Is a 10 year old filter still good?

It probably is but why would you take a chance that it isn't and possibly lunch your engine over such a cheap part. Hold on to it as a keepsake but use it? I wouldn't. JMHO

+1 on simple cost of the filter. Also, filter technology today is probably better than 10 years ago......another reason to get a new one. Having said all this, I think the risk of a problem is pretty small and assuming you kept it in a cupboard versus out in the elements.

I would think that there has to be some 10 yo (or older)wrapped tall filters sitting in parts dept back shelves all dusty,and will certainly still be sold as new when called for:wink:

Why not? What can go bad with them? BTW I have oil filters for the next 10 years or so on the shelf. :D

Very good question. I stockpiled tall oil filters before they were discontinued and have enough to last me 10 years.

Wrapped in plastic? Go for it.

A 10 year old filter should be fine if it has been stored in a cool and dry place.

But, I always wondered about new, "old" timing belts? Are there any expiration dates to critical parts such as the timing belt? I can't imagine someone installing a 19 year old timing belt that was manufactured in 1991.

I can't see what could possibly go wrong with a part like an oil filter, provided it's stayed dry in storage. I usually trade in all my wives well before their 10-year expiration date. :wink:

But a 10-year old filter? Go ahead and use it.

Your 10 year old filters could have been 1 - 5 years old when you bought them. Filters are batch built. This is one is rare and who knows how long ago they were built.
That said they should be fine.

Only a true worry wort wouldn't use a new one in plastic even if it's 10 years old - I mean it should be fine - what could go wrong if it's stored in the right place?:rolleyes:

Back