Is the 97' w/ 3,2 just as fast as 2002+ w/ 3,2? Some NA2 questions!

Hi

I was thinking about short gears or 6-speed conversion, I/H/E+++ to make my car as fast as NA2 NSX's, but I don't think there are any NA2's in Norway yet (correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be "cool" to have a real NA2 :)

I raced a friends E46 M3 the other day and he seemed to have a little extra power almost all the time. So I also want the NSX to keep up or even be faster than his car.

Supercharger is not a option, I want the engine to live as long as the Honda engineers wanted it to :biggrin:

I'm assuming that a 97' in Europe will be hard to find, how are the prices for a 97' NA2 (black or silver, if it matters on the price) in USA?
I want a coupe, I'm a shy person so I never would have taken of a targa roof anyway :tongue:

Regards

Adeel

Edit: And no need for short gears on the 6 speed gearbox right?

|Adeel said:
Hi

I was thinking about short gears or 6-speed conversion, I/H/E+++ to make my car as fast as NA2 NSX's, but I don't think there are any NA2's in Norway yet (correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be "cool" to have a real NA2 :)

I raced a friends E46 M3 the other day and he seemed to have a little extra power almost all the time. So I also want the NSX to keep up or even be faster than his car.

Supercharger is not a option, I want the engine to live as long as the Honda engineers wanted it to :biggrin:

I'm assuming that a 97' in Europe will be hard to find, how are the prices for a 97' NA2 (black or silver, if it matters on the price) in USA?
I want a coupe, I'm a shy person so I never would have taken of a targa roof anyway :tongue:

Regards

Adeel

Edit: And no need for short gears on the 6 speed gearbox right?

I guess it all comes down to budget. Procar has a NA2 Type R motor for sale, if the budget fits, why not go for it.

The short gears set will make your car go faster, just like the NA2 6 speed.

02 spec is a little faster than the 97-02, not because it is more powerful, but better aero. Not by much, I remember auto press mentioned the car will arrived at 100mph .2 seconds faster. I can't really say much about it because my car was dyno at 295 hp, so I have a cherry motor.

|Adeel said:
I had E46 M3. Assuming you are talking about straightline performance, you will need all basic weight reduction + at least exhaust/intake. You will then have virtually same power/weight ratio as E46 M3.

The NA2 6spd is very good, the gearing is already short. Around this time last year we did a 0~115mph test NA1 vs NA2 02+. At the time my car had 270rwhp and approximately 100lbs of weight reduction, I still couldn't out 0~60mph against 02+ NA2 with just an exhaust (half car length), however I did walk away from 60mph~115mph. That is with 4 NSX owers follwing behind as witnesses.

Some NA2 motors are significantly stronger than others though, dyno and my real world experiments confirmed it. Every NSX motor is built by hand, port and polished, the specifications are not always going to be the exactly same on every motor. Then there is lottery theory of factory installing left over type-r motors onto selected regular NSXes.

Vancehu said:
I guess it all comes down to budget. Procar has a NA2 Type R motor for sale, if the budget fits, why not go for it.

The short gears set will make your car go faster, just like the NA2 6 speed.

02 spec is a little faster than the 97-02, not because it is more powerful, but better aero. Not by much, I remember auto press mentioned the car will arrived at 100mph .2 seconds faster. I can't really say much about it because my car was dyno at 295 hp, so I have a cherry motor.

Thanks for the info.

nsxsupra said:
I had E46 M3. Assuming you are talking about straightline performance, you will need all basic weight reduction + at least exhaust/intake. You will then have virtually same power/weight ratio as E46 M3.

The NA2 6spd is very good, the gearing is already short. Around this time last year we did a 0~115mph test NA1 vs NA2 02+. At the time my car had 270rwhp and approximately 100lbs of weight reduction, I still couldn't out 0~60mph against 02+ NA2 with just an exhaust (half car length), however I did walk away from 60mph~115mph. That is with 4 NSX owers follwing behind as witnesses.

Some NA2 motors are significantly stronger than others though, dyno and my real world experiments confirmed it. Every NSX motor is built by hand, port and polished, the specifications are not always going to be the exactly same on every motor. Then there is lottery theory of factory installing left over type-r motors onto selected regular NSXes.

Interesting information, thank you.

-----

What are 97' coupe prices in USA? Approx?

|Adeel said:

Hi there,

There are some NA2's for sale in Germany, you can look them up at www.mobile.de. But I don't think in it necessary.

What kind of NSX do you have now ??

Maybe the first thing you should do it get the car dynoed and also, fill her up and put her on a scale so you know what she weighs now.
My own car in driving condition & with full tank was 1400 kg. (I did make a Excel-sheet to keep track of the weight of all parts that I removed or added.) She's almost ready and I will put her on a scale then, she should have lost around 50 kg by then.

I think with basic mods like IHE you will be equal to the M3 again. The M3 is rated to have 343 but it is a much heavier car also, so the difference in kg/hp is not that great.

The short gears are nice if you are not going to drive to fast. Their advantage is only in 0-90 mph or something like that. Above that, the original gears seem to have the advantage.

The 02+ are not actually faster than the 97-01 cars in 0-60 or 0-100. No significant weight difference, and the aero would not likley come into play in a 0-100 situation (as the differences between a 97-01 and 02+ are not that great, and would only really show up at higher speeds). I mean, the fastest road test on a 0-60 was 4.5 seconds and it was a 97-01.:tongue:

I have a 1991 today. I want to spend some money on the one I got know, but I really want the 3,2 l. engine because it has a little more power and noone else have it here, plus I want 6-gear upgrade anyway and 1997 already has it...

So, anyone got a pricequote for a good condition 1997 NSX NA2?

---

Yes I visit mobile.de often, but just want to check how pricelevels on Acura NSX's from USA are against pricelevels on Honda NSX's from Europe. Btw, I don't like the fog lights on the european one and I don't like the american one because of the Acura badges :p

|Adeel said:
I have a 1991 today. I want to spend some money on the one I got know, but I really want the 3,2 l. engine because it has a little more power and noone else have it here, plus I want 6-gear upgrade anyway and 1997 already has it...

So, anyone got a pricequote for a good condition 1997 NSX NA2?

---

Yes I visit mobile.de often, but just want to check how pricelevels on Acura NSX's from USA are against pricelevels on Honda NSX's from Europe. Btw, I don't like the fog lights on the european one and I don't like the american one because of the Acura badges :p

Get the newest one you can. Honda is notorious for making tweaks here and there, that aren't even disclosed as official changes. Best year to own for any car, performance wise, is the last year of production.

Ski_Banker said:
Get the newest one you can. Honda is notorious for making tweaks here and there, that aren't even disclosed as official changes. Best year to own for any car, performance wise, is the last year of production.

That is probably true, then again, the 97+ have the upgrades I want, so I will be comfortable with that :)

Not necessarily true, emission changes often degrade a car's performance as time goes on. Any transition from ob1 to ob2 usually degrades performance, or at least it's potential in some manner.

sahtt said:
Not necessarily true, emission changes often degrade a car's performance as time goes on. Any transition from ob1 to ob2 usually degrades performance, or at least it's potential in some manner.

Might have a point there, as far as speed performance.

nsxsupra said:

Something that crossed my mind right now, this is possible on NA2's before 2002+ facelift? Did it happen that a 1997-2001 got one of these extra strong engines?

Sure, It happens with most every production car, motorcycle, boat, etc. There will always be some variance in output of motors made in this enviornment, and I am sure there a 91's with 5 or 10 more HP than other 91's out there as well that are stock with similar mileage, service histories, etc.

Back