iPhone 5

If anyone wants a large screen with great battery life, there is a Droid Razr Maxx HD coming with a 4.7'' screen and a 3300 MAH battery which is rated for well over a day. It will truly be a no midday charge phone.

I never liked any of the previous iterations, but this new one looks great. If anything, it looks like the iphone 4/4s with that metal band around the periphery.

Combined with the Kevlar backplate, and gorilla glass front, this is shaping up to be a really sexy phone. I've got to say, it has me more excited than the iphone 5.

And before any haters jump in, I am actually ordering the iphone 5 tonight to check it out. I hope it can sway me back, but it's not looking good with all the downfalls.

That really is a nice phone. I've loved my HTC evo since day one and it was better with the 3500 mAh battery. Im due for an upgrade and I'm not sure what i want. I've the sprint/nextel and the unlimited plan for almost 10 years, seems that sprint has a great $89 unlimited plan, no surprises. I bet as soon as i upgrade something FASTER will be out!!! maybe i'll try my first iphone, or wait till after the hoopla is over. the iphone 4s seems attractive at that price and i cant be THAT much worse than the iphone 5.

How about not LTE, and not a larger screen (both of which Android introduced over a year ago.)

[this is your cue to start going on and on about the internals that were upgraded]

SO if the iPhone 5 does not have LTE and a larger screen would be considered revolutionary to you. OK I get it.

Last edited:
This is the NSX of smartphones. It is beautifully designed, a pleasure to type emails and texts with and doesn't pretend to be a miniature home entertainment center. What kind of numbnuts wants to watch a movie, play a game or surf the web on a teenie weenie 4" screen in the first place? I have an old grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan and with an app called Tether I can use the Blackberry as a 4G LTE modem for any computer without "notifying the authorities" or needing to activate it's hotspot capability and lose my data plan.

blackberry-bold-9900-hero.jpg

This is the NSX of smartphones. It is beautifully designed, a pleasure to type emails and texts with and doesn't pretend to be a miniature home entertainment center. What kind of numbnuts wants to watch a movie, play a game or surf the web on a teenie weenie 4" screen in the first place? I have an old grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan and with an app called Tether I can use the Blackberry as a 4G LTE modem for any computer without "notifying the authorities" or needing to activate it's hotspot capability and lose my data plan.

blackberry-bold-9900-hero.jpg

Yeah, it looks like it was designed 20 years ago. :biggrin:

Yeah, it looks like it was designed 20 years ago. :biggrin:

Right, because the iPhone looks so new and fresh.

Hugh, you are a good man. Just wait till bb10 and you will be impressed.

Ps. Tether rules.

Last edited:
Since Steve Jobs passed away, the excitement also went away. The iphone 5 is a nice improvement, but it didn't "WOW" me at all. However, it will again break all sales records on iphones/smartphones. I think its just a cult, so drink so Kool Aid and join in and pick up an iphone today.

:smile:

I disagree, the excitement actually picked up. People were ready to see what Apple would do without Steve's restrictive ways. People thought they'd finally see flash, possibly more freedom in customization...but nope!!

That's why more people are disappointed than they are excited about the i5. But you are correct in that sales will not take a hit at all.

I disagree, the excitement actually picked up. People were ready to see what Apple would do without Steve's restrictive ways. People thought they'd finally see flash, possibly more freedom in customization...but nope!!

That's why more people are disappointed than they are excited about the i5. But you are correct in that sales will not take a hit at all.

I thought Steve was still involved in iphone5. It was the last project he worked on.

Hugh, you are a good man. Just wait till bb10 and you will be impressed.

Ps. Tether rules.

Thanks buddy.
Hopefully RIM will still be in business when OS 10 is released. As long as I can still get a phone with a real keyboard I'll be happy.

Here's a leaked photo of the BB 10 Touchscreen......... I wonder if those dimwits at Apple will sue them too?

BB10London.jpeg

RIM is bleeding out, and will be dead in a couple of years. Acquisition for their assets/IP.

Marissa Mayer (formerly of Google, now CEO of Yahoo) switched everyone off of RIM at Yahoo because she wanted employees to be more in tune with Yahoo users.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/pre...Buys-iPhone-5s-for-Yahoo-Staff-169995236.html

And while her move was more of a motivator/PR stunt, I can't disagree with the pretext. If Yahoo wants to deliver products end users want, they have to know the ins and outs of the devices end users use.

And that was really the last thing RIM had going for it: businesses using RIM for it's corporate features/price. Without that, they are toast.

My ex gf's law firm used to only offer RIM, and since 2011 they started offering Apple iphones. Guess what everyone switched to as soon as they could...

RIM has always been terrible imo. Never understood the fascination. People that need a hard keyboard sound like people that want flip phones.

Also, who wants to dial a number on those tiny keys? The first time I used a berry I asked where the dial pad was. When I realized it was just a few keys on the keypad, I laughed.

Flash? LOL!

Seriously, how hard is it to add flash?

RIM is bleeding out, and will be dead in a couple of years. Acquisition for their assets/IP.

I agree. I had 3 blackberries and they were great at the time. Nothing was better.
But they fell behind fast.
The biggest mistake they made, IMO, was not making a 'blackberry app' for iPhones and Androids.
Charge $30 and let people tie into their highly secure BES servers instead of opening ports for active-sync.
Too late now. Ports are open in enterprises now, and there's no going back.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy.
Hopefully RIM will still be in business when OS 10 is released. As long as I can still get a phone with a real keyboard I'll be happy.

Here's a leaked photo of the BB 10 Touchscreen......... I wonder if those dimwits at Apple will sue them too?

BB10London.jpeg

They have 75 million users. They are not going anywhere anytime soon. The keyboard version will be out shortly after then full touch. I haven't seen the kb, but the touch phone is looking very good.

Marissa Mayer (formerly of Google, now CEO of Yahoo) switched everyone off of RIM at Yahoo because she wanted employees to be more in tune with Yahoo users.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/pre...Buys-iPhone-5s-for-Yahoo-Staff-169995236.html

And while her move was more of a motivator/PR stunt, I can't disagree with the pretext. If Yahoo wants to deliver products end users want, they have to know the ins and outs of the devices end users use.

And that was really the last thing RIM had going for it: businesses using RIM for it's corporate features/price. Without that, they are toast.

My ex gf's law firm used to only offer RIM, and since 2011 they started offering Apple iphones. Guess what everyone switched to as soon as they could...

RIM has always been terrible imo. Never understood the fascination. People that need a hard keyboard sound like people that want flip phones.

Also, who wants to dial a number on those tiny keys? The first time I used a berry I asked where the dial pad was. When I realized it was just a few keys on the keypad, I laughed.

A good friend and neighbor of mine works for the nations largest refrigerated trucking company. They all had RIM too, but after the last few outages they switched to iPhones as well. They have to keep track of 5,000 drivers at any given time. They can't deal with information outages.

Last edited:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...es_fastest_idevices_outperforms_androids_best

The online benchmarking site reportedly logged a score of 1601 from an "iPhone5,2" that was running iOS 6 on a dual-core ARMv7 processor clocked at 1.02GHz with 1GB of RAM. While it is not impossible to spoof device identifiers, the specifications line up with previous speculation that Apple's A6 SoC boasts a full gigabyte of DRAM and leverages a an ARMv7 CPU with custom-designed cores.

If legitimate, the iPhone5,2's score eked out the highest-performing Android devices, including the Asus-built Nexus 7 tablet and Samsung Galaxy S III. In comparison, no iOS device has surpassed the 800 mark, as last year's iPhone 4S netted a 631 while the third-generation iPad (CDMA) scored 734.

Seriously, how hard is it to add flash?

It's not hard, it compromises the stability of the platform and was a strategic move not to shoehorn it into the OS.

I really do commend steve on a 100% ballsy move by not jamming Flash into iOS. At the point when he made this decision the internet was littered with flash content. Instead of him conforming and compromising the stability of his phone, the popularity of the device helped rapidly push for the adoption of HTML5/H.264 and overall web standards, which were being pushed for many years but there wasn't a driving force until the iPhone.

Last edited:
The NBC Olympics apps for iOS were written in Adobe AIR, which is basically Flash for iOS, packaged as an app. Laggy, low UI frame rates, and non-standard controls. You compare those apps with native ones like the new YouTube app, and the difference in responsiveness is amazing.

This the the NSX of smartphones!!!
neon-silver-front.ashx

Or if you prefer the Ferrari of smartphones. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
vertu_constellation_quest_ferrari.jpg

Back