Is it safe to wash the engine ?

I'd like to cleanup the engine room and would like to know if it is safe to wash using mild pressured washer ? Any problems it might do ?

Best way to clean the engine is as follows:

Buy a can of foaming tire shine. Make sure engine is cold. Spray the shit everywhere in engine bay. When foam dissolves use low pressure water to rinse off. Let dry. Admire your showroom fresh looking engine bay.

If anyone tells you otherwise, ignore them. (Like the guy from California below me :) )

It is safe to wash the engine. I used engine bright. Cover the fuse boxes w/ a rag or saran wrap. Of course, don't use a ton of water/engine bright on the electrical wires/harnesses. Protect the paint with towels and was the entire car after washing the engine. Pat the main parts of the engine dry with towels. Start the car immediately after washing and run it for about 10 minutes...even go for a short drive. You can spray the rubber/plastic components liberally w/ low gloss or regular Armor All AFTER it cools then go for another drive for 20 minutes. It will stink for the next few drives but man will everything look new again.

Jeff

I wonder if DAWN in a spray bottle mixed with water would work, supposed to take grease out of the way......maybe i'll try it, unless someone else already has.

I would never advise anyone to pressure wash their car. Many people saying they do it without problems means little to me, I've spent hours diagnosing issues caused by people powerwashing older sports cars.

Yes Acura power washes cars regularly. Yes 95% of the time it's harmless. But those few cases in which water messes with your electronics makes it not worth the risk IMO.

Many people will say it's harmless but when your car won't idle and your throttle response goes in to the gutter, see if they fly out to help you. I just detail it by hand with simple green, not that difficult.

Thanks for the input... A friend of mine was actually using a high pressure washer with the engine on and shortly after the wash, he takes the car for a spin... But then again, it's not a NSX...

Like the other post above, cover all electrical components especially the coil packs and make sure your spark plug cables are seated properly

I use Simple Green to cover the engine and an unused paint brush to get into the difficult areas. Then a gentle flow of water to remove the Simple Green. Next, I coat the area with a tire cleaner, take it for a drive for at least 5 minutes. Done. Completely detailed.

I'd like to cleanup the engine room and would like to know if it is safe to wash using mild pressured washer ? Any problems it might do ?

Yes, it is safe if everything is seated properly. I have washed the engine bay of my NSX almost every time I wash the car. With almost 14 years of NSX driving and ownership under my belt, everything has been fine.

Buy a can of foaming tire shine. Make sure engine is cold. Spray the shit everywhere in engine bay.

Next, I coat the area with a tire cleaner, take it for a drive for at least 5 minutes.

What's with the tire cleaner? My experience with tire shine products on anything but tires (i.e. getting on wheels) leads me to conclude it's a dirt magnet...so it's one of the last things I'd consider spraying in my engine compartment.

What's with the tire cleaner? My experience with tire shine products on anything but tires (i.e. getting on wheels) leads me to conclude it's a dirt magnet...so it's one of the last things I'd consider spraying in my engine compartment.

It works.:biggrin:

Andrie told me to take some Simple Green and then just spray the crap out of the engine then rinse with a hose. Let it dry for a few hours. Done it many times and never had a problem with my NSX.

I did it on my Sentra and had to buy a new distributor coil. :)

I use Simple Green to cover the engine and an unused paint brush to get into the difficult areas. Then a gentle flow of water to remove the Simple Green. Next, I coat the area with a tire cleaner, take it for a drive for at least 5 minutes. Done. Completely detailed.

Amen, been doing it like the post above for decades, and on several brands without issue.

I wonder if DAWN in a spray bottle mixed with water would work, supposed to take grease out of the way......maybe i'll try it, unless someone else already has.

DAWN will strip ALL wax off of any paint it comes in contact with, so take that as you will.

Best way to clean the engine is as follows:

Buy a can of foaming tire shine. Make sure engine is cold. Spray the shit everywhere in engine bay. When foam dissolves use low pressure water to rinse off. Let dry. Admire your showroom fresh looking engine bay.

If anyone tells you otherwise, ignore them. (Like the guy from California below me :) )

I just tried Hugh's method and it worked great! Thanks for the tip Hugh

I just tried Hugh's method and it worked great! Thanks for the tip Hugh

Thanks Hugh & Ashman.. I'll try this one today... :)

Yes, it is safe if everything is seated properly. I have washed the engine bay of my NSX almost every time I wash the car. With almost 14 years of NSX driving and ownership under my belt, everything has been fine.

I agree and I feel just same like you :) .
No problems ever been on my cars after engine bay cleanings!

The problem that I have is my CTSC. I am afraid of getting the belt wet. So, I cant take a hose to it. Can I?

I would like to try Hugh's method, but I am afraid of getting the CTSC belt wet.

Nathan

The problem that I have is my CTSC. I am afraid of getting the belt wet. So, I cant take a hose to it. Can I?

I would like to try Hugh's method, but I am afraid of getting the CTSC belt wet.

Nathan

Hello Nathan,

I was in the same situation with my sc S2000.
When I clean it, belt of course was wet. I clean my engine bay carefully and there was never problem with it.

So that is in my comptech sc S2000 experience.
I believe you should be ok.

Cover the alternator and the cylinder heads (spark plugs) and you'll be fine.

I just tried Hugh's way of detailing the engine the other night....looks amazing! The tire shine that I had wasn't the foaming type, but I just coated the hell out of everything...let it sit for 10-15 minutes...then lightly rinsed it off with my garden hose....and let it air dry....I am going to do this on my other cars now.:biggrin:

Back