Is chevron really better?

Greetings
All of the gasoline is the same. I used to work for an oil company (chemical engineer). I am familiar with all grades and types of gasoline -- we were still making leaded gasolines when I started -- my forte was automatic transmission fluid (another story). All the local filling stations purchase the same gasoline from the distribution centers. There is usually only 1 local refinery and the gasoline comes from there. The filling station owner or company adds there particular set of additives to the gasoline -- Chevron adds Techron. These are a combination of additives to clean the injectors, improve cold starting in the winter, etc. These additives are the only difference in the gasoline from the various stations. You can buy Octane booster and injector cleaner at you local auto parts store.
Martin

Greetings
All of the gasoline is the same. I used to work for an oil company (chemical engineer). I am familiar with all grades and types of gasoline -- we were still making leaded gasolines when I started -- my forte was automatic transmission fluid (another story). All the local filling stations purchase the same gasoline from the distribution centers. There is usually only 1 local refinery and the gasoline comes from there. The filling station owner or company adds there particular set of additives to the gasoline -- Chevron adds Techron. These are a combination of additives to clean the injectors, improve cold starting in the winter, etc. These additives are the only difference in the gasoline from the various stations. You can buy Octane booster and injector cleaner at you local auto parts store.
Martin

This is what I was told a long time ago by someone I knew who ran operations at a refinery. She told me that the ARCO, Chevron, etc trucks all got the same gas from her. In fact, the brands would sometimes sell gas to each other if they had available fuel and the refinery was backlogged.

She also told me what you said. If there is any difference in the gasoline, it happens at the stations.

So why a difference in price? Marketing and Advertising costs.

Back