Install of Wil's (ANGUS) Sub

Just installed Angus's 10 inch sub box and amp. It fits incredibly well and sounds so good I am debating the necessity for installing the second amp and door speakers (which are already purchased). As you can see you don't know its there. The Amp is attached to a board which is bolted to the spare tire bracket- one bolt and two nuts and it lifts out.

Thanks Angus!

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 393
I have mine like that , was caught in rain a couple times , no problem at all .

Car amps probably see more moisture in trunks and under seats without trouble, very little water gets under the front hood unless you have a nsx-r hood. And even if your amp gets a little wet , the rad fan will very quickly dry it!

ALSO - Rich's car does not even have wipers, so this is a complete non-issue...

You are kidding right?

there is a reason why i have removed the wipers neither the NSX or the Viper are driven if there is even a remote chance of rain -

never, ever, will not happen, never has - never will :biggrin:

probably why my 97 has 12,000 miles

I have plenty of other cars for days with clouds

Rich

I'd be more concerned with the hot air from the radiator blowing on it. Amps going to shut down every 10 minutes from the heat protection circuit.

i feel the whole, not driving the car in the rain or anything. I don't know if I, myself, would do the amp there but, THAT'S A BADASS AMP!!! I love Nakamichi

Do you have a grille over your speaker? I put one on mine but it makes my carpet look lumpy since it isn' flat.

I'd be more concerned with the hot air from the radiator blowing on it. Amps going to shut down every 10 minutes from the heat protection circuit.

Mine has been like this for four years , on the hottest days in summer (40c) my amps did not shut down. Amps can run way hotter than the rad...

Cozmo said:
Do you have a grille over your speaker? I put one on mine but it makes my carpet look lumpy since it isn' flat.

I did - The lump diassapears with the floor mat but I am considering removing it anyway or replacing it with a couple of flat alluminum bars

I ordered a couple of different grills and they all project a little much

Last edited:
Interesting location for the Amp, I've seen up front in MR2's etc... but I guess as long as it doesn't see the elements on the inside you should be ok. I know there are some marine duty avail if yours gives out...

Alpine Marine:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/category/marine

Clarion Marine:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2010/marine/amplifiers/index.html

There are indeed a lot more marine products than that, but believe me, the amount of moisture in the front is less than a lot of trunks I have seen. As I said, car audio components are already designed to see quite a bit of moisture - they wouldn't last if they weren't.

Last edited:
There are indeed a lot more marine products than that, but believe me, the amount of moisture in the front is less than a lot of trunks I have seen. As I said, car audio components are already designed to see quite a bit of moisture - they wouldn't last if they weren't.

I'm a bit of an audiophile myself most definitely a clever location if you don't have a spare tire & or running a vented hood, and also helps to free up valuable trunk space. Yes there are a lot more marine duty amps out there than that MTX, Exile, Sony, JL Audio, Kicker pretty much every major amp manufacture has a marine line up... and yea I agree a good quality built amp can withstand a lot of abuse :smile:

So what happens if you are making a quick jaunt in Vegas and the temps are up in the 120's, with the reflective pavement heat of 150+ and you get caught in a wicked thunderstorm and get a flat? :biggrin::tongue:

So what happens if you are making a quick jaunt in Vegas and the temps are up in the 120's, with the reflective pavement heat of 150+ and you get caught in a wicked thunderstorm and get a flat? :biggrin::tongue:

Run a Marine amp... most amps have thermal shut down protection... and call AAA when you get the flat tire... ;)

That's definitely not a spot I'd recommend for an amp. I have shielded battery terminals that were just plain filthy after a few years. In this setting, the amp is exposed to nearly the same dirt, grime and moisture (condensation). Depending on the amp, it may or may not be able to take the heat. It's certainly a good idea not to blow hot air on an amp. There are better locations in our cars for mounting amplifiers...

That's definitely not a spot I'd recommend for an amp. I have shielded battery terminals that were just plain filthy after a few years. In this setting, the amp is exposed to nearly the same dirt, grime and moisture (condensation). Depending on the amp, it may or may not be able to take the heat. It's certainly a good idea not to blow hot air on an amp. There are better locations in our cars for mounting amplifiers...

Our cars obviously lead different lives- no dirt no grime for my nsx

its driven, washed and goes back under her cover- My mastercraft boat's amps see more abuse I would imagine-

hate to say it but if it did one day go out I would put a new one in- no worries there- more of a chance that my iphone craps out from using it in the hot tub or pool. :)

Our cars obviously lead different lives- no dirt no grime for my nsx

its driven, washed and goes back under her cover- My mastercraft boat's amps see more abuse I would imagine-

hate to say it but if it did one day go out I would put a new one in- no worries there- more of a chance that my iphone craps out from using it in the hot tub or pool. :)

More power to you. My NSX sees Socal weather and 1000 miles per year. Just think you can pick many better locations to put an amplifier but you can put one on your roof or on the front bumper if your situation allows it.

Malibu Rapper said:
More power to you. My NSX sees Socal weather and 1000 miles per year. Just think you can pick many better locations to put an amplifier but you can put one on your roof or on the front bumper if your situation allows it.

Guess that's the point- from my prospective there was no better place given my particular situation, requirements and esthetics

Back