a vette.:biggrin:

Nice rolling picture Batmans:eek:

Last edited:
I will chime in that there are many factors to attracting the wrong kind of attention. Sound (advertising), the car (ricer/poser or real), color and speed, all contribute.

So let me see if I have this right? Test pipes, stock looking NSX, Spa Yellow Pearl with twin turbos......

Yep, Cop Magnet!

Personally, I think it has more to do with the color than the car. Drove ticket free for 25 years .. then bought a bright red car and within 3 years, I had racked up 3 speeding tickets. Bought the NSX (black) and haven't had a ticket in it .. although I've been stopped twice by guys who just wanted to have a closer look at the car. So .. same city .. same trip patterns .. same driving style .. can you spot the difference .. I can and I'll never buy another red car.

Well Ian, you know I have a red car and have yet to be stopped in the 3 years that I have owned it. There's a time to be agressive and a time to lay low, so to speak and yes a little luck. I have had the boys give me a thumbs up, but have never pulled me over to chat.

Joe

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Have had my /94 Formula Red 4 years now here in Michigan. Haven't had any police interaction. However, I tend to go with the flow of traffic and am very judicious when I do otherwise but as Joe says, a bit of luck plays into this. In fact, I haven't had a speeding ticket in 25 years other than the one I got 2 years ago in my wife's...................Volvo!

Back