Insights on these please

Hey NSXP community,

I came across these two NSXes on the Canadian autotrader, and have contacted both sellers for further details. I'm not sure if either one of these is "The ONE", and also how reasonable the price is. I'm not a car mechanics guy, so I based my questions on the common issues and information relevant to purchasing a NSX from the NSX Prime WIKI section. It will be great if other NSX owners can chive in and share a little bit of personal buying experience such as, what to look out for, price and etc.

NSX 1: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/NSX/NEW WESTMINSTER/British Columbia/19_6919711_/?showcpo=ShowCPO
1. VIN: Jh4na1156mt002728 (All original, with no records of accidents)
2. Red/black with black interior
3. Transmission: In snap ring range, and has not been addressed yet
4. Owners: 3
5. Mileage: ~48,500 miles (~78,000km)
6. Timing belt & water pump service (also with gaskets): 38,079 miles (~61,300 km) -replaced by original owner
7. Service records: regular service from 1992 - 1999 at Acura dealership - then the most recent after that is done in 2006
8. Issues: -Driver side window
-Stereo / sound system needs work
Seller also mentioned the issues were common NSX issues posted here on Prime.
Asking price: $35,000 (CAD)

NSX 2: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/NSX/WINDSOR/Ontario/19_6769287_/?showcpo=ShowCPO
1. VIN: not told by seller (yet) (All original, with no records of accidents)
2. Red/black with ivory interior
3. Transmission: not in snap ring range
4. Owners: 3
5. Mileage: ~87,000 miles(~140,000km)
6. Timing belt & water pump service: 85,900 miles (~139,500 km)
7. Service records: have all service receipts from Acura dealership since 1991
8. Issues: Seller emphasized that this car is "perfect", nothing needs to be done
Asking price: $35,000 obo (CAD)

Frankly, the seller of NSX 1 was very friendly. He expressed disappointment when I told him that I'm from Toronto (Ontario), since I couldn't see how good the condition of the car was. He also doesn't mind if someone else checks over the car on behalf of me. He returned all texts promptly, and even told me before hand that the OEM stereo system wasn't working. While the NSX 2 seller didn't seem to be interested in selling the NSX at all (if anything, he seemed a little snobby (IMO) from the way he replied. But whatever, I'm only interested in his car, not interested in establishing a lifelong relationship with him haha).

Personally, I prefer the black interior of NSX 1. However, the NSX 2 in Burlington is a lot closer to me (perhaps a 1 to 2 hour drive at most), and that the seller is SO CONFIDENT about the car being perfect with all service records from 1991. Buying NSX 1 will require me to book a few days off from work to fly over (5-6 hour flight) to British Columbia (BC). I also plan on driving the car across Canada, from BC back to Ontario.

Thanks guys (and girls?)! :smile:

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,
Even though I am not an NSX owner yet, I wanted to chime in share my opinion and send you best wishes in finding a great car. It is true that you are not planning on developing a lifelong relationship with the person that you are buying the car from, however, you should feel comfortable with them and be able to feel very comfortable asking as many questions as you wish. Good luck.

Hi Andrew,number two.it has just had timing belt/water pump done plus its local to you.if seat color is the only issue get seat covers or re skin them to the color of choice(around $600 from leather seats.com).Of course you want to check the car out in person.good luck.

Re: #1 .. couple of points .. although the car has survived 22 years and 48.5k miles without the snap ring failure, that isn't necessarily indicative of a trouble-free future. Others on Prime have had sudden failures after extended ownership and the cost to fix is not insignificant so it could be a ticking time bomb and somewhat risky. Also, if the timing belt was done in 2006, it will need to be done again soon .. I think the guideline is 7 years or 80k miles whichever is LESS which means you're close based on time. Of course, if you choose to ignore due to low mileage, then you've got a second ticking time bomb. If the window problem is just that it's slow, then you can prob fix it if you're handy .. instructions in Wiki. Same with the sound system .. you're prob looking at $85 for each of the 3 amps to have BrianK fix them.

Also do a Google search on the VINs as they may have add'l info in the NSX Registry (which is part of Prime but which is easily found by using Google).

Hey Andrew- Welcome to Prime

I think these are both good looking cars, but there are key differences between them, and it's up to you as to what matters. #1 has low miles, but a bit of maintenance and unclear history, and #2 is apparently in great shape, but has higher miles. As others have said- absolutely Google the heck out of these cars to see what you can find- also try to find out if any of the previous owners were Prime members, and what their user handles were.

For #1- Definitely have a BC NSX'er -or preferably a shop familiar with NSXs check out the car via a detailed PPI. Are you SURE the snap ring issue has not been rectified? They may be able to check this during the PPI. There are a few shops in the YVR area with good NSX experience. If the car checks out OK you can always use the snap ring, TB/WP, items etc. as leverage in negotiations to get the price down. Those are addressable issues, and there is a wealth of NSX knowledge & expertise to help you rectify them. Then if all works out you can fly to BC and drive home a happy man! That drive would be worth it for the memories alone.

If you do pull the trigger on this car you might want to think about getting the snap ring and timing belt/water pump AND damper pulley fixed before you drive across our great nation- mitigate the risk of being stranded.

or

If NSX #2 is indeed PERFECT (as confirmed by a PPI) and you don't mind the interior color (or paying to change the color) then that might be the one for you. But don't just buy it because it's close to you, buy it because it's the right car for you. It looks like the price is now reduced to $30K, which imo is more in line with the mileage. Mileage is nothing on these cars, and it's great to have records, but not necessary, imo.</SPAN>

Higher miles with a detailed history or lower miles with some normal work required? Tough choice, but it’s up to you.
Keep us posted!</SPAN>

Last edited:
Back