Installed Kenwood 8120

I'm going to try to make it to the South Coast Acura Meet on June 5 if anyone wants to check out the Kenwood installation. I went a couple of months ago right after I bought my car and I was looking for others who had upgraded their systems. There were a few, but none like what I ended up installing. It would have been nice to see and hear one before I pulled the trigger. Anyway, happy with how things turned out.
Thanks for the link to Garmin upgrades and you're right, no 8120. I think it's funny that Garmin never asked what version of their software I had. I haven't offered and they haven't asked...

John

I will try my best to make that meet! I really want to see the install in person...

Amy at Garmin wrote me back (no form email this time) and told me that the lastest version is City Navigator North America 2009. I have 2008 so I have the old stuff. I"m going to do my best to get it without a charge. We'll see how far I get...

Re: Installed Kenwood 8120 UPDATE

Spoke to Dallas at Al and Ed's yesterday. I wanted to ask about getting the software update I know is available. Well, Dallas agreed to replace the entire unit because Kenwood has made a few changes (for the better I assume) to it. Wow! What service, I didn't expect that! Loving the system so far...

Johnny

Hi John,

I take it you only replaced the stereo, did not change the Bose speakers and amp. Is the quality of the sound much better than your stock stereo? I want this same unit but have no intentions of modifying anything else.

Look forward to chatting with you at the next SCA meet.

Hey JC,

I kept the stock speakers and amplifiers. I can't say that the sound is better, but you'll get so many features like bluetooth, Ipod, USB, DVD, CD, Sirius or XM, and even Back up camera. There is also DSP modes. Anyway, you can't go wrong...

John

Next time I see you, lets do a demo...

Well I went ahead and got my install done at Al&Eds Ontario, with Darren doing the install and Dallas helping out with the planning, etc. Overall, I've kind of had a mixed experience. Darren is certainly talented and capable, and the dash cut/paint/ashtray functionality all came out great, just as John's pics show. I also had them install an Alpine PDX 4.150 amp in the trunk, a V3 sub in the passenger footwell, and a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect components in the doors with Dynamat. The price for the install of everything was competitive, and the experience Darren had with NSXs made me feel comfortable in hopes of getting a clean install....

As I said the center dash came out well, as well as the clean install of the sub, amp, and tweeters in the doors. However after a few days with the car, I noticed a few issues: First, the kenwood unit was mounted ever so slightly crooked, which caused one of the corners of the unit to rub against a corner of the cut-out. I didn't notice it at first because it was off just so slightly, but eventually I noticed the unit began to scrape the paint off of the corner of the dash when I would use the reverse tilt mode. Second, my passenger door developed a noticeable rattle when I would close it. Something had come loose in there. Third, I noticed that the left and right channel wiring was reversed with the unit. Fourth, the GPS antennae was getting interference from being hidden out of sight inside the dash.

So I let Dallas know that I'd be bringing the car back in to get these issues taken care of this weekend, but since they are always so busy, and I work and live so far away, I'd have to arrange it so that I leave the car for a couple days (again). So I get the car back yesterday evening, I notice the console and Kenwood alignment are rectified, repainted, passenger door rattle fixed, speaker channels correct, and the GPS antennae mounted in a corner of the dash and window. All issues fixed right? Well... until I noticed another chip of paint up by one of the a/c vents. Quite annoying. I point this out to them, and they try to use touch up paint, but it wouldn't stick so its gonna require a complete sand-down and respray. But since Darren doesn't work Sunday, I gotta leave the piece with them because I need to have my car back, and come back in a couple days again. In the meantime, I just noticed my driver door has developed a similar rattle....

I think Darren and these guys are talented and quite capable... but it seems to me that there is a lack of basic quality control, maybe due to how busy they are and maybe because they are in a time crunch. But regardless, when dropping a lot of money for a complete install, there is no excuse for not having things done right the first time.... especially when they are relatively basic issues. Its especially frustrating for me because I need my car and have to borrow a family member's one when I drop it off (twice now) for a few days, and I work and live very far from the shop so its become quite inconvenient.

I wish I could put up a glorifying review for them, but so far, I can't. All I'm hoping for is they get all the issues resolved and and no new ones pop up. :frown:

Last edited:
So if my math is correct, that would be two bad experiences and one good experience with AL & ED'S in Ontario Ca.

So who is going to try and even up the score?:tongue::rolleyes:

That's pretty funny Semnos! I'm returning for my replacement 8120, so I'll mention the concerns to Dallas when I see him. Let's see what they do to please Nick with his installation...

John

Well just to update:
Went back to Al & Ed's Ontario yesterday evening to get my a/c vent bezel back, and pointed out to Darren the remaining issues with my door and the hole cutout. To his credit, he stayed past closing and fixed all my remaining issues, and made sure everything looked right. So, for now, all looks to be well and I'm much relieved. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping no other issues develop!

By the way, my take on the bluetooth experience with the Kenwood has been very, very good. Like John, the microphone in my car was mounted at the top of the a-piller, and everyone I've talked to said it sounds great with hardly any background noise at all, even at freeway speeds. I can hear everyone just fine as well. All my contacts show up on the unit's phonebook as well. The only thing that doesn't work for me is the SMS messages don't come through on the unit as my phone isn't on the compatibility list for that feature. But still, the unit as a whole is great!

Hey Guys,

Here's my update. Dallas at Al & Ed's gave me the new unit and what do you know, Ya Hoo, it sees the completed 210 freeway! everything else seems the same, so all and all, I'm a happy camper. Nothing beats the GPS with the POI's. Do you know that I found Ramon at Niguel Motors with the POI on my GPS. How cool is that? The fit and finish of my installation is holding up well with no chipping or flaking on the console. When I was having mine done, Darren told me that he can finish the console in any color that you choose. I thought about matching the exterior color, but opted for the stock look. Having my touch screen has made driving my car even more enjoyable, if that's even possible....

John

Well, one thing I've noticed about my Garmin navigation is that if the car has been parked in a parking garage for a couple of hours, it often takes a long time for it to "acquire satellites" once I'm out in the open. This long time means anywhere between 1 minute - 20 minutes. This is not cool... but is it normal? If it is, its annoying cause no other navigation system that I've seen takes that long... My nav antennae is well placed by the windshield...

Nick

Haven't noticed this with mine, although I haven't been in too many parking garages. However, I do park in my garage at home, but I don't recall booting up the GPS as I pulled out to see if it takes a while. Ask Dallas to check with Garmin to see if others have this issue. I just thought of trying a reboot on your unit. There's a place on the front of the unit you push with a paperclip. Could be software related...If you do this, you'll need to redo all your settings. Good luck buddy...

John

Thanks for the link to Garmin upgrades and you're right, no 8120. I think it's funny that Garmin never asked what version of their software I had. I haven't offered and they haven't asked...

John
I was following this thread and you mentioned that got a replacement 8120 from AL & ED'S (which is great BTW). Out of curiosity.....have your followed up with Garmin, to see if there are future updates for the 8120? I have the same HU installed a couple of weeks ago, along with new speakers, amp, & a V3 Zetoolman sub. On my HU I have the current City Navigator North America 2009 maps already pre-installed in the HU. Now I'm just wondering about the next time for the maps to be updated.
This I do know from my current stand along Garmin GPS units. There are different packages that are offered when buying a Garmin GPS unit. A real basic package included the following (GPS unit, suction cup mount, home charger & auto cigarette lighter charger). An upgraded package (deluxe) will include everything in the basic package along with 1 future update from Garmin. I bring this up because, I was not offered an upgrade package (not sure if it's even available) for the HU so I'm not sure if I or we will have to pay for an updated map the next time. One other retarded thing from Garmin is how they charge/money gouge you for the updated maps. For instances, I mentioned that I have (2) stand along GPS units and both uses the same identical maps for updated. I got one free updated map (City Navigator North America 2009) for my older Nuvi 350 and was going to update my newer but not current maps on my Nuvi 670 and I can't. They (Garmin) wants you to pay for each updated maps for each different individual GPS unit you own. Now I really think this is just a bad way to conduct business.

Well, one thing I've noticed about my Garmin navigation is that if the car has been parked in a parking garage for a couple of hours, it often takes a long time for it to "acquire satellites" once I'm out in the open. This long time means anywhere between 1 minute - 20 minutes. This is not cool... but is it normal? If it is, its annoying cause no other navigation system that I've seen takes that long... My nav antennae is well placed by the windshield...
Well I haven't used the HU enough to give you an honest answer, however I can tell about the experiences I have had with the Garmin GSP units (nuvi 350 & nuvi 670) I do currently own (stand alone units). I also notice that not only because your car was parked indoor which caused slow boot up to find the satellite, but it also happened to me (slow to find the satellite) when the GPS unit has been disconnected (in my case the cigarette lighter power). IMO, I think this is just a minor inhearant problem with any Garmin GPS systems that I have own so far.

Last edited:
Well I haven't used the HU enough to give you an honest answer, however I can tell about the experiences I have had with the Garmin GSP units (nuvi 350 & nuvi 670) I do currently own (stand alone units). I also notice that not only because your car was parked indoor which caused slow boot up to find the satellite, but it also happened to me (slow to find the satellite) when the GPS unit has been disconnected (in my case the cigarette lighter power). IMO, I think this is just a minor inhearant problem with any Garmin GPS systems that I have own so far.

It's a problem with a lot of NAV units. Some units consistently take a long time fixing on the satellites like my friend's Blackbird.

It's a problem with a lot of NAV units. Some units consistently take a long time fixing on the satellites like my friend's Blackbird.
I thought it was only Garmin, but what you say makes sense. Yeah, I almost bought the Alpine IVA-W205 with the blackbird navi. I decided against it because the navi had really poor graphics for the gps maps, besides I like the Garmin interface better anyway.

That sucks. I never had that problem with my old Kenwood double-din (pre-Garmin navi)... and I don't see that problem but for a few seconds with factory installed navis like Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, etc...
If you have the "high level detail" selection set on the Garmin, does that reduce performance in things like this, or re-routing, or anything else?

I have been ready to replace the single din install of an Alpine 9857 into a modified OEM center console I did a few years ago. Although it functioned very well, the paint around the CC unit had cracked & I never thought the single din looked OEM.

After the holidays, I recently completed my own install of the Kenwood 8120 into the new SOS/Downforce injected molded center console: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Downforce/center_console/

I used the the SOS mounting bracket: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/stereo_bracket_kit/, turned it upside down to "raise" the Kenwood unit to minimize the shaving I had to do on the top of the ashtray door as I wanted this to be fully functional. Using this bracket make this install easy. I did extend the slots on the bracket so that the Kenwood would protrude aprox 1/4 inch.

The beauty of this project was and is the SOS injected molded center console. The fit is absolutely PERFECT! I did minimal sanding, primed and painted it satin black to match the vent and door pieces I had previously painted in my single din install. To me it all looks like an updated OEM factory install. I know this center console isn't cheap, but quality does come at a fair price, as maybe the best part of this piece is that there is no electroplating to have to fool with. I wish all the plastic pieces in my car were made of this same injected molded material for both better strength and ease of finishing.

If you look closely to the right of the aspirator fan vent, you may notice the LED for the Crimestopper alarm unit I installed at the same time.

I won't spend the time to talk about the merits of the Kenwood 8120 unit, I chose this unit because the Kenwood did not have knobs that protruded, looked like it belonged in this space and has great iPod control and Garmin Navigation that both work great.

I also used the old CD din cable to run signal for the backup camera I installed at the same time.

All considered I am very pleased that I now have an interior that looks like it belongs in this century and works like a charm.

I'm in Dallas and if anyone would to see this install or need assitance, I would be glad to help.

And last, thanks to Chris and the good folks at SOS for providing us such high quality parts that made this project relatively easy, definitely a DIY!

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00013.jpg
    DSC00013.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 64
Can someone recommend an audio shop to do my install in West LA or downtown LA? I don't wanna drive all the way to Ontario to get my Pioneer F90BT installed... I have CF trim and carpet to install as well so keep that in mind... let me know what you guys think! :biggrin:

Back