IRL- Champ Car Merger

Hopefully now we can move forward with one united league! Will be interesting to see how well Paul Tracy plays with the IRL boys:eek:

From ESPN.com:

Officials from the Indy Racing League and Champ Car World Series struck a preliminary agreement Tuesday to fold elements of the Champ Car World Series into the IRL IndyCar Series.

An official announcement is expected Thursday. SPEEDtv.com first reported the agreement Tuesday afternoon.

The merger comes on the heels of almost two weeks of painstaking negotiations between the racing entities. Last week, after the sides were believed to be close to announcing a merger, Champ Car issued a statement claiming the talks had stalled.

At that time, sources at Champ Car and the IRL familiar with the negotiations revealed that the chief hang-up centered around the IndyCar Series race scheduled for April 19 at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan. The preference of the merged series is to honor Champ Car's contract to run the 34th annual Long Beach Grand Prix that weekend.

Interesting. Didn't the split from a few years back come from one organization to begin with? (CART) :confused: I wonder how long this one will hold together or if it will split again a few years down the road if the parties involved start bickering again. :cool:

Puke.

Well FTG will not get one cent from me. I will put it towards ALMS, Vintage racing, SCCA, NASA, and Rally America. Screw Tony George, and all of the losers who believe in his so-called vision. Why would anyone want to watch an anti-technology chassis and a NA low bhp engine run at shitty tracks that maim drivers (Kenny Brack for example) with the likes of Milka Duno, Sarah Fisher, Ed Carpenter, AJ Foyt Jr, etc. Turn Left, Turn Left, Turn Left, get punted into the wall on right by some shmuck no-talent grandson, son, nephew etc. Money won, the fans lost. I am sure peole will go, and it will do better than either series was on their own, but FTG set out to "fool" everyone with his real intentions (except us who "know the truth")

Screw him.

Lets see, what other club events can I sign up for with my money I saved for Road America's Champcar race THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN NOW!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

Interesting. Didn't the split from a few years back come from one organization to begin with? (CART) :confused: I wonder how long this one will hold together or if it will split again a few years down the road if the parties involved start bickering again. :cool:

Yes it did, sorta. This one will likely last because (hopefully) the open wheel community has learned that a civil war will destroy the sport. Tony George (aka FTG in many people's minds) is the commissioner / supremo, and unless he loses the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, he'll always run the show.

On the bright side, he did put Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske and Paul Gentilozzi in their place.

Miner

Puke.

Well FTG will not get one cent from me. I will put it towards ALMS, Vintage racing, SCCA, NASA, and Rally America. Screw Tony George, and all of the losers who believe in his so-called vision. Why would anyone want to watch an anti-technology chassis and a NA low bhp engine run at shitty tracks that maim drivers (Kenny Brack for example) with the likes of Milka Duno, Sarah Fisher, Ed Carpenter, AJ Foyt Jr, etc. Turn Left, Turn Left, Turn Left, get punted into the wall on right by some shmuck no-talent grandson, son, nephew etc. Money won, the fans lost. I am sure peole will go, and it will do better than either series was on their own, but FTG set out to "fool" everyone with his real intentions (except us who "know the truth")

Screw him.

Lets see, what other club events can I sign up for with my money I saved for Road America's Champcar race THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN NOW!!!!!!!!!

So tell us Tom how you really feel!:wink:
As a long time CART/Champ Car supporter myself, I too have been anti-IRL (FTG) since the split. But little by little as some of my favorite CART drivers/teams have migrated to the IRL, the wall that once stood so solidly in my mind has cracked a bit. Ultimately, I try to look at this merger from the for-the-betterment-of-the-sport perspective, not just about the man behind the league that succeeded and what his intentions are. Consider the combined driver talent that will now exist in one league. Gone soon should be the days where a little experienced driver like Paul Dana can make a weak field just because he brings enough sponsorship with him. Too bad it's too late for Paul, but perhaps many of the other less competitive drivers you mention will find themselves without a ride in time.
Also, I would be shocked if some of Champ Car's best practices like the traveling medical staff, safety & technology don't creep their way into the new league. I can't help but believe something that would benefit drivers/track workers/fans would be dismissed simply because it originated in the "other" league.
Finally, it appears some of Champ Car's current road venues will now integrate into the predominantly oval IRL series bringing back the days when CART switched between the two formats regularly. That was when car set-up's & strategy meant something each week and where we saw some teams do well at ovals/road courses (and visa versa) while others didn't. Not trying to change yours or anyone's opinion, just my .02 worth and hopes for the future of US based open wheel racing. Okay, I'll take off my rose-colored glasses for now. Time for me to get back to work!

Last edited:
Re: Silver lining

..... Ultimately, I try to look at this merger from the for-the-betterment-of-the-sport perspective, not just about the man behind the league that succeeded and what his intentions are. Consider the combined driver talent that will now exist in one league. ......

Also, I would be shocked if some of Champ Car's best practices like the traveling medical staff, safety & technology don't creep their way into the new league. I can't help but believe something that would benefit drivers/track workers/fans would be dismissed simply because it originated in the "other" league.

Finally, it appears some of Champ Car's current road venues will now integrate into the predominantly oval IRL series bringing back the days when CART switched between the two formats regularly. That was when car set-up's & strategy meant something each week.......
I would have to agree with you that there is an upside that will make up for a lot of the damage done. Of course, it's not going to be easy bringing back AOW because the times have changed in the last 12 years and the marketing challenges are tougher than ever. Too bad many hard core fans will be gone, but, as trite as it sounds, times do change and new fans will discover the sport. Will they love it as much as we did in the heyday? Maybe not, but it doesn't matter because they won't know.

The good news is that the internet keeps all little communities alive. I'm on a skydiving forum and there's a page for trivia and history. It's real popular and many old timers relive the past every single day there. I see that happening with the Off Camber and CC Fanatic websites.

I'm glad it's going to be over.

Unless there’s a last-minute intervention by the gods of reason, the IRL race at Motegi, Japan will run April 19 as scheduled and the 33rd annual Long Beach Grand Prix will take the green flag on April 20.

And both races will count towards the 2008 IRL championship.

That’s correct. The regular IRL teams will be on the oval in Japan with their Dallara-Hondas while the Champ Car teams that are expected to compete full time in the unified series will be running their Panoz-Cosworths for the final time. Drivers will earn equal IRL points in each event.

Apparently, this bizarre doubleheader in different parts of the world was the only compromise that could be reached to accommodate both sides. Long Beach is land-locked into its date and obviously must keep its tradition going in order to secure a new, longer contract.

Very interesting ......

Re: Turn out the lights.......

Anyone monitoring the wake over on CC Fanatics? Sad.

Did Paper take down his 'Papertakes' site? I can't get there anymore.

I hear that WindTunnel will have the dickheads (FTG and KK) on this Sunday. I'll be surprised if we learn anything. :rolleyes:

Re: Turn out the lights.......

I hear that WindTunnel will have the dickheads (FTG and KK) on this Sunday. I'll be surprised if we learn anything. :rolleyes:

I agree, I don't expect much until the news conference supposedly next week. I'm most interested in hearing what the schedule will be for this year....and how they are going to deal with the whole Motegi/Long Beach weekend thing.

Well that was pretty much as expected (Windtunnel). I guess we'll have to tune in Wednesday to the press conference to hear real the details. About the only thing I really got out of the show was that it sounds like they will be at both Long Beach and in Japan that same weekend in April. I wonder how they'll work out the championship points etc.!??! I'd also love to hear them announce they have plans to race the Indy road course (former F1 circuit) as well as the 500 too.:biggrin:

Re: Did anything significant

come out of the "press conference" that you didn't already know?

Didn't think so.

I've got to agree with you 92 white....nothing but lip service.:mad: I guess we'll just have to wait (or not) to see where it goes from here.

Well, now that the first race of the overly-hyped “new era” is in the books, a couple of observations:

•Nothing too unexpected, former IRL teams dominated taking the top 11 positions with the highest finishing former Champ Car driver Oriol Servia coming in 12th.

•The old Champ Car teams have a LOT of work to do to be competitive. (Perhaps next week’s road course In St. Pete will level the playing field a bit.)

•Sure would have loved to see PT in the mix!

•Milka needs to find a new career…….NOW!!!

I’m hoping to see the former Champ car teams can come up to speed by the Indy 500 and expect to have a much more competitive 2nd half of the season. Until then, at least there’s always F1!:cool:

In the last 2 races, Graham Rahal and Danica Patrick have won. I think the new IRL has received more press in the 2 or so weeks than in the last 3 years of both IRL and CCWS combined. Maybe Jimmy V will win the LBGP and there will be some more publicity.

If and when Sam Hornish comes to race at Indy this year, and hopefully comes back to the series, it will be an even better sign. It is freightening that a 35th-42nd place team in NASCAR pays its driver more than the Open Wheel Champion (both IRL or CCWS) did. Hopefully in the next 3-5 years the champion will make 1/2 what a top 12 driver makes.

It is going to be a good, maybe great May.

Miner

Re: The script was perfect

I think the new IRL has received more press in the 2 or so weeks than in the last 3 years of both IRL and CCWS combined.
The merger deal included hiring a real marketing firm with people that actually know how to write a script.

Of course "you didn't hear that from me," a guy who thinks the movie Wag the Dog represents more truth than fiction. :wink: I hope I'm wrong as that kind of manipulation would be bad for racing, but some of us think the business of racing is no longer about actual racing.

Re: The script was perfect

The merger deal included hiring a real marketing firm with people that actually know how to write a script.

Of course "you didn't hear that from me," a guy who thinks the movie Wag the Dog represents more truth than fiction. :wink: I hope I'm wrong as that kind of manipulation would be bad for racing, but some of us think the business of racing is no longer about actual racing.

That would be NASCAR.:biggrin: Now if Sara Fisher wins Indy, then I'll agree with you.

Both Rahal and Patrick's wins were results of strategy and not outright the fastest car; but in the end, the only thing is winning. Otherwise, Mario and Micheal Andretti would have won at least 10 500s.

Miner

•Milka needs to find a new career…….NOW!!!
(1) She has the "cheap gas" (Venezuela oil - PdVSA / CITGO) leverage. She is also well funded, possibly due to (2);
(2) She has the telegenics and ethnic background for potential "X factor" - a bit of voice coaching and she can do well. Am sure we can lend her a "mike" :biggrin:

Re: Stealing some NASCAR thunder

I previously suggested that the merger deal include
a real marketing firm with people that actually know how to write a script
Well, maybe that's not too far off, as someone is coming up with some real publicity ideas; Dale Jr. invited to race an IndyCar in Texas

Like Danica, it's cute but may have some legs. Either way, it is one small brick in rebuilding the AOW image. :wink:

Pole day qualifying was weak, even though there were lots of cars running. I think it was the mild weather. I'm used to a few cars going out early then lots of practice during the heat of the day followed by the frenzy during happy hour.

Sara Fisher and Milka Duno along with 20 other teams making runs on Saturday / Sunday should prove interesting. I'm also waiting for Penske to bring Sam Hornish up from his regular ride.

Miner

Puke.

Screw him.

I always find people who " know the truth " very amusing - do give us some more!!!

Re: FTG = Village Idiot? reality confirmed

I always find people who " know the truth " very amusing - do give us some more!!!
I like a good nickname and tabloid type bashing as much as the next guy, which is why I use the "F" along with the TG. All in good fun, I usually say. But I didn't pretend to know the truth about whether or not he really was the village idiot. I mean, he got Roger, Chip and the Andrettis to eat crow and go to the dark side, which is saying something in my book.

But a racing friend of mine who has been the fueler for Dale Coyne for the past couple of years let me know yesterday how bad he thought it was. He quit. Now to put this in perspective, you need to understand that, being just a regular and laidback sort of guy, he was pretty happy with this racing job in Champ Car even if it was with a poor backmarker team. However, he recently quit and went to an Atlantic team because of the chaos swirling thru the IRL paddock caused by the "Village Idiot son" as he put it. So, hearing that from someone who's not an excitable or pompous guy by any stretch puts the F much more firmly in front of the TG for me.

But oh well, why worry about what you can't change. I'll casually watch while waiting for the next F-1 race.

Re: FTG = Village Idiot? reality confirmed

I like a good nickname and tabloid type bashing as much as the next guy, which is why I use the "F" along with the TG. All in good fun, I usually say. But I didn't pretend to know the truth about whether or not he really was the village idiot. I mean, he got Roger, Chip and the Andrettis to eat crow and go to the dark side, which is saying something in my book.

But a racing friend of mine who has been the fueler for Dale Coyne for the past couple of years let me know yesterday how bad he thought it was. He quit. Now to put this in perspective, you need to understand that, being just a regular and laidback sort of guy, he was pretty happy with this racing job in Champ Car even if it was with a poor backmarker team. However, he recently quit and went to an Atlantic team because of the chaos swirling thru the IRL paddock caused by the "Village Idiot son" as he put it. So, hearing that from someone who's not an excitable or pompous guy by any stretch puts the F much more firmly in front of the TG for me.

But oh well, why worry about what you can't change. I'll casually watch while waiting for the next F-1 race.

Very interesting - best of luck to your friend in his new job - now that CART is gone, who sanctions Atlantic ( a great series in my opinion ) these days? I wish I could get more worked up about F1 - maybe if the red cars didn't win every race it would be a little more exciting.

Back