Is a 69k mile car high mileage or no???

Hey Guys,

I'm still in the process of finding the "right" NSX. So as prices continue to boggle the mind in that there seems to be no ryme or reason as to why similar cars are higher than others and there is no real good answer to that I realize so it many times comes down to mileage.

So the question is this - what is high mileage? Is 60k miles on an 01 considered high. Are there good reasons to buy one with less miles? If one buys an NSX with say 60k miles would he expect more maintenance as a direct result.

Questions concerning clutch life come to mind. I've seen some pretty peculiar things out there as in 02s with 45k miles having had not only a clutch but a flywheel replaced? Is that typical to have to replace a flywheel when replacing a clutch??? That seems a bit drastic and makes one wonder how the car was driven. I've seen others with low mileage having had not only the clutch but also the master/slave cylinders replaced? That also seems like short life for slave and master cylinders - is that normal??? How long do engines go without say top end work? Like valve guides, or other top end related stuff. How bout the bottom end? I would guess not knowing Honda but thru their other cars and mileages I've heard could go over 300k without major engine work? Is that a fantasy in the NSX?

The particular one I'm looking at, well there are two, one a 98 and the other a 2001 and both right at 40k asking - again that boggles the mind. Neither one has had a clutch or a TB/WP replacement. I know how fanatical you guys are about the need for replacing the timing belt (TB) and water pump (WP) and surely a 98 with 64k would seem to need it based on time, but then how about a 2001 - no TB/WP and no clutch.

Should one expect to have to do a clutch at around 60k? How bout the master/slave/flywheel? The TB/WP some say, i.e. those that are trying to sell, that the TB/WP thing is overstressed in terms of a 2001 needing that due to time. The 98 with 64k, well, I'd say that one definitely needs it and it should be factored in.

What other things would one normally expect to wear out within close proximity to 60k? Would you guys replace a clutch for example unless it needs it but what is a normal life span for them? Do you find that it is also necessary to replace a master/slave cylinder at around that mileage; coming from Porsches this seems a bit early for that replacement as well as a flywheel?

However, I am looking at 3 really a 02 with the TB/WP already done at 39k - nice and other things as well as a Dc header and cold air intake tube for asking price of 44k again another mind boggleing price difference.

So what would you guys suggest and how would you look at the clutch/master/slave/flywheel as a need arising soon?

Thanks,
Tim
Atlanta

Last edited:
TB is a mileage/year thing. So, if it's been x amount of years, you just do it.

69k is not high mileage at all. I'm not even sure if 200k is high mileage on these cars.

Clutches can last that long or longer depending on user.

I would say if it's still on its original clutch at 69k, you're probably going to be doing it soon... but I wouldn't anticipate any other maint.

TB/water pump needs to be done on a schedule. You can find out how often by searching, etc.

My '91 that I bought in 2005 with 65k miles on it had the clutch, TB/water pump done. That's all I did for "regular maint" (besides changing the oil)... mods on the other hand....

My 2003 has 30k miles on it...and I'll be doing the TB this winter most likely. (I think it's every 6 years/60 or 90k miles, I can't remember)

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm still in the process of finding the "right" NSX. So as prices continue to boggle the mind in that there seems to be no ryme or reason as to why similar cars are higher than others and there is no real good answer to that I realize so it many times comes down to mileage.

So the question is this - what is high mileage? Is 60k miles on an 01 considered high. Are there good reasons to buy one with less miles? If one buys an NSX with say 60k miles would he expect more maintenance as a direct result.

Questions concerning clutch life come to mind. I've seen some pretty peculiar things out there as in 02s with 45k miles having had not only a clutch but a flywheel replaced? Is that typical to have to replace a flywheel when replacing a clutch??? That seems a bit drastic and makes one wonder how the car was driven. I've seen others with low mileage having had not only the clutch but also the master/slave cylinders replaced? That also seems like short life for slave and master cylinders - is that normal??? How long do engines go without say top end work? Like valve guides, or other top end related stuff. How bout the bottom end? I would guess not knowing Honda but thru their other cars and mileages I've heard could go over 300k without major engine work? Is that a fantasy in the NSX?

The particular one I'm looking at, well there are two, one a 98 and the other a 2001 and both right at 40k asking - again that boggles the mind. Neither one has had a clutch or a TB/WP replacement. I know how fanatical you guys are about the need for replacing the timing belt (TB) and water pump (WP) and surely a 98 with 64k would seem to need it based on time, but then how about a 2001 - no TB/WP and no clutch.

Should one expect to have to do a clutch at around 60k? How bout the master/slave/flywheel? The TB/WP some say, i.e. those that are trying to sell, that the TB/WP thing is overstressed in terms of a 2001 needing that due to time. The 98 with 64k, well, I'd say that one definitely needs it and it should be factored in.

What other things would one normally expect to wear out within close proximity to 60k? Would you guys replace a clutch for example unless it needs it but what is a normal life span for them? Do you find that it is also necessary to replace a master/slave cylinder at around that mileage; coming from Porsches this seems a bit early for that replacement as well as a flywheel?

However, I am looking at 3 really a 02 with the TB/WP already done at 39k - nice and other things as well as a Dc header and cold air intake tube for asking price of 44k again another mind boggleing price difference.

So what would you guys suggest and how would you look at the clutch/master/slave/flywheel as a need arising soon?

Thanks,
Tim
Atlanta

69K is not that high and should not reduce the price that much provided maintenace is up to date. However, you noted the 2002 for $44K and if I was ready to buy a NSX - that car seems like a deal. Low miles, no accidents, new body style. The wheels are not stock but don't look too bad to me. The car has been on the market too long for that price so I wonder what the deal is. Maybe you should find out???

The big difference is (not to sound sarcastic) is if people drive them or not.

Garage queens with 1-5k miles per year (like mine) or people that drive them.

Also consider climate. I get 5 months per year to drive mine. If I lived in the south Id have a lot more time.

TB is a mileage/year thing. So, if it's been x amount of years, you just do it.

69k is not high mileage at all. I'm not even sure if 200k is high mileage on these cars.

Clutches can last that long or longer depending on user.

I would say if it's still on its original clutch at 69k, you're probably going to be doing it soon... but I wouldn't anticipate any other maint.

TB/water pump needs to be done on a schedule. You can find out how often by searching, etc.

My '91 that I bought in 2005 with 65k miles on it had the clutch, TB/water pump done. That's all I did for "regular maint" (besides changing the oil)... mods on the other hand....

My 2003 has 30k miles on it...and I'll be doing the TB this winter most likely. (I think it's every 6 years/60 or 90k miles, I can't remember)

^ 2002+ is 7 years, before 2002 it was 6 years. And I agree, as long as regular maintenance is done, mileage shouldn't be an issue. I have around 55k miles and still feels and looks like a new car!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response so far, but no one has actually spoken to the master/slave/flywheel issue? Is that normal with the clutch at 60k miles not 68k.

Also I've heard of the 2 disk clutch and a single disk clutch and one is a heap less expensive. Is that ok. The 2 stage or 2 disk clutch is 1200 for the part and the single disk is less than half that; matter of fact I've heard that you can have the single disc installed for 600 or so?? Anyone know?

I am glad to hear a response to the 2002 as to how long its been for sale. Wonder what the deal is there?? I'm going to find out. Guys owned it for 4.5 years. The other two - the guy that has the 98 sounds like he knows how to search for these cars. The other guy with the 2001 sounds like he got pounded with unexpected expense and now says he just gets tickets and can't keep it under the speed limit. He's the one that had to replace the catalytic converters and fuel pump and 02 sensor for 3000 bucks - surprise. I believe he was one of those guys that thought he'd buy the car, drive it for a while and sell it and deffer all maintenance. Like the TB/WP. My understanding is that is a 7 year/105k mile deal whichever comes first. Now I can see maybe deffering that a bit if I had 30k miles and a 2001, but how long??? Not too long if you were going to keep it. I guess some, right or wrongly, think it's overhyped. Maybe, maybe not.

So give me some scoop on the clutch replacement cost and type and if any of you replace master/slave or flywheel???

I'm just trying to get a good idea of what awaits one in maintenance when they get to 60k miles or around that.

Thanks a bunch fellows,
Tim

It depends on what you mean when you ask if it is "high mileage". To me, those are above average mileages associated with NSXs, so I would consider it a "high mileage" car. However, Honda engineering for durability and reliability is second to none, and this car is the pinnacle of Honda engineering and therefore I would not be concerned about the mileage on the vehicle in terms of whether you'll get a lemon or something that will require constant infusions of money to repair problems.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response so far, but no one has actually spoken to the master/slave/flywheel issue? Is that normal with the clutch at 60k miles not 68k.

Also I've heard of the 2 disk clutch and a single disk clutch and one is a heap less expensive. Is that ok. The 2 stage or 2 disk clutch is 1200 for the part and the single disk is less than half that; matter of fact I've heard that you can have the single disc installed for 600 or so?? Anyone know?

I am glad to hear a response to the 2002 as to how long its been for sale. Wonder what the deal is there?? I'm going to find out. Guys owned it for 4.5 years. The other two - the guy that has the 98 sounds like he knows how to search for these cars. The other guy with the 2001 sounds like he got pounded with unexpected expense and now says he just gets tickets and can't keep it under the speed limit. He's the one that had to replace the catalytic converters and fuel pump and 02 sensor for 3000 bucks - surprise. I believe he was one of those guys that thought he'd buy the car, drive it for a while and sell it and deffer all maintenance. Like the TB/WP. My understanding is that is a 7 year/105k mile deal whichever comes first. Now I can see maybe deffering that a bit if I had 30k miles and a 2001, but how long??? Not too long if you were going to keep it. I guess some, right or wrongly, think it's overhyped. Maybe, maybe not.

So give me some scoop on the clutch replacement cost and type and if any of you replace master/slave or flywheel???

I'm just trying to get a good idea of what awaits one in maintenance when they get to 60k miles or around that.

Thanks a bunch fellows,
Tim
I'm fastidious when it comes to maintenance on all my cars. My 02 has 47,000 miles and yes it's a year early, but I just had my TB/WP, valve adjustment, and yes, the master and slave cylinders replaced by none other than Larry B, my clutch is original and working just fine. Larry tells me that this is totally normal for these cylinders to require replacement, if they leak fluid, he replaces them. This winter I'll probably have him do all the belts and hoses, just to be safe. I'm always tempted to get a new toy, when my daughter finishes law school maybe I will, but I still plan on keeping the NSX, which now is the car that I've owned the longest of any car. It's a keeper. Find the right one, have it checked out by a qualified person/establishment, and don't worry if it has 60,000 miles, the engine if properly serviced has just about broken in properly!!!

Hey Guys,

Thanks a bunch fellows,
Tim

The twin disc clutch only came on the 3.0 liter 5 speed NSX's. The clutch job on this vehicle will cost around $1700 installed. The single disc clutches came on the 3.2 liter 6 speed NSX's and they came with a dual mass flywheel. The reason why the flywheel is recommended to be replaced with the clutch is because supposedly are not resurfaceable. The clutch itself is not too expensive but its that dual mass flywheel that cost a lot of money. Science of Speed sells a single to twin disc conversion kit.

is that the red 02 that previously had the supercharger installed? I think someone had started a thread about it not too long ago

Hey guys,

Yep that's the same red one. I read that thread. I was given a heads up on the supercharger and saw his posts when it was installed about the hp and torque curves off the dyno test.

Some say no biggy, that these engines are tough, some say that this means that the car was probably hot dogged. It's hard to tell from adds and I'd have to quiz the owner and even then I'm not sure I'd really get it and I just can't afford to fly all over the country looking at cars that I may end up not buying. PPIs are great but it's hard for that to uncover any stress issues in an engine due to operation with so few miles. My first thought is - why after all that would the guy be selling the car? I can understand pulling off the mod for resale however, that makes sense, but who knows what's happening with the engine as a result. You can bet it's seen the redline a lot I'd think.

Now S14_tat mentioned a conversion from single to dual disc clutch, why would one want to do that? Do you know something about the expenses involved? What's your reasoning and is this something you've done? If so how'd that work out for you and what did it cost you to do that. Did you also go to a different flywheel that was in the first gen cars, and that seems like it would be difficult. I've heard of others like the guy with the red using a competition clutch - ummmm and that's another thing - did the red one get a lot of track use? If it did, then track time is measured in hours of operation - one more reason to be very careful about that. Could have over reved it and it may be a time bomb ticking away.

But my main question here is about this clutch conversion - thanks guys.

Ya'll are sure a lot of help! I greatly appreciate the support of this group.

Tim

For the year and being a NSX, I would say the mileage is a little high. BUT 69k isn't what I would consider high.

It's just that many NSX's like mine are not driven daily. It depends allot on where you live, etc.

I get mine out on weekends, week nights if the weather is nice, even in the winter if it is a nice day, etc.

I'm not sure about the clutch question. I can tell you that I purchased my 91 with 38,500 miles on it March 2008. It had the TB/WP replaced and the owner had just had the clutch replaced at approximately 37,800 miles on it.

He said the clutch went out and needed to replace it. I thought to myself, that seemed like it needed replacing much sooner than I would have thought. But the car is in very good condition. He worked at the local Honda dealership where the work was done. He kept it very well maintained and detailed., etc.

I didn't complain since it was all brand new and done at the dealership.

I'm not sure if you have heard back on why the car has been available for so long or not. It is possible because of the mileage. It's not like it has that many miles on it, but being a prospective buyer, if you are patient and wait I'm sure you can find one with much lower miles. Then again though, it may demand a higher price.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure you will find a beauty...

Hey guys,

Yep that's the same red one. I read that thread. I was given a heads up on the supercharger and saw his posts when it was installed about the hp and torque curves off the dyno test.

Some say no biggy, that these engines are tough, some say that this means that the car was probably hot dogged. It's hard to tell from adds and I'd have to quiz the owner and even then I'm not sure I'd really get it and I just can't afford to fly all over the country looking at cars that I may end up not buying. PPIs are great but it's hard for that to uncover any stress issues in an engine due to operation with so few miles. My first thought is - why after all that would the guy be selling the car? I can understand pulling off the mod for resale however, that makes sense, but who knows what's happening with the engine as a result. You can bet it's seen the redline a lot I'd think.

Now S14_tat mentioned a conversion from single to dual disc clutch, why would one want to do that? Do you know something about the expenses involved? What's your reasoning and is this something you've done? If so how'd that work out for you and what did it cost you to do that. Did you also go to a different flywheel that was in the first gen cars, and that seems like it would be difficult. I've heard of others like the guy with the red using a competition clutch - ummmm and that's another thing - did the red one get a lot of track use? If it did, then track time is measured in hours of operation - one more reason to be very careful about that. Could have over reved it and it may be a time bomb ticking away.

But my main question here is about this clutch conversion - thanks guys.

Ya'll are sure a lot of help! I greatly appreciate the support of this group.

Tim

I have not done this swap because because my nsx is a 94 so that means its a 5 speed with a 3.0 liter engine. The reasoning for this swap is to save you over $1000 for every clutch job later on. The dual mass flywheel used in the 6 speed transmissions are extremely expensive and is not recommended to be resurfaced. Also I believe the whole twin disc assembly is still lighter than the single disc with extra heavy flywheel. This should help the car rev better the reasoning for the change over from the twin disc to single disc clutch i believe is to dampen engine vibration. Was the engine ever a rough engine before that change over? I've never felt it being rough.

Find the right one, have it checked out by a qualified person/establishment, and don't worry if it has 60,000 miles, the engine if properly serviced has just about broken in properly!!!

I had a good chuckle when I saw this thread. According to Shigeru Uehara, the motor isn't considered broken-in until 70K miles.

C'mon Hugh, I put the above quote up on post #2, too much Iron Maiden for you!!!:eek:

Back