Intake -- Suggestions

Shumdit said:
It has not been proven it takes in any water to my knowledge. I think it is a bad and untrue rumor. I know I have the Downforce one, and the sound alone is woth 3 times what I paid for it.
(PS, I would drive it in the rain if need be too!)

Is this similar to the Cantrell unit in terms of sound??

I am not sure, having never heard the cantrell, but since they are the same thing from what I can tell, I would expect them to sound exactly the same. I Friggin love that sound.

Shumdit said:
I am not sure, having never heard the cantrell, but since they are the same thing from what I can tell, I would expect them to sound exactly the same. I Friggin love that sound.

I hope it is a cool as people say, and delivers a little bit more power like advertised. Mine arrives this coming week.

Power I can not say, as I did the exhaust at the same time (and unifilter) and I can say there is a difference, but how much is scoop related I am not sure. Sound is the reason I bought it, and I am happy with it.

The Cantrell/DF/Dali AIS scoop systems are all identical except for construction materials.

None have never conclusively proven any HP gains nor have I ever heard of an actual proven case of water intake. The Cantrell is built with a drainage hole for further help.
They all sound the same and they do sound cool. Worth the $250? That's up to you. :smile:

I bought my 3rd NSX a few months ago ('97) and need to do an air filter change according to my NSX tech. After reading this and several other threads on this subject, it appears there is somewhat of a consensus to stick with the OEM airbox as there is no evidence of any dyno-based HP differences in aftermarket intakes (other than the sound effect). However, the UNI Filter appears to be the way to go for the filter. The second option, which sounds like it is purely acoustic, would be the Cantrell / DF scoop. I think I will start with the UNI Filter and then consider the scoop. Here's the Dali article showing the HP comparisons for the intakes that was just another data point for this decision.
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/intake_dyno/intakedyno.cfm

NSXGMS - you're comments in several of the threads I reviewed help me come to this conclusion.

Does this sound like I am on the right track to go UNI Filter with stock airbox and then consider the scoop for acoustics only? SOS shows a 7 HP gain with Cantrell AIS & UNI but i think most of the gain might come from the filter and not the Cantrell AIS.

Any comments?

I bought my 3rd NSX a few months ago ('97) and need to do an air filter change according to my NSX tech. After reading this and several other threads on this subject, it appears there is somewhat of a consensus to stick with the OEM airbox as there is no evidence of any dyno-based HP differences in aftermarket intakes (other than the sound effect). However, the UNI Filter appears to be the way to go for the filter. The second option, which sounds like it is purely acoustic, would be the Cantrell / DF scoop. I think I will start with the UNI Filter and then consider the scoop. Here's the Dali article showing the HP comparisons for the intakes that was just another data point for this decision.
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/intake_dyno/intakedyno.cfm

NSXGMS - you're comments in several of the threads I reviewed help me come to this conclusion.

Does this sound like I am on the right track to go UNI Filter with stock airbox and then consider the scoop for acoustics only? SOS shows a 7 HP gain with Cantrell AIS & UNI but i think most of the gain might come from the filter and not the Cantrell AIS.

Any comments?

Not to sound like a ricer but honestly it's worth getting the scoop even for the sound. After looking at the stock intake it kinda upset me a little. It's very quiet but takes no advantage of that nice big oem scoop right next to the door.

Not to sound like a ricer but honestly it's worth getting the scoop even for the sound. After looking at the stock intake it kinda upset me a little. It's very quiet but takes no advantage of that nice big oem scoop right next to the door.

The UNI filter alone will probably give you more power than the AIS scoop. The scoop has never been shown to consistently generate one iota of additional power. It's not even visible!

As far as sound, it's noticeable but it's not life-changing. Your passenger will probably not hear it and it's going to be drowned out by the engine/exhaust noise when a bystander listens.

I personally feel there are better things to spend $300 on than an AIS. (The Dali Hot Chip, SOS Big-Bore Throttle Body, better brake pads/rotors, Dave's short shift block, etc.) True, the existing intake doesn't seem to utilize the car's ducting as well as it could but if it's not broken why fix it? No amount of tweaking by hundreds of top-notch tuners has ever resulted in a better system. To each his own I suppose.

I have had my Downforce scoop and UNI on for about a year... I decided to clean it today after reading this thread. Oh my God was it filthy! I have only driven in rain once otherwise nice days and this thing was filthy as well there was alot of dirt and grime on the inside of the box (the unfiltered side).

Guys with scoops, check you airbox and filter OFTEN the scoop lets in alot of dirt and dust.

As far as sound, it's noticeable but it's not life-changing. Your passenger will probably not hear it and it's going to be drowned out by the engine/exhaust noise when a bystander listens.

I have to say I disagree on this point. I think the sound is noticeable to both people in the car, and I have had at least a half dozen comments specifically about the intake noise from people in other car's at a stop light or at a drive thorugh window, all positive. I agree it might not make more power (as I have not done any dyno testing), but the sound alone makes the product a winner in my book.

Back