Interested in purchasing an NSX as a DD... smart move?

i wouldn't go as far to say that you shouldn't rev the engine to over 6K. the engine is designed to rev to 8K. you should really drive the car to enjoy, not drive it and be afraid that you are hurting it. nothing is more sad than to let a car like an nsx not being able to stretch its legs.

nobody will criticize you for actually hitting V-tec, but just be sure to not drive like an ass. luckily the nsx is one of those cars that can really be enjoyed even when only driven at 5-6/10th.

well good luck on your search and hope to see you on here as a owner. maybe after owning the car, you might actually enjoy "driving" the car =)

I think it depends on how long you want to own your NSX. Because its almost like if you drive your car as a DD then you put miles on the car and resale value goes down real fast. And then there is the mod issue. I thought i was just gonna do the regular tire/lower/wing mods, but i already have plans for a stereo and maybe a '02 conversion. Then doing too much mods on the car also makes it harder to sell. So if you decide to make it your DD then buy it and enjoy it......

I'm honestly enamored with this forum. Everyone here is super helpful unlike some other ones I frequent. I am on the hunt for an NSX as I speak... errr... type. I already found 3 within my price range, mileage, etc. but I'm definitely not going to "settle" for one. Long waits for the one that feels right is totally worth it and I learned that the hard way. I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well!

Thanks everyone!

I'm DD'ing my 91' with 131k+. I've had her for 2 1/2 years and have done tires and other general maintenance (mostly myself and I'm an amateur) regularly. Civic reliability with some higher costs (obviously). Tires can tend wear fast, but that depends a lot on your right foot:wink:

The only 'major' items that I had to repair was the master and slave clutch cylinder.

Other than that, I ditched my 18/19 setup and put on the old 15/16 wheels. Why you ask? I live in pothole-ridden Chicago and rolling over one of those craters isn't nearly as bad with a little more rubber between the rim and the road. When I say they are 'everywhere' here, I mean they are EVERYWHERE.

Plus, these smaller tires/wheels make the car more nimble and tire replacement doesn't cost as much.

Bottom line is, these are very reliable cars. Once you start working on it yourself, you will know and begin to understand just how well these vehicles were engineered. Good luck.

Great to see only positives about the reliablility of the NSX.

I have another concern though, the NSX's I'm currently looking at all have above 100k+ miles. I would normally never buy a used car with close to that many miles but the NSX is definitely an exception. Still, a part of me is a little scared of driving a car with that many miles as my daily driver for at least a couple of years down the road. I'm pretty sure some of my friends and family will think I'm crazy for buying a car with that many miles for $20k+. But I guess not everyone appreciates the beauty of the NSX.

Ok ok had a bit of pre-buyers remorse there (if there is such a thing), but my heart is still set and the hunt continues!

i bought my 97 with 120k+ miles for $30k the previous owner also used it as a DD. But if you are looking for a lower mileage NSX then be prepared to pay for it. Just like i said if you plan on keeping the car for a long time then get a "decent" mileage NSX which will be cheaper but also make sure it is documented or you can prove the maintenance on it.

I bought my 95 with 56K 4 years ago and have doubled it to 113K now. Yeah, I depreciated my car, but I have no regrets. For damn sure it's depreciated a lot less than a new car would have in 4 years.

Alright I feel better now about higher mileage NSX's :).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to go about the purchasing process? I need to sell my current car before I purchase the NSX to have enough cash available as I do not want to take out a loan. I have savings I could use but would rather keep that locked up. The rarity of finding a good used NSX makes the process exponentially more difficult. In a perfect world, I would find an NSX and a buyer for my s2000 around the same time, sell my S2000, then pick up the NSX right away. If I sell my s2000 first, I will probably have to rent a car until I find an NSX which could be a week to many many months which won't work. Oye this is difficult! Any ideas?

I had a NSX as my only car for 2 years and it only let me down once.. Main Fuel Relay went out. Simple fix. I didn't have a garage at the time. I would never recommend anyone getting a NSX and not having a garage to keep it in at night. I had a 93. The maintenance on the NSX is not cheap. Familiarize yourself with the costs of clutches, tires, services etc etc so you know exactly what you are getting in to. Also, it sounds like you might want some minor mods on the car in the future, I would recommend already getting a car with mods you like so you don't have to touch it. Of course, there is nothing wrong with getting a stock one. Now is a great time to buy a NSX as the prices have really dropped.

Best of luck.

Maintenance is certainly more expensive, maybe squarely between Civic and Ferrari. Plus, you're probably looking at an older one, and a 15(ish) year old car will have some issues. I had some bad coil packs, but other than that, at 170k miles, still going strong.

And for all you "daily driver except in winter" wussies, when it snows, you just hold the pedal on the right to the floor, and the traction control does the rest....

- C

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 39
Is maintenance costs on a 100k+ mile NSX going to be relatively the same as that for a E46 M3 with say 50k+ miles? I'm just trying to get as close to a ballpark figure as I can since E46 M3's are also dropping significantly in price and I wouldn't mind owning that again :). Why can't life be great and we can't have all the cars we want in our garage... sighh!

Alright I feel better now about higher mileage NSX's :).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to go about the purchasing process? I need to sell my current car before I purchase the NSX to have enough cash available as I do not want to take out a loan. I have savings I could use but would rather keep that locked up. The rarity of finding a good used NSX makes the process exponentially more difficult. In a perfect world, I would find an NSX and a buyer for my s2000 around the same time, sell my S2000, then pick up the NSX right away. If I sell my s2000 first, I will probably have to rent a car until I find an NSX which could be a week to many many months which won't work. Oye this is difficult! Any ideas?

I told you earlier... You need to sell your s2000 first... Its going to be very tough in todays economy... infact I think its a good possibility you might be sitting on this part for quite a while months if not longer......

So perhaps sell the s2000 first then see how you feel about buying a nsx.... Then come back here when you are ready!! :)

Back