Is it worth going from a 2000 to a 2002?

The new body style’s been really growing on me lately. I put my 2000 up for sale in search of getting an 02+. Also, I really like the Long beach blue and the Spa Yellow color and thought one of those could be a fun change.

Then I started thinking about it and having second thoughts. It would probably be at least $7-10k to do this transaction, and I’m not sure if it’s really worth doing for pretty much the same car. I’ve been going back and forth for awhile on whether I should do this, and I can’t make up my mind…

So, which one do you think looks nicer and more unique compared to other cars?

Also, do you think it’s really worth $10k to make the move?

Attachments

• nsxfrontblue.jpg
    nsxfrontblue.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 190
  • nsxfront1halfsize.jpg
    nsxfront1halfsize.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 184
I also have a 2000... my advice - add the 02 rear valence and a CTSC. The 2000 & 2002+ are the same on the interior and drive exactly the same so the driving experience is going to be the same for $10k. Now for that same $10k keep your 2000 & add the CTSC and the driving experience will be different.

I love the 02 look and it has better color options too!! I honestly think its worth the price because 15 years from now people will still be amazed how updated it looks. People think my 92 is a brand new car because of the condition. I heard that the 03 might have a stronger motor but I'm not sure. Just take a look at Vance's engine, that thing is a beast for NA. I cant wait to upgrade to an 03 LLB NSX in 2 years!! I say go for the 02 if you like the look!!

Talk to NSX1, he did that. He will tell you first hand if it is a worthwhile experience.

AndyNSX said:
Also, I really like the Long beach blue and the Spa Yellow color and thought one of those could be a fun change.
If you think it is because of the color, personally the LLB and the SPA/RIO Yellow had also grown on me recently, I think it is going to be worth every penny of your $10k. And plus the $10k investment is likely to give you a better resale value, if you ever need to sell it.

So I don't see it as just an investment with no return, whereas 'adding FI or doing bodywork for 1/2 the price' investment could not really help the resale value afterall, so not really an investment, just personal pleasure. It all depends on your view.

Before my widebody mod, I had my NSX for about 6 yrs or so. The 91' look started to look old to me. Like you, the 02' look started to grow on me. Anywho, I got to the point where I was going to sell my NSX if I didn't change the look of it. After months of procrastinating, I began my mod. Now I feel like I have a fresh new look, which is something I was looking for. I hope this helps :biggrin:

blackna1 said:
And plus the $10k investment is likely to give you a better resale value, if you ever need to sell it.

That's a good point, I wasn't really thinking about that until now. If I bought an '02 and decided in a few years to get something else, I'd probably at least get about $5k more for it than the '00.

CL65 Captain said:
I also have a 2000... my advice - add the 02 rear valence and a CTSC. The 2000 & 2002+ are the same on the interior and drive exactly the same so the driving experience is going to be the same for $10k. Now for that same $10k keep your 2000 & add the CTSC and the driving experience will be different.

This would be my vote. :smile:

Vancehu said:
Talk to NSX1, he did that. He will tell you first hand if it is a worthwhile experience.
I did a lot of searching and had a bit of luck... bought my 2002 for the same price that I sold my 2000. (Then I paid the $4500 California sales tax. :eek: ) Both cars were in excellent condition.

Besides the obvious exterior differences, there are other differences about the cars. The interior between the two cars "appears" to be exactly the same, but there are very subtle differences... deleted pop-up headlight button, OBD2 connector relocated to driver side, remote entry receiver mounting, etc. Under the bonnet there are slight differences like the battery tray and support shelf.

The 2002 went through a mid-year change as well. I have #152 and it has some 2003 parts like the rear sway bar.

comtec said:
I say buy a 2002 Long Beach Blue Pearl. But you can't listen to me because that's what i just did. :biggrin:

I saw your thread, and that is actually starting to push me over to just do it. The '02 LBB looks so beautiful and aggressive at the same time.

AndyNSX said:
I saw your thread, and that is actually starting to push me over to just do it. The '02 LBB looks so beautiful and aggressive at the same time.
When I started looking a few months ago i liked the pre-2002 cars better. The more i looked at the 2002+ cars the more i liked them. They just look more modern and i figured that most of the difference in price would still be there if i ever decided to sale. The Long Beach Blue Pearl is exactly like people say, a picture doesn't do it justice. It's beautiful in person, look at one before you decide.

nsx1 said:
I did a lot of searching and had a bit of luck... bought my 2002 for the same price that I sold my 2000. (Then I paid the $4500 California sales tax. :eek: ) Both cars were in excellent condition.

Smart thinking, miles were the same on both cars? Ive found alot of people dont like the 02+ look, id much rather have it but its too late now and Im happy. Which did/do you like better?

AndyNSX said:
do you think it’s really worth $10k to make the move?
"Yes" and "No" depending on how much you want the look. Like CL65captain mentioned, you can also use the $10k towards other items. You should make the decision that will give you the greatest happiness.

DO NOT do the conversion on your 2000 NSX no matter what others said, in your case it is cheaper to trade it in.

The conversion cost more than $10k to do it right, half the price is not even enough to cover the cost of parts lol. Been there done that.

Headlights $1650
Side Skirts $1800
Front Bumper $1666
Rear Valence $700
Tail Lights $700
OEM hood $1100
HID $350~$700
Deck lid spoiler $400
Misc bits and pieces to make everything work.$$$
Labor for installation and paint, $2k~$4k depending on quality.

Even if you use all replica parts, it will still come out more than $10k not to mention large amount of trouble, downtime. With 02+ you get a newer car and it came like that from factory. I am not a big fan of altering the body, but I absolutely had to have white coupe with 02 look. If I could do it over again and assuming cost is no objective. I would do whatever it takes to get one of the ultra mega rare white NA2 coupe and do the conversion, if they even exist. Apparently there are none from 97~98, not sure how many white one availabe from 99~01.

AndyNSX said:
So, which one do you think looks nicer and more unique compared to other cars?
As far as look goes, NSX is NSX, both looks great, some prefer pre-02, some prefer 02+. If I have my way, I like one of each. The 02+ get far more look without a doubt, real life experience.:tongue:

blackna1 said:
whereas 'adding FI or doing bodywork for 1/2 the price' investment could not really help the resale value afterall.
In some cases yes, some cases no. It all depend demand for that particular part and quality. If you buy quality parts, chances are they will be higher demand whenever you sell.

Someone paid $55k for a clean white 92 NA2-R look alike conversion with no FI. I think it is money well spent, consider the cost and trouble to to build one like that. I would be all over it, if I am in the market for one.

We all know how fast the high demand quality parts go in the market place. There are a lot of items sell near 100% purchase price. I have been shut out plenty of times, always a moment too late.

For example high quality wheels, rare exhaust, used CTSC, used 02+ body parts, rare items, etc. You rarely see them available, whenever these are available they almost go for near the price of new 75~100% and sold within a week, assuming original owner didn't pay retail.

The Kid said:
Smart thinking, miles were the same on both cars? Ive found alot of people dont like the 02+ look, id much rather have it but its too late now and Im happy. Which did/do you like better?

Yes, mileage was the same on both cars. I prefer the '02+ look... that's why I upgraded. (Notice I used the word "upgraded" :biggrin: )

Let me put things in perspective, because most NSX owners do not have a good perspective when it comes to this... for the most part most guys on this forum are spoiled by the high resale value of the NSX, and their advice often comes based on this... which is fine, but its still from a different perspective.

For you to change a high line car to the next model up which has also had a body change from the factory, in something like a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or something similar, you'd be looking at a hell of a lot more than 8-10K. The fact that you can do this on an NSX is because your 2000 is holding its value tight. Come resale time, at least 1/2 of what you spend now on the 2002 will still be held in the car.

This decision would be something entirely different if you were looking at a used Aston Martin for example. 8-10K is cheap my friend... dirt cheap... and with the NSX being what it is, I would say a decent investment as much as these things can be investments.

Back