Interior carpet question

I have the typical 1991 red/black NSX. All the bodywork is now done on my car. Want to refresh the interior. Bought ultra low mileage 02+ seats for it last summer. Gonna detail the interior this spring. My black carpet has faded in time. Has anybody ever tried dying their carpet black? Or does anybody know if I can still order OEM black carpet or if there is an aftermarket company with a good quality product?

Yes, you can redye the carpet black. Somebody in the "Build Thread" recently dyed their ivory carpet red, so yes, it can be done. I think OEM black carpet is still available, but you are probably looking at $1500-1800 to replace all 4 big pieces. TFEnt (vendor on this website) offers NSX-R style replica carpet which you can get in black, costs ~$600-900. Another option would be to wait for someone to sell their OEM carpet, but those don't pop up often.

That being said, if your carpet is just faded and not worn, I'd recommend buying new floormats and just dying it black since its the most cost effective. If you're a perfectionist then I'd recommend getting the OEM carpet. Molded aftermarket carpets require alot of trimming and they will not fit perfectly like OEM.

I'd scout around for nice used carpet set first. I bought mine from Ravi years ago for $400.00 in 100% perfect cond. It's out there, you just need to be patient and ask around. Shawn may can hook you up. Stick with OEM.

I successfully used RIT fabric dye to deal with some fading on the 42 year old carpets on a car I was restoring (obviously not my NSX). The biggest problem I encountered was getting the carpet clean. The pile will hold an amazing amount of really fine grit. I vacuumed and shampooed the carpet with a carpet shampooer 4 or 5 times before I got the carpet to the point that grit was no longer dropping out when I shook the carpet. To do the actual dye job, I used a couple of those large heavy duty contractor garbage bags. You can slosh the dye around to get even distribution and then lay the bag flat (sealed up of course) to let the dye penetrate the fibers. 30 minutes worked for me. The dye is really cheap and it should be fairly easy to get a good match to the black. So far, my dyed carpets appear to be colorfast

If it turns out that the dye does not penetrate the fiber on the NSX carpet, you are out less than $10. If the dye does not work, I believe that Colorbond makes a carpet paint for use on automobile carpets. I have used other Colorbond products and have found them to be good; but, I have no experience with their carpet paint.

Last edited:
I bought a TFEnt carpet set. It is 2-3 times as thick as OEM and weighs nearly 50 pounds!
I sold that set and bought a set from ACURA. $1600. Factory made for our cars. Fit perfect, has clips to hold it in place. Have the heater duct vents and driver foot pad. IMO, worth it!!!!!!!!

-DREW-

Back